Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Just did my very first Case Break
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Just did my very first Case Break
 Login/Join
 
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Pop Century....won Judd Nelson for $18
 
Posts: 4320 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So . . . I assume that means you get all Judd cards pulled out of the case, right?

Good luck! Let us know what you end up winning.
 
Posts: 5232 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Yeah that's how it works. I'm saying I did win. One of the nicer ones too. (blue with full sig on sticker)

I get it's gambling but figured I never tried it before. Can't see paying the price for more difficult pulls.
 
Posts: 4320 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
sounds intresting, how does this work?

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28833 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
sounds intresting, how does this work?


For pop century basically you bid on a celebrity and you win any card featuring them in the case. Obviously if not in the case you lose out.

They break open the case live on youtube so you get to watch.

Not something I would do for more difficult pulls but something fun if you can play for under $20. I have another one in for Angelica Huston for $8 which won't break until the 3rd.

Pretty much lottery with cards. But then again opening boxes is pretty much a lottery with cards too. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,
 
Posts: 4320 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thanks, sounds like fun without breaking the bank.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28833 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Thanks, sounds like fun without breaking the bank.


They do this alot in sports cards - bid for a particular team or player and get all cards from the case.
 
Posts: 12086 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Great deal, and I thought about trying that, too, since Judd was the main card I want from this set, and boxes are prohibitively expensive. In the end, I just bought a single for $30 (out of /10). I'd greatly prefer the regular design (on paper stock!), but these "Growing Up Graphs" look OK.

Related to that, I get why all the child actors are in that subset, and even the Fonz and the Hulk (since kids watched the shows those characters were from religiously) and maybe Love Boat's Ted Lange and Beverly Hillbillies' Max Baer Jr. for the same reason, but why is Hal Linden in that design? While I watched "Barney Miller", I seldom remember talking about the night before's episode with the other kids during recess the next day.

____________________
Everywhere around this burg they're running out of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. Everywhere around this town, they're running out of nouns.
 
Posts: 3145 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
but why is Hal Linden in that design? While I watched "Barney Miller", I seldom remember talking about the night before's episode with the other kids during recess the next day.


Yeah remember the show as a kid (don't think I have seen it since) but Hal seems to be a staple in Pop Century world. He is in quite a few releases.
 
Posts: 4320 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've never participated in a case break like this -- what is your opinion of it? Were you happy with the process?

Would you consider doing it again?
 
Posts: 5232 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
They're a lot of fun, and you can watch the actual breaks online. Of course, it's a lot more fun when one of your cards hits. Depending on what comes out of the packs, there's a chance you get nothing.

____________________
Everywhere around this burg they're running out of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. Everywhere around this town, they're running out of nouns.
 
Posts: 3145 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Barney Miller" was one of my favorite shows. It was a great mix of characters who were well-written and well-acted. It had a reality to it.


quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
but why is Hal Linden in that design? While I watched "Barney Miller", I seldom remember talking about the night before's episode with the other kids during recess the next day.


Yeah remember the show as a kid (don't think I have seen it since) but Hal seems to be a staple in Pop Century world. He is in quite a few releases.
 
Posts: 3652 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I've never participated in a case break like this -- what is your opinion of it? Were you happy with the process?

Would you consider doing it again?


Yeah I have another one in for Angelica Huston. Like I said I can't see going to the high end with it. For example someone paid $66 for Bob Odenkirk and didn't win, another paid $61 for DeNiro and lost. Do that too many times and you could have just bought the card. But then another paid $36 for Kit Harrington and it popped for that individual.

You pay shipping up front but if you lose it is refunded back.
 
Posts: 4320 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:


Yeah remember the show as a kid (don't think I have seen it since)


"Barney Miller" runs on Antenna TV in the evenings in Huntsville on a digital subchannel on WHNT 19. We watch it fairly often (dropped cable years ago), and it holds up fairly well for sitcoms of the era.
 
Posts: 1861 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Group breaks are a lot of fun, especially if you like to gamble a little more.

Personally I am not a fan of the character type of breaks because you have a good possibility of getting skunked. All the breaks that I run are usually `hit' style where you divide the number of hits in a case by the cost of the case, add in shipping and any fees and that is the price for each spot. That way no one is ever skunked.
 
Posts: 822 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
Group breaks are a lot of fun, especially if you like to gamble a little more.

Personally I am not a fan of the character type of breaks because you have a good possibility of getting skunked. All the breaks that I run are usually `hit' style where you divide the number of hits in a case by the cost of the case, add in shipping and any fees and that is the price for each spot. That way no one is ever skunked.


Yeah but is that typically with sports cards? Not sure I have seen case breaks except with Pop Century. I have little interest in the sports side.
 
Posts: 4320 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
Group breaks are a lot of fun, especially if you like to gamble a little more.

Personally I am not a fan of the character type of breaks because you have a good possibility of getting skunked. All the breaks that I run are usually `hit' style where you divide the number of hits in a case by the cost of the case, add in shipping and any fees and that is the price for each spot. That way no one is ever skunked.


Yeah but is that typically with sports cards? Not sure I have seen case breaks except with Pop Century. I have little interest in the sports side.


Most of the modern trends started with sports. Not trying to promote but I have been doing non-sport breaks for 8-10 years and have done almost everything that has come out over that time. When I first noticed group breaks all I saw was sports so figured why not do non-sport. Even did a live one at the Philly show a few years back. Batman won a spot in it.
 
Posts: 822 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've always been kinda curious -- and I've seen a ton of your breaks, and am in the Facebook group, I think. . . I've just never really felt lucky enough to join in.
 
Posts: 5232 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Just did my very first Case Break

© Non-Sport Update 2013