Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOTR Arts
 Login/Join

posted
Hi

I have recently joined your discussion forum (although I have been 'visiting' for some time), so I hope I have posted my topic in the correct place. If not, apologies, and could a moderator please move it to where it should be, thank you.

After many years of collecting, I have created LOTR Arts, a site inspired by The Lord of the Rings, to showcase my collection of books, sketches, sketch storyboards, other artwork, replicas and self-authored books.

This website launched on 3 January 2017 to celebrate the 125th anniversary of J.R.R. Tolkien's birthday:

www.lotrarts.com

Although I am a member of the Scoundrel Art Community Forum, where the site was formally launched, it was suggested that I should also join and post this announcement on your discussion forum, where I can see there are many dedicated sketch card collectors.

Enjoy!

Posts: 41 | Location: Australia | Registered: January 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's a fantastic collection of sketches Thumb Up and very well presented too. The original art is great as well. How do you have room for it all Eek .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Triple-Frog for visiting LOTR Arts – and for your very kind words about the site and collection.

At the moment, I am renovating my home, so all my large artwork is stored away; that is why, as I mentioned in the introduction, I have had to use artists’ photos of these. However, when my renovations are complete, I will have a small but purpose-built collection room, so I will be able to display the artwork etc. I will then take photos of the collection displays and post these on the site.

Thank you again and I hope you will revisit the site soon. A few things are planned for February, eg posting an interview with Soni Alcorn-Hender and The Two Towers sketch storyboard.

Posts: 41 | Location: Australia | Registered: January 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all who have visited LOTR Arts, and those who have sent messages and kind words about the site.

I am very pleased to announce that Instalment 1 of The Two Towers storyboard (that is, the collation of script, sketches and screen caps of Chapters 1 to 15), has been uploaded at:

lotrarts.com

Instalment 2, Chapters 16 to 31, will be uploaded on 26 February.

I hope this storyboard recreates some of the excitement and imagery of the epic book and film.

Also, newly posted Article (2), provides a fascinating interview with artist, Soni Alcorn-Hender (BohemianWeasel).

posted Hide Post
A quick update on the latest development on .

Instalment 2 of The Two Towers sketch storyboard (that is, the collation of script, sketches and screen caps of Chapters 16 to 31), has been uploaded at:

LOTR Arts The Two Towers storyboard.

We have improved the navigation between the storyboard chapters and a further enhancement will occur in March.

I hope seeing the completion of this Two Towers storyboard brings back wonderful memories of the film.

Coming up in March:

• article (3), provides an intriguing insight into collecting replicas – this will be the first of a series of articles on replica collecting

• upload of a set of recently acquired sketches

• the ‘release’ of The Return of the King storyboard.

I hope you will visit and provide suggestions for site enhancements and future articles.

posted Hide Post
Another quick update on the latest developments on .

In order to provide all the sketch images for the storyboards, where an official Topps sketch was not available, personal sketch cards (PSC) were commissioned from a number of remarkable artists. Three artists undertook to complete the majority of these sketches: Javier Gonzalez from Blackhilt Studios and the dynamic duo of Jason Potratz and Jack Hai. Many of their amazing creations have already been featured in the sketch collection when the site was released in January, however, a number of their PSC were received after this.

This March update showcases eleven of Javier’s PSC. All are poignant and dramatic scenic depictions, three of which are spectacular uncut two-card panels of multi-character scenes, these can be viewed (and expanded for a detailed view of the artistry) at:
LOTR Arts new art.

In addition, the chapter navigation for the storyboards has been further enhanced (with the chapter numbers transferring as you scroll from the top to the end of each chapter). These storyboards can be viewed at:
LOTR Arts FOTR storyboard
LOTR Arts TT storyboard.

Planned for 26 March: instalment 1 of The Return of the King sketch storyboard.

posted Hide Post
March 25 is the Tolkien Society’s international Tolkien Reading Day Tolkien Reading Day.

To help celebrate this event is releasing instalment 1 of The Return of the King sketch storyboard at:

ROTK storyboard_LOTR Arts

March has seen many exciting developments on the site and there are lots more to come in April:

• article (4) on the inspiration of The Lord of the Rings on art by the masterful artist Keven Reinke and featuring his artwork

• showcasing some recent PCSs from Jason Potratz and Jack Hai

• instalment 2 of The Return of the King sketch storyboard

• adding more elements of Howard Shore’s entrancing LOTR musical themes

• configuring the site for tablets and mobiles.

I hope you have an opportunity to visit and enjoy .

posted Hide Post
It has been an eventful three months on since its release, and it is a pleasure to mark this event with an article from Keven Reinke, photo-real pencil artist, on the inspiration of The Lord of the Rings on his art and to showcase 38 of his stunning LOTR and Star Wars portraits – truly remarkable, dramatic and emotive characterisations:

LOTR Arts_articles

Enjoy!

posted Hide Post
YB could you contact me regarding your LOTR ARTS.
My email is in my profile..
Fantastic website, always look forward to new updates.

Posts: 138 | Location: England | Registered: August 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you AUS for visiting and your kind words about the site. It is wonderful to know that others are sharing and enjoying my Middle-earth journey - I will keep in contact with updates.

posted Hide Post
A quick update on the latest developments on .

As mentioned previously, the dynamic duo of Jason Potratz and Jack Hai have provided many sketch images for the site's storyboards. Most of their amazing creations were featured in the sketch collection when the site was released in January, however, a number of their PSCs were received after this.

This 16 April update showcases five of Jason’s and Jack’s PSCs. Four for The Return of the King storyboard and one to complete a scene for The Fellowship of the Ring. Seething with drama, these sketches remarkably transform film into sketch imagery. These sketches can be seen (and expanded for a detailed view of the artistry) at:

LOTR Arts new art.

This brings to a total of 185 of sketches from Jason and Jack (of both official cards and PSCs) featured on LOTR Arts: these can viewed in the artist gallery at:

LOTR Arts sketch artists.

These may well be the last sketches from Jason and Jack, with Jason’s move from Vietnam. If this is the case, it would be a very sad outcome for sketch collecting.

Still coming up in April:

Instalment 2 of The Return of the King storyboard will be posted by the end of the month.
[Chapters 1 to 17 are already displayed at: ROTK storyboard.]

This instalment will complete the storyboards for the three LOTR films. It has been an exhilarating labour of love completing this grail.

However, other exciting projects have been planned for LOTR Arts in May:

• an article from a collecting comrade on her collecting experiences and showcasing her exceptional collection

• a sketch storyline display of iconic Middle-earth locations

• expanding the magic of Howard Shore’s film score on LOTR Arts.

posted Hide Post
The trilogy of LOTR sketch storyboards has now been completed with the uploading of the second instalment of The Return of the King. This storyboard can be found at:

ROTK storyboard

To mark this occasion, ROTK’s official movie trailer (from Movieclips.com) has been uploaded temporarily on the site.

Future projects

In May, a journey across Middle-earth via sketches of iconic locations will be presented in storyboard form, as well as trialling this in video format.

In June, a further sketch set will display magical Middle-earth moments (in storyboard and video formats).

In July+, the FOTR, TT and ROTK sketch storyboards will be displayed on LOTR Arts YouTube.

posted Hide Post
Another quick update on what is happening at .

1. One of the most wonderful things about The Lord of the Rings sketch collecting at the time of the release of the Topps sets was the camaraderie that developed between like-minded collectors and artists in the LOTR sketch community, and a major contributor to this group was Holly. Holly has kindly offered to write about her sketch collecting experiences and showcase some of her amazing collection. You can read her story at:

LOTR Arts articles.

2. There can be no better thrill than trying to reunite a sketch card panel where the pieces have been randomly inserted into packs. The LOTR Arts collection has a number of such remarkable reunions. This will be the subject of a LOTR Arts article to be posted in September.

In 2006, Renae De Liz completed 110 sketches for Masterpieces set, including some stunningly unique multi-panels. One such panel depicted the saga of the Rings of Power. Featured in New Art is the recent acquisition of the third piece of this panel:

LOTR Arts New Art.

3. Scheduled now for June: a LOTR storyline journey to iconic Middle-earth locations in sketch storyboard and video formats.

posted Hide Post
Been away from posting here too long absorbed with lots of things happening behind the scenes on , for example:

• building a database functionality to fully showcase the sketch journeys across iconic locations of Middle-earth and epic LOTR scenes (still being finalised)

• organising articles for the remainder of 2017, eg for October, one collector’s fascinating account of his search for the location of the thirty-six Gandalf the Grey bronze statues.

As the September article, I am pleased to announce the completion of ‘The passion for the panel’: LOTR Arts articles. I hope you find it interesting.
As an offshoot of this article, a new sort facility is being created to specifically display all panels in the sketch gallery.

posted Hide Post
The Lord of the Rings has generated a passion for all things Middle-earth and inspired many collecting goals. One of the most unique is Ken’s Fellowship character sets. In an article (with scans of amazing art), Ken gives an account of the inspiration for, and his many years of dedication to, creating multiple Fellowship (and Hobbit Dwarf) sets. This fascinating article can be read at: articles.

posted Hide Post
This update highlights the passion to collect a single special sketch.

One of the most emotive LOTR scenes occurs as Arwen is leaving Middle-earth and she has a vision of her son, Eldarion, held by Aragorn.

Only a few Topps artists chose to depict this heartrending moment. One of my greatest collecting regrets was being outbid on a magnificent Eldarion and Aragorn sketch. Long ago that sketch disappeared into a collection, never to be seen again.

I had seen only one other Eldarion sketch of the same emotive quality and that resided in a UK collection. So more than a decade later when this sketch was offered to me, I leapt at the opportunity; another magical moment added to the LOTR Arts storyboard collection. See this remarkably poignant sketch at: LOTR Arts New Art.

Also, in November, a new feature was added to the site. In addition to specific articles prepared for, the site's news section will feature links to articles about Tolkien or LOTR posted on other websites: LOTR Arts News

posted Hide Post
This December update on highlights:

• an interview with David Rabbitte about art and Middle-earth, showcasing his spectacular art:
LOTR Arts articles

• a wonderful sketch of ‘The Eagles are Coming’ by Gabriel Hernandez:
LOTR Arts New Art

• articles from other sites on Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings:
LOTR Arts News

Wishing everyone a wonderful New Year, may 2018 bring you much joy and many blessings.

from sydneyexpert.com

posted Hide Post
More than a decade in the making, is the fulfilment of a Middle-earth dream to honour JRR Tolkien’s and P Jackson’s Lord of the Rings masterpieces.

Showcasing a diverse collection, ranging from books, replicas, art to authored works, the website was launched on 3 January 2017 to commemorate the 125th anniversary of Tolkien’s birth. However, this was not the end of the Middle-earth journey, but a new beginning. Celebrating its first anniversary, the website features:

• an article on this journey: LOTR Arts articles

• a spectacular piece of ‘Bohemian Weasel’ art: LOTR Arts New Art

posted Hide Post
February update features a fascinating article and an amazing set of MI and MII sketches.

The search for 'the 36': LOTR Arts articles

This article provides a remarkable account of the creation of the WETA limited edition bronze statue of Gandalf, the search for the location of all 36 statues, a fascinating interview with the sculptor and many amazing photos, eg.

The search for storyboard sketches: LOTR Arts New Art

After more than a decade of Lord of the Rings sketch collecting, the passion for these mini masterpieces persists but the time of frenzy acquisition has drawn to a close. However, the search continues for sketches which enhance or complete the imagery of the LOTR Arts sketch storyboards.

This update showcases eleven Masterpieces I and II sketches (featured with their screen cap), each in their own special way expressively depicting a character and scene, eg.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Very nice Thumb Up . You inspired me to get out my LOTR sketches to see if I had any I could tie directly to scenes Smile .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post