Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Favorite Guilty Pleasure Card
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Guilty Pleasure Card
 Login/Join

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted
If I see one of these on a trade list, I trade for it. I have close to 50 of them. All the same card.
Fantastic Four Movie (Upper Deck)
DD003 Doom's Cloak #ed out of 4999.
My lowest 0187, highest 4981

Usually when I say I will trade for one people sigh in relief! Horray they think! Finally!

I can't explain it. I just love this card.
To a lesser extent I love all the Doctor Doom Costume cards from Fantastic Four and when it was in one of the Marvel Masterpieces Upper deck sets but I only have a few of each one of those. No this is my weakness. My holy grail would to be 108 years old and be like, "I finally got all 4999 of them!" Then die.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It's all a guilty pleasure, whether we know it or not. Big Grin There was only one card that I ever tried to get numerous copies of, and it wasn't in non-sport.

In 1989 Upper Deck came out with its premiere baseball card set and the Ken Griffey Jr. rookie was the number one card. He was going to be a superstar and break all the Hall of Fame records. The UD set was the first ultra expensive baseball cards to hit the market, I think it was a big $1.50 a pack SRP. The hobby stores jacked up the prices right away, mainly because of the Griffey rookie, but all the cards were borderless and glossy and way better looking than Topps, Fleer or Donruss. They were selling out all over.

I must have picked up about ten Griffeys before the price skyrocketed to a high around $180. Know how much they are worth today? The guides are around $25, going on about $10. Big Grin

Its still a great looking card and I laugh everytime I see it. Does that count as a guilty pleasure? Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Don't have anything as high as 50, but I do have 15 of this card

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
The most I have of any "important" cards are 3. 1 of the Lorne pieceworks cards from Angel Season 5. The material was so unique and I kept pulling it from boxes that I kept all 3 lol

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
If I see one of these on a trade list, I trade for it. I have close to 50 of them. All the same card.
Fantastic Four Movie (Upper Deck)
DD003 Doom's Cloak #ed out of 4999.
My lowest 0187, highest 4981

Usually when I say I will trade for one people sigh in relief! Horray they think! Finally!

I can't explain it. I just love this card.
To a lesser extent I love all the Doctor Doom Costume cards from Fantastic Four and when it was in one of the Marvel Masterpieces Upper deck sets but I only have a few of each one of those. No this is my weakness. My holy grail would to be 108 years old and be like, "I finally got all 4999 of them!" Then die.

I've got 10 of these (pack pulled) with numbers ranging from 340 to 4010

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
]

If you are looking to let them go, just drop me an e-mail at Barobehere2@comcast.net

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
]

If you are looking to let them go, just drop me an e-mail at Barobehere2@comcast.net

Hanging on to them for the time being.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guilty Pleasure

It's all a Guilty Pleasure, or addiction which ever way you look at it. Eek

I go for variant costume cards at times but only if they are cheap.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Flag City Collectibles
posted Hide Post
I didn't think I had any multiples of cards but glancing at my collection I have several costume / prop variants from harry potter where I had to have every type of swatch that was available. Too many to list here

Posts: 749 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Mine would be from Dinosaur Attacks, one of my favorite sets from all time. It's still cheap too, the entire set, and any self respecting card collector should have at least one in their collection. But my favorite guilty pleasure card is #41, Entombed. It shows a hunter being fused with a T-rex as the dino is teleported from prehistoric times to ours. Everything about this card is neat: The full moon, the sexy babe in the back, and the horror of the participants seeing what has happened to their friend (and euthanizing him/ it!) I love to collect these and pass them off to others as free sample "card crack" to get them addicted to Dino-Tax (or Nonsports in general). It backfired though, as I got even more addicted myself, so when the original painting by Xno turned up for sale, I found myself unable to resist it. (The Xno original showed a priest warding off the monster with a cross, and was later replaced by an Earl Norm painting of a hunter with a gun instead of a crucifix). I've never seen the Norm one for sale, but wish I had that too! Another great one is #39, Trilobite Terror (guy getting his eyes eaten out by a large Trilobite) and #19, Madness in the Streets (with a blind guy walking into a dino's waiting open jaw). What a blast it was seeing those beautiful art cards during a time when so few good cards were produced. They had wonderful images and a delightful, original story. They are everything great cards are meant to be- and just 25 cents per pack!

BTW, the only reason I call them a guilty pleasure is because their cheap price makes many snobs look down on them. But if this set had not been over printed and flooded the market, it would be a different story entirely. Based on its artistic merit alone, I shutter to think what it would cost if it had been a rare test series only.

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post