Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One and Done
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
This is a bit of a brain teaser to see how many certified "One and Done" autograph cards collectors can identify for others.

The rules are that it must be an on-card signature, that the signer has not to date been on ANY OTHER autograph card and that there is some reason to believe that he/she may never appear on another one. They don't have to be the more expensive cards, but some will be.

Cut signatures cards don't count. Any sticker autographs don't count and automatically eliminate that signer because one sticker appearance can mean many to follow. Parallel signed cards also eliminate the signer because it isn't the same version and is a second card. Don't cite any 1/1 cards from modern or historical signers, as those cards are impossible to find.

"One and Done" signers who passed away afterwards are solid picks, but some signers can only be assumed to not have another suitable project. That's a judgement call. It's not as easy to come up with good cards as you think. More common names than stars might come to mind, but they could also reappear more easily unless deceased.

If someone has already identified a suitable "One and Done" card, it shouldn't be relisted by anyone else. To start off with examples, here are four cards and four actors that I would include, but they may have slightly different future predictions:

1. David Bowie in "The Man Who Fell To Earth - Passed away (certain).

2. Edward Norton in "The Hulk" - Unlikely to work in another suitable project that has cards (assumption).

3. Liam Neeson in "Batman Begins" - Age and unlikely to have another suitable project with cards (assumption).

4. Tobey Maguire in "Spider-Man - Tough call to make, true now but he could well have more chances to sign.

That's the basic idea. Respond anyway you like.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Barbara Bach....Women of Bond

Kirsten Dunst....Small Soldiers

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

2. Edward Norton in "The Hulk" - Unlikely to work in another suitable project that has cards (assumption).

4. Tobey Maguire in "Spider-Man - Tough call to make, true now but he could well have more chances to sign.

Hard for either of these guys to be a "one and done" given that (according to Allender's site) they both have already signed two cards.

Edward Norton

The Incredible Hulk (2008 Movie) Autograph and Costume Expansion Rittenhouse Archives – 2008

Autograph Cards

-- Edward Norton as Bruce Banner

Three-Set-Purchase Incentive Autograph Cards (125 made)

-- Edward Norton as The Incredible Hulk

Tobey Maguire

Spider-Man 3 (Movie) Rittenhouse Archives – 2007

Autograph Cards Very Limited (200-300 signed)
-- Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man

EXPANSION SET A (2008)
-- Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker Autograph Card

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
But to answer your question, it's unlikely that any of these will sign any more cards, given that they are dead.

Charles Macaulay 1998 Fleer/SkyBox Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 2 A41
David Macklin 2002 Rittenhouse The Complete Twilight Zone (50th Anniversary) A-122
Frank Maher 2003 Cards Inc The Very Best of The Saint SA17
William Marshall 1998 Fleer/SkyBox Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 2 A56
Zena Marshall 2003 Rittenhouse Women of James Bond in Motion WA6
Nan Martin 2002 Rittenhouse Twilight Zone - Shadows and Substance Series 3 A-46
Lois Maxwell 1998 Inkworks The Women of James Bond A2
Earl McClung 2009 iCardz America at War: Band of Brothers Series 1 SP7
Ed McMahon 2007 Donruss Americana 93
Ralph McQuarrie 2010 Topps Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back 3D
Ib Melchior 2007 Breygent Vintage Poster Collection: Classic Sci-Fi & Horror IMAC
Donna Michelle 1999 Paradigm Playboy Centerfold Collector Cards Dec Edition 30
Martin Milner 1999 Rittenhouse Archives Twilight Zone Trading Cards [season 1] A-7
Yvonne Monlaur 2000 CMA Hammer Horror Entombed [redemp from factory sets]
Rowena Morrill 1993 FPG Rowena [sn of 1000]

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
My bad, I'm not fact checking anybody. I was only aware of one each for Norton, which I have, and Maguire, which I don't. Figured I'd get tripped up by the likes of Pop Century and Americana stickers more than anything else.

Now bringing up "The Twilight Zone", there is a bunch of signers from the earlier sets that have passed away. The hard part is that many signed twice or in other titles. I don't recall seeing more than one for these stars:
Lois Nettleton
Rod Taylor
Dennis Weaver
Fritz Weaver
Buddy Ebsen
Sidney Pollack

I'd say Mickey Rooney too, but he may have shown up in another title. You can find more in TZ cards.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know. Neeson might sign again after a recent (ghostly) appearance in a Star Wars show.

quote:
This is a bit of a brain teaser to see how many certified "One and Done" autograph cards collectors can identify for others.

The rules are that it must be an on-card signature, that the signer has not to date been on ANY OTHER autograph card and that there is some reason to believe that he/she may never appear on another one. They don't have to be the more expensive cards, but some will be.

Cut signatures cards don't count. Any sticker autographs don't count and automatically eliminate that signer because one sticker appearance can mean many to follow. Parallel signed cards also eliminate the signer because it isn't the same version and is a second card. Don't cite any 1/1 cards from modern or historical signers, as those cards are impossible to find.

"One and Done" signers who passed away afterwards are solid picks, but some signers can only be assumed to not have another suitable project. That's a judgement call. It's not as easy to come up with good cards as you think. More common names than stars might come to mind, but they could also reappear more easily unless deceased.

If someone has already identified a suitable "One and Done" card, it shouldn't be relisted by anyone else. To start off with examples, here are four cards and four actors that I would include, but they may have slightly different future predictions:

1. David Bowie in "The Man Who Fell To Earth - Passed away (certain).

3. Liam Neeson in "Batman Begins" - Age and unlikely to have another suitable project with cards (assumption).

That's the basic idea. Respond anyway you like.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless she is desperate for work, how about Meghan Markle A16 from Fringe?

Posts: 48 | Location: Oswego, NY | Registered: June 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Diana Rigg signed cards at a UK show circa 2012 on one of the Unstoppable Avengers sets, and that was it. She is gone now.

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now bringing up "The Twilight Zone", there is a bunch of signers from the earlier sets that have passed away. The hard part is that many signed twice or in other titles. I don't recall seeing more than one for these stars:
Lois Nettleton
Rod Taylor
Dennis Weaver
Fritz Weaver
Buddy Ebsen
Sidney Pollack

I think you are right with all of these -- only one each.

I'd also suspect that many/most of the people who have signed for ST:TOS cards have passed.

Likewise, nearly everyone who signed for the 1998 SkyBox Marvel: The Silver Age set has passed (Roy Thomas is still around), and they mostly signed only for that set (except for Stan Lee and Gene Colan, I think).

quote:

I'd say Mickey Rooney too, but he may have shown up in another title. You can find more in TZ cards.

He's got a bunch of Americana signed cards.

There's a number of sets with people who signed only for that set, and there's no reasonable expectation that there would ever be another set for them to sign again, even if they are still alive. For example:
1992 Pro Line Portrait Wives
American Idol
various Playboy centerfolds
Star Pics Soaps of ABC

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Mullins,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Frank Oz and Vin Diesel

F.Murray Abraham Star Trek

Melody Anderson BSG

I think Sam Jones (Flash Gordon) only has one from Stargate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4844 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's another thing to think about:
What is the oldest non-sport card you could reasonably expect to get autographed?
Christopher Walken is on a 1953 Bowman card.
Queen Elizabeth is on a 1952 Look'n See (but let's take her off the table, as royalty does not sign cards for commoners like us, and that way we don't have to worry about her 1935 card.)

There are a bunch of baseball and football players with cards from the 1950s (and even 1940s) who are alive and still able to sign. But the list of people on nonsports cards who qualify is shorter, I'd think.

My candidate for "oldest card" has a Topps card from the 1940s, but has been professionally active in the last couple of years. I'd love to see someone come up with someone from an older card, but am interested in anyone who is still alive and appeared on a 1950s card.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I don't know. Neeson might sign again after a recent (ghostly) appearance in a Star Wars show.

I agree it's a possibility but ya gotta wonder how many times he has been asked already. Personally I consider him a one and done at this point.

Posts: 4844 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I could see Vin Diesel signing again for a Guardians of the Galaxy/Groot card.

Jeffrey Jones signed once for Sleepy Hollow in 1999, and then got himself arrested for sex crimes in 2000. Probably won't see him sign anything ever again.

Ellen Cleghorne, Chris Farley, and Phil Hartman all signed a single time for Star Pics SNL, and then went and died. "One and done" for sure.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Basically most of the SNL sigs from Star Pics. Farley and Hartman

I would consider Tommy Lee Jones a one and done.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Could be wrong but I think Tobin Bell has only signed one.

Robert England?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
I could see Vin Diesel signing again for a Guardians of the Galaxy/Groot card.

Same thing, ya gotta wonder how many times Vin and Cooper have already turned it down. Plus this version of GotG has about run its course. I think Cooper is a one time "on card" signer as well. I know he did some stickers.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Ellen Page will probably never sign as Ellen again. But she did sign a single and duo card for UA.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Julie Christie for Harry Potter. I think Miranda Richardson too. Both still around of course.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Julie Christie for Harry Potter. I think Miranda Richardson too. Both still around of course.

Did Richard Harris only sign one?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Did Richard Harris only sign one?

Did he sign for HP? That would be a great card, but I can't recall ever seeing it. I didn't pay as much attention as I should have to HP.