Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    what are the 3 most fav cards in your collection
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what are the 3 most fav cards in your collection
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HPCollector2011:
Those are beautiful. I love the third one, the sketch.

I think the middle card is a sketch too!Both are fantastic works of art.I wonder if either artist has tried their hand at full scale pieces on canvas?IMO they would be a lot better than some of these awful modern things that seem to win big prizes.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Ok, you guys can have the two sketches and I'll take the autograph card from DAREDEVIL! That's one of the only three I don't have from that set. Can you guess what the other two are?

By the way, all three are great cards!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
quote:
Originally posted by HPCollector2011:
Those are beautiful. I love the third one, the sketch.

I think the middle card is a sketch too!Both are fantastic works of art.I wonder if either artist has tried their hand at full scale pieces on canvas?IMO they would be a lot better than some of these awful modern things that seem to win big prizes.

Yep...the middle is a sketch too (my favorite David sketch always alternates between the Kahlan and the Cara he did for me)...if you want to see all my sketch cards by David and Andy you can go to my site (I'm up to 175 sketches by Andy Fry):

Sketch cards

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
Ok, you guys can have the two sketches and I'll take the autograph card from DAREDEVIL! That's one of the only three I don't have from that set. Can you guess what the other two are?

By the way, all three are great cards!

I was lucky enough to run into someone who was moving their Daredevil auto set so I was able to pick up all 6 autos at once. Oddly enough Affleck isn't the rarest pack inserted auto...that distinction goes to Joe Pantoliano.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardinalfan13
posted Hide Post

Posts: 614 | Location: Missouri | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Komodo:
I don't have 3 cards, but I have 2... I managed to capture the motion and convert to GIF's.

The first one is a Skymotion card of USS Voyager from Voyager Season 1 Series 1:

The second one, already mentioned earlier, from the same set, the holographic doctor card:

I guess I could toss in a 3rd, a recent acquisition which took me 0ver 10 years to obtain, promo SWP #0 from Star Wars Widevision. I'm happy to get it at last Smile :

Not too much new stuff to read recently so I was looking at some older posts and saw this cool Star Trek Voyager SkyMotion card Thumb Up

But I was also wondering why did the search for the Star Wars Widevision promo take so long? Confused Was it an exclusive promo to a certain magazine or something? Nine years later after posting, I wanted to say that I'm glad that you were able to find it after a 10+ year journey Smile

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was wondering the same thing. It's true the SWP0 was only available as an insert with the Star Wars Galaxy 2 tin set (the deluxe edition of the set which also included an exclusive unnumbered Boba Fett promo for Star Wars Galaxy 3). However, the value of the tin set dropped way down by around 2000 - well after dealers sold to all the collectors that had to have it (originally sold for about $80 as I recall but could be found later for $40-50). Some dealers opened the tins and had an easier time selling the set, the special-version chase cards, and the exclusive promos separately. In fact I once picked up an extra Boba Fett promo in one dealer's "cheap promo" binder. For me the SWP2 was the last one to be found but the rarest one might be the special binder insert (#00).

I guess it's just a matter of the actively hunting collector chancing upon a few great deals while also having a want list with some cards that weren't that hard to find for other people.

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
quote:
Originally posted by Komodo:

I guess I could toss in a 3rd, a recent acquisition which took me 0ver 10 years to obtain, promo SWP #0 from Star Wars Widevision. I'm happy to get it at last Smile :

Not too much new stuff to read recently so I was looking at some older posts and saw this cool Star Trek Voyager SkyMotion card Thumb Up

But I was also wondering why did the search for the Star Wars Widevision promo take so long? Confused Was it an exclusive promo to a certain magazine or something? Nine years later after posting, I wanted to say that I'm glad that you were able to find it after a 10+ year journey Smile

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Booker:
I tend to favor my pack pulled cards a lot more than the cards i buy from ebay or other dealers. The memory just seems to last much longer, and there's that nice feeling of knowing that you are the first to own that particular card. Anyways, here's my top 3:

1) George Clooney auto (Batman & Robin)
2) Hugh Jackman auto (X-Men movie)
3) Patrick Stewart auto (X-Men movie)

*Angeline Jolie's red silk jacket would also be up there, but too bad i sold it. It was the first costume card i ever pulled.....sigh, I still regret letting that one go*

I can't believe it's been almost 10 years since I last posted in this thread. 2 of 3 favorites are still in my collection. Sadly, the pack pulled Professor X was sold, and even though I eventually bought a replacement, it's not the same. So here's my new revised top 3:

1) George Clooney auto (Batman & Robin)
2) Hugh Jackman auto (X-Men movie)
3) Ben Affleck full signature auto (Daredevil)

Posts: 283 | Location: San Jose, USA | Registered: September 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sweet cards Booker! That Jackman is just a great card with a great design -- undervalued in my opinion due to the legacy he left with that character.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Never cared for the Clooney card. It was a lousy movie, but it's his lousy signature that really ruins it. Daredevil was a lousy movie too, but at least Affleck's autograph looks quite nice on his card. I don't own any of them, but I would take the Jackman above the others. I'm not talking about card value, just that he has a good signature, it's X-Men and it's his iconic character.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Never cared for the Clooney card. It was a lousy movie, but it's his lousy signature that really ruins it. Daredevil was a lousy movie too, but at least Affleck's autograph looks quite nice on his card. I don't own any of them, but I would take the Jackman above the others. I'm not talking about card value, just that he has a good signature, it's X-Men and it's his iconic character.

I am a HUGE Hugh Jackman fan and I have all of his autograph cards including the Van Helsing and Leaf Pop Century sketch auto, however, it's not even close when compared to the Clooney Batman. I posted a box break here in 2007 where the box was just horrendous: tons of duplicate base, no character profile inserts, no poster inserts, damaged celluloid card, and I kept thinking to myself...just WHAT IF there was a Batman auto in here. And literally in the last pack there was, a 1:360 pack auto, and I was sooooo happy, I ran around the house up and down the stairs cheering. My little sister cheered with me even though she didn't understand why this card is such a big deal. I've pulled other big hits, and purchased some great cards, but nothing beats this moment in my collecting history.

As for the Daredevil, most of Ben Affleck's autos are just his initials "BA" and I had seen the rare full signature version before but always worried about it being fake. Some years ago, Jeff Zapata, who was the art director at Topps at the time, put out his stash of Afflecks on eBay. All of the cards had rounded corners or chipping, which is probably why they didn't pass QC for pack insertion, but they are 100% genuine. And being a fan of The Man Without Fear, I was very grateful to have picked this up without any doubt or fears.

Posts: 283 | Location: San Jose, USA | Registered: September 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I am a HUGE Hugh Jackman fan and I have all of his autograph cards including the Van Helsing and Leaf Pop Century sketch auto, however, it's not even close when compared to the Clooney Batman. I posted a box break here in 2007 where the box was just horrendous: tons of duplicate base, no character profile inserts, no poster inserts, damaged celluloid card, and I kept thinking to myself...just WHAT IF there was a Batman auto in here. And literally in the last pack there was, a 1:360 pack auto, and I was sooooo happy, I ran around the house up and down the stairs cheering. My little sister cheered with me even though she didn't understand why this card is such a big deal. I've pulled other big hits, and purchased some great cards, but nothing beats this moment in my collecting history.

Yes I understand all that, the card is very rare and is the most expensive of the 3 in question. If I had ever pulled the Clooney I would have jumped up and down too, and then I would have sold it in a heartbeat. The Jackman would still be in my binder.

Price matters only if you are selling, otherwise your card collection is only what you want to keep. When people list their favorite cards they inevitably post the most expensive cards they own. Is that their favorite cards? For some it is, but others might value a $50 card over a $300 card. They can even appreciate more common cards. We all tend to revert to how much money it will sell for as being the big factor, but that's only important if and when you are actually selling.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Price matters only if you are selling, otherwise your card collection is only what you want to keep. When people list their favorite cards they inevitably post the most expensive cards they own. Is that their favorite cards? For some it is, but others might value a $50 card over a $300 card. They can even appreciate more common cards. We all tend to revert to how much money it will sell for as being the big factor, but that's only important if and when you are actually selling.

To me, a card would only be classified as a favorite if it's not for sale. If it's a high value card, it shows that the collector has even more restraint not to be tempted by a large sale. I understand that sometimes people are forced to sell for various reasons, but if it is truly his/her favorite card, it would be the very last card that they sell. Everything else would be sold before that very card.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Interesting background info on the Star Wars SWP0 promo. And great to see the Trek motion cards.

Great cards you have there Booker.
- Can't agree more with regards Hugh Jackman's auto being an important non-sport card. Amazing it doesn't sell for more than in does. No doubt it helps that he signed plenty of those cards back when he was at the very start of his film career.
- Not a fan of Affleck at all and I doubt many liked Daredevil (I didn't!) but you can't argue that is not a huge card. And he does have a very nice signature IMO... at least on the one you have. Wink I'd take a bit of chipping and provenance over his initials.
- The less said about Batman & Robin the better. But nice to see rare cards of mega stars. Better they sign than not at all. It sure was a campfest but I'd take an Arnie Mr. Freeze auto any day of the week.

On some other forums I visit, people moan when threads get resurrected but I like it. Certain topics are always relevant and it is interesting to look back and see how people's tastes have changed/what was popular and when.

When I made by post 9 years ago my favourite three were:
1. #A1 - Gillian Anderson / Dana Scully (X-Files Connections 2005)
2. #A56 - Famke Janssen / Xenia Onatopp (The Complete Bond 2007)
3. #A29 - Roger Moore / James Bond (The Quotable Bond 2004)

I found it VERY difficult to pick my three today - A LOT of cool cards have been made over those years. Still a HUGE Gillian fan but she's been pipped to the post. Honourable mentions go out to Sigourney Weaver and James Gandolfini auto cards but I've had to be ruthless. I also really like some cards I have had signed by celebs when I have met them, many moreso than any pack-inserted equivalents.

Anyway, my top 3 today:
1. Pierce Brosnan / James Bond (James Bond: Mission Logs 2011)
2. Roger Moore / James Bond (James Bond Archives 2014)
3. James Earl Jones /Darth Vader (Star Wars Masterwork 2015)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
All fantastic cards guys.

I would like to go on record as being the only person I know who really liked the DAREDEVIL movie.

Hated ELECTRA though.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would like to go on record as being the only person I know who really liked the DAREDEVIL movie.

Hated ELECTRA though.

I liked it too, so you're not the only one Wink

In fact, after seeing it in the theatre, I stopped at the card shop that was in my neighbourhood at the time and grabbed a box of Daredevil cards... and pulled the Affleck auto.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I also searched backwards in this thread to see if my picks had changed and low and behold I never posted in this one, so I can't have a change of heart. It was kind of sad to realize just how many member names I have not seen in a very long time.

Since I made no entry I'll do it now. Confining to only three cards is a terrible limitation because we have favorites for many different reasons, in many different categories. In that spirit, I will pick the three cards that are the most memorable to me when I got them, without any regard for their price.

1. Charisma Carpenter, Buffy A5 - I consider this to be the one that started it all for me. I was not collecting non-sport autographs. The few I had accumulated were from comic based products, creators, artists, writers, etc. Buffy Season 2 had just come out and I never even purchased Season 1. The guy at my little card store had opened a whole box and pulled the Carpenter. He asked me if I wanted it. He didn't know how much to charge and I didn't know how much it was worth. He said $25? I actually hesitated, I didn't like the signature. She signed using only her first name. To this day I hate when they do that. He said he'd do $20 and I took it. I don't know where that guy is now and he's probably forgotten it, but that was the beginning of my certified entertainment autograph card collection. It is also the best deal I ever got on a card.

2. Kristen Dunst, Small Soldiers - My white whale for almost two years. It was made a good five years before I wanted it. It wasn't horribly expensive, but it was high enough for me. I wanted a decent deal and followed auctions whenever it popped up. I have lost count of how many times I was the highest bidder, only to be beat out in the last few seconds. Everything I know about sniping I learned from people doing it to me on this card. Finally I must have worn down the demand and I won an auction on the right side of $100. It was such a relief to not have to lose again.

3. Emilia Clarke, GoT FB - I wanted to pick a pack pulled card for the last slot. That is why we bust packs after all, to get the thrill of a big hit. This is not the best autograph card I have ever pulled in terms of price. I can think of a few that were better, a Harry Potter Watson and a Star Trek Nimoy spring to mind, but it is the one I personally wanted more than the others. It is from the title I have chosen to follow and it would leave a big gap not to have at least one of her only two autograph cards to date.

So those are my picks and the reason why they are milestones of a sort to me. I think we all have them for various reasons that mean something only to us. Listing only three favorites is just not enough to do justice to the many stories that we all have about certain cards we really enjoy seeing every time we look at them. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
quote:

Hated ELECTRA though.

I liked it too, so you're not the only one Wink

In fact, after seeing it in the theatre, I stopped at the card shop that was in my neighbourhood at the time and grabbed a box of Daredevil cards... and pulled the Affleck auto.

It's been over a decade since I saw the theatrical cut of Daredevil so I don't remember it exactly, but I have the director's cut on DVD and think it's pretty fun. Think it gets more flack than it deserves. I began collecting cards late 2006 so Daredevil had largely passed me by but I picked up a retail box and got a nice costume card, and really quite like the card designs in that set. I don't think I've seen Elektra all the way through...

My three cards (from page 1, which surprised me to see the image links are still working since I've long forgotten my login to that since abandoned photobucket account) have also changed. I've moved on a bit from Angel, and I've had numerous great pack pulls from LOST which trump that Maggie Grace card which I'd bought on the after market. While the Summer Glau autograph from Serenity would probably still be on my list, I have since sold it after I'd met her in person in 2014 and got a nice 8x10. I would say my three now are:

1) Hugh Jackman as Wolverine - X-Men
As you've all discussed, a great card and an undervalued one. Currently stands as the most expensive card I've ever bought, but it was only £55 for what is an iconic character and a great actor. X-Men is probably the main focus of my collecting these days as well. Sidenote: I have Ian McKellen's autograph from The Prisoner and I cannot believe that even if it isn't his most iconic role, that the card doesn't sell for more than £10-£20 ish. Ridiculous! Definitely the most undervalued autograph in my collection.

2) Evangeline Lilly as Kate - LOST S1
I pulled the redemption from my seventh box of LOST S1, which I'd bought for only £27 ish IIRC. The pieceworks it came with was a duplicate, which I managed to recoup about £15 on the price of the box. A great card to get from the set, and it didn't set me back much, so a great collecting experience. Also inadvertent "Real Steel" autograph collection going on here.

3) Nathan Fillion as Mal - Firefly
My first sealed box purchase was one from Firefly, and I got the autograph I'd wanted most. Great start to collecting and a great motivator for pursuing the hobby. While I collected Serenity cards instead of Firefly from then on, I've always kept this one. He's a cool actor, and love his various roles.

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:

You mention this a lot Raven but most collector's favourite cards are predictably, and logically, the main actors and the like. With greater demand comes extra value and expense, but I don't think people's favourites are because they are expensive. I do think something being rare or scarce can add some extra excitement from a collectablity standpoint (and that confuses the matter because it relates to the value) but selling price has absolutely no bearing whatsoever, for me anyway.

quote:
To me, a card would only be classified as a favorite if it's not for sale. If it's a high value card, it shows that the collector has even more restraint not to be tempted by a large sale. I understand that sometimes people are forced to sell for various reasons, but if it is truly his/her favorite card, it would be the very last card that they sell. Everything else would be sold before that very card.

Summed up nicely. Thinking about it, no matter what something goes for on eBay, a card that is not for sale essentially has no price. Once you part with your money to get it, the value in keeping it is what it means to you.

quote:
So those are my picks and the reason why they are milestones of a sort to me. I think we all have them for various reasons that mean something only to us. Listing only three favorites is just not enough to do justice to the many stories that we all have about certain cards we really enjoy seeing every time we look at them.

I really found it difficult to remove the sentimentality/milestons from my choices. My listed 3 were all bought outright, and for pure fun will never top the Gillian Anderson card I pulled from the my one and only box of X-Files Connections.
After lurking on here I finally joined in 2005, just when this set was coming out (although Batman Begins was also a very hot topic!). I read with great envy people's stories of pulling Gillian autos out of X-Files Season 6&7 and Season 9 years before, never thinking it would happen to me with the new set. I could never have afforded her auto outright and bought my box being a big fan of the show, having recently run through all 9 seasons on DVD for the first time.

I went slowly through my box getting all the stated inserts but I had got down to the last pack and I still hadn't pulled an autograph. I was getting worried and I shuffled through the contents of the last pack and not seeing the white auto design, thought I had a dud box, until I realised the very last card was the redemption for the Gillian auto! I couldn't believe it. It was a great feeling.
Coincidentally I watched an episode of the X-Files today and in a strong show, it is no small thing to say she was the best talent on it. Predominantly male collectors always seem to chase cards of attractive women but I place great stock in 'acting-chops' whether male or female, and Gillian is a phenomenal actress. It was SO hard cutting her from my top three.

But for the sake of explanation:
Pierce Brosnan was the Bond I grew up with, like Sean Connery was my Dad's, I can't really explain it more than that. It's an iconic hero of childhood sort of thing. GoldenEye is my favourite Bond film, RA used a killer image (probably his most iconic in the role) and I lucked out finding a great example of his varying signature, and I'm fussy with that sort of thing.
In this card RA gave me my grail, and this full-bleed looked so good I saw no need to have his 40th Anniversary style card - so this card also helped me give up collecting that series and my somewhat obsessive completest mentality which I am grateful for.

Roger Moore has been a celeb I have come to admire a lot over the last few years. I used to HATE his Bond films, him playing himself more than Bond, almost to the point of parody.
Whilst it's hard to know a celeb, a stranger, from everything he does publicly, he consistently and increasingly proves himself to be a thoroughly decent bloke. He is pushing 90 and remains a constant ambassador for the Bond films of a magnitude to rival Nimoy & Trek, his gratitude for his fame and what the role has given him is obvious, his tireless charity work and giving back to fans and people less fortunate is commendable: you can't knock him. Watching his films and reading about him, he seems fun as well and it really turns me away from resentful grudge-filled misers like Connery that fans inexplicably hold in much higher regard. RA has driven his 'value' down with lots of availability but he carried the series for so long, he is a huge part of it's legacy.
My partner was a big Bond/Moore fan when I met her and I must say her enjoyment of his lighter take definitely rubbed off, and now I'll take one of his films over Craig's any day of the week.

And finally, Darth Vader. The ultimate screen villain IMO and another childhood fascination. The inimitable voice of James Earl Jones sells the character so completely.

I don't think anything else could top these, and that is a nice feeling to have when you're a collector. Feeling somewhat satisfied for a change with less need to chase everything.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:

You mention this a lot Raven but most collector's favourite cards are predictably, and logically, the main actors and the like. With greater demand comes extra value and expense, but I don't think people's favourites are because they are expensive. I do think something being rare or scarce can add some extra excitement from a collectablity standpoint (and that confuses the matter because it relates to the value) but selling price has absolutely no bearing whatsoever, for me anyway.

Well at least it would seem I am consistent, although I don't know that I mention it so often. Big Grin

While you may be above it all X, people like to own nice cards that other people, who are not necessarily card collectors, can also appreciate. The best way to make them appreciate it is by telling them how much they are worth. So it is human nature to want cards that are expensive and they become your favorites soon enough. I'm not saying everyone, every time, just that's it a natural tendency to want a first rate collection rather than a collection of commons, even if you do like them.

While price is only really important at the point that you want to cash something in, it's also nice to be able to show off. And I'm not above that myself. Wink