Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Harry Potter expert needed
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Harry Potter expert needed
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Artbox did a fantastic job with Harry Potter. Presspass and Breygent did excellent jobs on their titles. It just proves that producing quality cards alone won't keep you in business. Sometimes I blame card collectors for not getting behind these companies more, but it's not that simple and many factors contribute to good manufacturers closing up shop.

Say what you will about Topps, they know how to survive.

I only said I was glad Artbox got to do Harry Potter!

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Artbox did a fantastic job with Harry Potter. Presspass and Breygent did excellent jobs on their titles. It just proves that producing quality cards alone won't keep you in business. Sometimes I blame card collectors for not getting behind these companies more, but it's not that simple and many factors contribute to good manufacturers closing up shop.

So this is how you get in trouble with the written word. Big Grin

The YOU in "say what YOU will", was not You Hammer. It was a general YOU, meant for card collectors as a group.

I did not quote your previous post in any way. I was agreeing with you about Artbox, but adding my own observations about Topps and others.

Nothing about my post put words in your mouth, as you seem to have taken it. I was merely lamenting the passing of some really good card manufacturers and congratulating Topps on holding up for decades.

Posts: 10381 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Get over yourself nobody cares you are one of the reasons this place has become a waste and all decent collectors have left. I don't care who disagrees I am entitled to a voice and my opinion come to a show and we can discuss you are not that far away.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
How do you know these are authentic?

Obviously, I can't be absolutely, 100% positive. But having been a collector for over 30 years and knowing what to look for to determine authenticity I am 99.99% sure they are the real thing.

Also, the seller who has over 10,000 stars on Ebay and is based out of New York, where topps is headquartered,gave me the history of how he acquired them before I agreed to buy them.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

So this is how you get in trouble with the written word. Big Grin

The YOU in "say what YOU will", was not You Hammer. It was a general YOU, meant for card collectors as a group.

I did not quote your previous post in any way. I was agreeing with you about Artbox, but adding my own observations about Topps and others.

Nothing about my post put words in your mouth, as you seem to have taken it. I was merely lamenting the passing of some really good card manufacturers and congratulating Topps on holding up for decades.

You are taking yourself far to seriously - I shouldn't have had to put a Smile on the end of my comment Smile

Simple thing is Topps is a huge company with deep pockets and fingers in many pies , they can have a couple of poor releases and get over them easily, the companies that have gone were too small to cope with a poor run. Artbox did great with HP but other than a couple of sets of 24 that was it. Breygent were let down by long approvals and great titles that didn't sell and inkworks had a bad run of titles that cost them. Biggest shame is Topps does little in the way of promotional work and survives whilst those that have gone were great for the hobby.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Anyway, back on topic! I have a set of HP Panini stickers that are in the same vein as these promo's, indeed the art seems very similar.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyway, back on topic! I have a set of HP Panini stickers that are in the same vein as these promo's, indeed the art seems very similar.

And who owns Panini?

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
quote:

And who owns Panini?

I wasn't aware they were owned by another company

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

this place has become a waste and all decent collectors have left.

As you have made this post you are obviously still here and i allways thought you were a decent collector. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are taking yourself far to seriously - I shouldn't have had to put a Smile on the end of my comment Smile.

Big Grin Actually it was the exclamation point at the end of your post that made me think I had offended you and I was trying to explain why I didn't mean it. Unfortunately this only produced an unprovoked attack from another quarter.

So this forum is about card collecting and not personalities. I shall limit my comments to that and that's all I have to say about it.

These Potter test cards are a real find and I'm sure that promoking did as much due diligence as possible before pulling the trigger. Congratulations. Thumb Up

Posts: 10381 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Report This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get over yourself nobody cares you are one of the reasons this place has become a waste and all decent collectors have left. I don't care who disagrees I am entitled to a voice and my opinion come to a show and we can discuss you are not that far away.

Really? You are still here, so I guess that means you are not a decent collector either.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Report This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

And who owns Panini?

Apologies Hammer, I am clearly confusing Panini with another sticker company which is why I don't collect stickers these days.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actually, I value Raven's opinion. Clearly, she knows a lot about cards - probably more than I do. She collected sports cards and then transitioned into non-sports because she likes autographs. She has questioned one or two of my posts but never in an insulting or even mildly condescending way. She knows the difference between voicing an opinion and mouthing off. I consider her a decent collector.

I trade emails with David R during the week and sometimes with the Promoking as well. I think they are decent people. I recall reading that Wolfie saved cards to sell to make money for a local hospice. He was a positive force in the recent Mystery Box situation as well. Btlfannz went out of his way to restart and maintain the Mystery Box project to the benefit of other Cardtalk members. I just starting trading emails with BillZee. These are all decent people and I can only there are more because they seem to like being here, given that decent collectors tend to spend time with other decent people

I disagree that this forum is a waste. I try to check the site every day to see what's being talked about. I learn a lot. It's interesting to see what other collectors are looking for and what they find. Sometimes, they are cards I would like to get too. I like this place.

Jess

quote:

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Report This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pot to kettle...

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And who owns Panini?

Apologies Hammer, I am clearly confusing Panini with another sticker company which is why I don't collect stickers these days.

regards

John

John

Merlin (who were based in UK) became Topps UK a few years ago

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And who owns Panini?

regards

John

Many thanks Hammer for putting me straight.

regards

John

John

Merlin (who were based in UK) became Topps UK a few years ago

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Please people.....let's refrain from all the name-calling here. This thread seems to have run it's course so I'm going to close the topic.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post