Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Collecting thematically
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collecting thematically
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
It just occurred to me the other day that I wonder how many of you (if any) have thought about collecting thematically. It's fairly common in stamp collecting with people collecting only those stamps that depict birds, butterflies, ships & aircraft etc. For my two cents I couldn't bear to bring myself to mix up sets putting a collection together of cards that just depicted (say) cars or wombats.
Anyone??

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Starchild
posted Hide Post
I do not think my brain would ever allow for this; unless, of course, I had a rather inexpensive collection of spare cards that I could put together to make a different set of some type. But never to an original set.

Posts: 603 | Location: CT | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't call it collecting thematically, but my main focus is collecting certified autograph cards. I will collect the signatures of people that I like, usually based on some particular movie or TV roles, and I may not get any other cards in that set. Since these are certified autograph cards it eliminates most reasonable doubts of authentication, but my collection is derived from a hodge podge of products with no real intention of completing anything. Maybe Game of Thrones, but I'm a long way off for that.

That is not the same thing as those people who want to collect for example every porceline turtle or frog that they see, which is what you are talking about, only in depicted card images. I would think that would be both tiring and pointless as an exercise. You could just as well cut out pictures from newspapers and magazines and it would cost you less time and money than trying to run down suitable cards.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Yeah, totally agree with both of you, but what's curious is that it works with stamp collecting.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well I have a few friends who travel both foreign and domestic and they have a habit of coming back with those pressed out and stamped coins that apparently are done in machines at tourist places.

I don't get it as a souvenir either, but it seems to make them happy. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
I think this is how my collecting has evolved. I haven't collected sets since Artbox stopped producing Harry Potter cards. I have a binder with rock star autos from many different sets, a Disney binder with Reel Piece of History filmcards, trading cards from the Disney parks, even a Patrick Warburton auto (he's part of the Soarin' ride), and more. I'm having fun picking and choosing which cards to chase, usually at a cost much less than if I were buying sealed boxes.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been collecting since the first Marvel Universe set by Impel came out in 1990. Eventually switched to mainly collecting promos, but I do have a few thematic collections.

1. title cards/#1 and checklists (as well as parallel version) to save on binder space. The title card gives you a feel for the set and the checklist basically lets you know what the set contains.
2. specific character base cards (a) Spider-man, Venom, Carnage and (b) Human Torch, Captain America, and Namor.
3. cards by specific artist - Mike Mignola, Dave Devries, Bill Sienkiewicz.
4. boxloader cards - usually you would have to purchase three or more boxes of a product and NOT get any duplicates to complete a set.
5. comicbook inserted cards - mainly from the 90's.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: April 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
It would save me a lot more money to be more focused! However, I tend to by in these areas.
1. Television shows or movies I have watched or are currently watching.
2. Marvel comic movies and the Women of Marvel sets.
3. Star Trek autograph cards (but since I am on a budget (I tend to buy for under 5.00)
4. Back in 2007 I sold a large portion of my Inkworks autosgraph collection off. Today, I am buying them back at a fraction of what I made a profit off of! (Sweet!)

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I can't do it. I'm a die-hard completist, which is frustrating beyond all belief.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
I don't collect thematically. But selling my duplicates I found a lot of buyers and collectors moving in that way.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post