Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOTR Arts
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Thanks Triple-Frog, that is wonderful. I hope you will share what you find, sketch alongside screen-cap. BTW: Have you visited the LOTR storyboards on my site:
FOTR storyboard, TT storyboard, ROTK storyboard. I hope you enjoy these.

Posts: 41 | Location: Australia | Registered: January 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The storyboards are exceptional and show a much more extensive knowledge of the movies than I have Smile .

I can't hope to match your expertise linking sketches to scenes but I will post try and post some of my collection where the scene is particularly well known.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you again Triple-Frog for your very kind words regarding the storyboards. Apart from watching the three LOTR films many times, my knowledge of the scenes was enhanced by a number of wonderful websites (acknowledged in my storyboard introduction), but for your easy reference they are listed below.

I hope you will visit often and can check-out the other sites and gain as much enjoyment as I did. Looking forward to seeing your collection.

LOTR screen-cap websites

LOTR TK421
framecaplib
Arwen-undomiel Screencapped.org

Posts: 41 | Location: Australia | Registered: January 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To commemorate the 127th anniversary of J.R.R. Tolkien’s birth-date on 3 January 2019 and the second anniversary of the launch of , a dedication to Roger Garland (who tragically died in October 2017) has been posted in: Middle-earth artists : showcase .

This dedication gives an account of Roger’s life and influences and highlights his unique Middle-earth art, a small sample of which is displayed below.

Barad-dûr

Gollum

Smaug the Magnificent

Two Trees of Valinor

It is hoped that you find this dedication informative and entertaining and providing an insight into Roger as a remarkable artist and gentle, gracious and generous person.

posted Hide Post
Such beautiful work...!

Posts: 71 | Location: Province of Quebec | Registered: March 27, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Card Talk Ms. Hardy, you don't do so bad yourself. I have been lucky enough to pull some of your work from Grimm, AvP, Aliens and of course LotR boxes. Just wanted to tip my hat. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Raven, thank you for the welcome!

Posts: 71 | Location: Province of Quebec | Registered: March 27, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
That Smaug image is amazing!

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ingrid Hardy:
Such beautiful work...!

Dear Ingrid, thank you for stopping-by and for your kind words about Roger's work. Roger’s contribution to art, especially that of Middle-earth, was remarkable, his untimely death is a huge loss to the art-world.

As Raven notes, your own art is amazing, a small sample of this can be found on LOTRArts at: LOTRArts articles

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
That Smaug image is amazing!

Thank you mykdude: I agree, Roger’s depiction of Smaug is iconic.

posted Hide Post
Lots of things are happening on and being planned for posting in February.

Kenneth Ditrich, dedicated LOTR guru,contributed to LOTRArtsspecial feature Middle-earth artists : showcase with an article on the Middle-earth art of Alan Lee. He has now completed a fascinating and insightful article on the Middle-earth art of John Howe, highlighting John’s artistic influence on literature and film.

This article can be found at: Middle-earth artists : showcase . [30sec load]

Below is a preview of this article and John’s remarkable art.

“Peter Jackson would reach out to John Howe in 1998 to determine his interest in working as one of the main conceptual artists for his Lord of the Rings film production. Most art critics considered John Howe to be one of the two premier Tolkien Middle-earth illustrators of their time. The other artist would be, of course, Alan Lee. Peter Jackson’s choice for the two conceptual artists he would rely upon to help him bring J.R.R. Tolkien’s world and words to life should come as no surprise to anyone. Prior to contacting John Howe, Peter Jackson had spent a good deal of time gathering together copies of John Howe’s portfolio of Middle-earth illustrations. They are what convinced him that John Howe would be an excellent choice to be one of the main conceptual artists for his film project. In particular, there were three images created by John Howe which would inspire him and Fran Walsh to proceed with a film adaptation. These three images - ‘Sam and Shelob’, ‘Eowyn and the Nazgul’ and ‘At the Ford’ by John Howe first appeared in the 1991 Tolkien calendar and all seemed like still images from a movie.”

Sam and Shelob

Eowyn and the Nazgul

Flight to the Ford

“Peter Jackson was also convinced that John Howe’s Illustrations of Gandalf were the exact image he wanted to see portrayed in his films. Here are a few of John Howe’s Gandalf illustrations which Peter Jackson was determined to duplicate in his films.”

Gandalf The Grey

Gandalf Returns to Hobbiton

Gandalf

Gandalf In The Shire

“Sir Ian McKellen would spend many hours in makeup and wardrobe tests in an effort in ensure John’s Howe’s illustrations of Gandalf were duplicated in Peter Jackson’s films. It would appear those hours were well worth the effort.”

“Here are a few more of John Howe’s illustrations which had a major impact on Peter Jackson’s films.”

Bilbo’s Front Hall

Minas Morgul

Barad-dur

The Argonath

The Dark Tower

Minas Tirith

The Bridge of Khazad-dum

Gandalf Falls With The Balrog

Smaug Attacks Laketown

Gwaihir Rescues Gandalf from Orthanc

“It will be the goal of my John Howe article on LOTRArts to take a look at the portfolio of Tolkien related art he created which would draw the attention of Peter Jackson as he was preparing to begin work on the Lord of the Rings films. This portfolio would inevitably lead to John Howe being recruited to work along side of Alan Lee as the main conceptual artists for the LOTR and Hobbit film trilogies.”

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Those are fantastic, thanks for posting. Clap

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you wolfie for stopping-by and for your kind comment. I am glad you liked the posting of John’s art. It is the incredible imagery created by so many artists that makes us Tolkien enthusiasts so passionate and committed to Middle-earth. Lots more coming.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Makes me want to watch the whole trilogy all over again. I remember the artists and their incredible work highlighted in the special features on the DVDs.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you cardaddict, it is fantastic that showcasing this Middle-earth art has inspired you to watch the movies again – I am sure all the artists would find that a great compliment…