Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Harry Potter expert needed
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Harry Potter expert needed
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
I have been offered an 8 card Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone prototype/promo set made by TOPPS in 1999. I was told this set is rare because it was made to show the licensor(WB) what the cards would look like and purportedly, TOPPS did not acquire the license for them so the set was never produced. The asking price is not cheap and before I dish out some bucks, does anyone here know about these cards? Is this guy pulling my leg(wolfie, that would be paw in American English)? How rare are these etc...

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Report This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
This sounds like something you might find in the Topps vault. Is there a contact at Topps who would know anything about these?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Report This Post
Picture of paul hart
posted Hide Post
If anyone has mike jaspersen’s contact detsils he naybe able to help? Think he on the west coast now with company doing box breaks-he was the expert with them around that time?

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Report This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
If these are legitimate that would be pretty neat. Wizards of the Coast had the CCG before Artbox got the rights to do the movie cards. Let us all know what you find out.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Has the person offering these to you sent scans ? If so, perhaps you can post them here ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Could also try contacting Gary Gerani, who worked on earlier Topps sets as well as 90's stuff. He would know what happened with various projects that didn't end up as a product and that could be informative even if he didn't work on that particular one.

quote:
Originally posted by paul hart:
If anyone has mike jaspersen’s contact detsils he naybe able to help? Think he on the west coast now with company doing box breaks-he was the expert with them around that time?

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Promoking,

Wow, a possible in-house prototype set - something that usually never leaves the building. I hope you get more info one way or the other.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
I have been offered an 8 card Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone prototype/promo set made by TOPPS in 1999. I was told this set is rare because it was made to show the licensor(WB) what the cards would look like and purportedly, TOPPS did not acquire the license for them so the set was never produced. The asking price is not cheap and before I dish out some bucks, does anyone here know about these cards? Is this guy pulling my leg(wolfie, that would be paw in American English)? How rare are these etc...

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your input and recommendations. I appreciate that and will definitely follow up on them . I will try to post pictures but I'm not the best at that kind of stuff but I'll keep you up to date on what I've decided to do on the cards and how legit they appear to be if I buy them.

Picture of Blue Horseshoe
posted Hide Post
I saw this set on ebay about a month ago, and would have bought them, but at $250 for the set, and no real information bar what the sellers states it was too much of a risk.

The set must have sold for less as the seller took an offer.

The item number is 142509757104 if anyone need to take a look.

Posts: 280 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: July 26, 2005Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Very interesting.

You can lift the pictures from the auction, as it ended and the items sold. I don't know how to do that.

Nice looking cards !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Here is the link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-...rksid=p2047675.l2557

You posted an excellent link David

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Horseshoe:
The set must have sold for less as the seller took an offer.

$180 was the accepted offer.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Yes, that was it and someone beat me to it!! So what is known about this set?? Anyone?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And the backs

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
David
I'm glad you were able to get a set from him. I too got his last set(so he said). I also bought a sealed pack of the prototypes which I'm not opening but supposedly is one of a kind.

By the way, since no one answered my original question, it seems that no one had ever heard of these Topps promos before now. WOW!! almost 19 years later. What a great hobby....

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Well having seen the promos, glad artbox won

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Artbox did a fantastic job with Harry Potter. Presspass and Breygent did excellent jobs on their titles. It just proves that producing quality cards alone won't keep you in business. Sometimes I blame card collectors for not getting behind these companies more, but it's not that simple and many factors contribute to good manufacturers closing up shop.

Say what you will about Topps, they know how to survive.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
How do you know these are authentic?

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Report This Post