Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

E Bay UK GSP prices
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
Recently there have been some cards that I have been interested in from UK sellers
Upon trying to purchase I found that the seller even though it was not notified the seller used the E Bay GSP system
The price for this service was phenomenal mostly between $40 $60 US and with E Bays Import Duty added came to a large ammount
I have tried to contact E Bay but no luck
One sale had the Import Duty at 125% above the shipping charge of $64 although this was a fairly expensive item
As New Zealand dose not charge Import Duty and E Bay make me pay how do they get the right to charge a tax that is not charged by a government and is there a way that I can get it back
Dose anyone know about the E Bay UK system it is a lot more expensive to use than the USA system
I know that E Bay use the UK company Pitney Bowes for their USA or are they world wide now
Any info would be appreciated including on how to be able to get to someone on E Bay

Posts: 761 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know the answer but I have found the same issue when trying to purchase cards from the USA. The card is priced at $5 but with Duty, Postage and anything else that the eBay system adds on, the final price can be as much as $50. It's not the seller but the system that racks up the price. I just pass the cards by and hope they come up again. They often do.

Posts: 26 | Location: Wales UK | Registered: January 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Sorry can't help as i just ignore anything that uses the GSP.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I think I've only ever bought one card that was sent via the GSP. Shipping was literally a third of the total price (£50 of £150!!). An absoulte joke I think anyone would agree.
I did ask the US seller* if they would ship it via a cheaper method but it was a flat "no".

Had the card not been so hard to get, and not a must have for me, I can't think of much else I would submit to the GSP for. Consequently, I pretty much scroll past anything with the GSP as every purchase is prohibitively too expensive overall and/or postage is too expensive in comparison to the card itself. Other examples with more reasonable postage usually pop up down the line.

It is such a shame as I used to buy LOADS from overseas but it just doesn't make financial sense anymore.

*Despite scrolling past lots of GSP listings, if I see stupidly high overseas shipping on a card I REALLY want, I usually do reach out to the seller to see if they are prepared to ship via a different/cheaper method. I have been pleasantly surprised that they will, on more than one occasion. I've had many happily oblige and advise they did not know shipping was set so high. I'm convinced some of this is down to too many different, and some default, shipping options. So always worth asking the seller the question...

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly when GSP was first introduced in the UK you had to actively opt out of the con , sorry programme Big Grin , so a lot of sellers like this one may not even be aware they are using it .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly you had to opt in, but as a private seller you can then choose whether to use GSP on every single listing, or also offer other methods. Then it can be a choice of the buyer as to which they use, or if you offer alternatives to certain countries.

I admit to using GSP when selling, but usually on bulky items such as 1/6th scale figures, statues etc, as ebay allow heavier and larger dimensions than Royal Mail's limits and it's actually cheaper than using Parcelforce or DHL for items weighing over 2Kg. But for smaller things like cards I wouldn't bother with GSP. As long as you use a trackable method of mail then you're covered. But all postage worldwide has continued to jump up in expense to almost eye-watering levels. Roll Eyes

Posts: 423 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post