Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    DISLIKES ABOUT COLLECTING
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DISLIKES ABOUT COLLECTING
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
10 DISLIKES AS A COLLECTOR

1) Scraping and Chipping on base cards,especially on black borders
2) Not receiving correct ratio (and it happens a lot)
3) Cards that are too thick to fit in your collector storage binder 9 pocket sleeves
(Charlie and the chocolate factory grass,what was that about ? )
4) Collector album sleeves where the top three pockets are cut incorrectly so the top three cards stick out (Grrrr)
5) Widevision cards (awkward and just wrong)
6) More border than photo on base cards ( I collect images not clever distracting designs)
7) Those quick created in 20 seconds Booby prize sketch cards (monkeys and skulls come to mind)
8) complaints to a company they didn t get that certain actor to sign when it's out of their hands that that someone doesn t want to participate)
9) A.Ebay,the idiotic prices being asked for Katie Cook sketch cards (even the lesser pencil sketches)
9) B, Ebay,when I need a card for a collection and have to pay a fortune but yet I have a similar card to sell that goe's for 4 times less.
10) Shirtless males (this is personal going back to my Buffy days,season 7 episode 10 card 36 spike with his shirt off,season 7 episode 11 card 39 spike with his shirt off)

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
This is a very negative topic, but since we all like to complain Big Grin, here are my 10 dislikes that don't repeat yours, in no special order . . .

1. Certified signature cards where the "autograph" is an initial, a symbol, a squiggle, or some other unreadable chicken scratch.

2. Limited "Cut" signatures that are just glued together pieces of a larger letter, photo, check or scrap paper to make up one ugly semi-card.

3. Card products that are delayed or cancelled.

4. Autograph signers that are advertised, but never show up in the finished product.

5. Redemption cards, no more needs to be said.

6. New card releases that I can't find anywhere but eBay.

7. Premium card boxes that yield nothing to justify the price.

8. Numbered cards that are actual the same card, just with some slight change and different ranges, to make them seem more or less limited.

9. The demise of the local card shows and the shortage of brick and mortar hobby stores.

10. Worrying about counterfeit cards and forged autographs in my collection.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Bad costumer service; I will not mention they name but they are the biggest right now in the hobby and sport.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I agree wholeheartedly about redemption cards, hate 'em!

I also dislike cards that are virtually impossible to get, mainly found it TOPS boxes, such as the triple autograph card from CRYSTAL SKULL.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dealers???

Posts: 25 | Location: liverpool.uk. | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Very intrested to hear why you dislike dealers.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I second Wolfie's post about why dealers are a dislike? I am pro enabler.

I agree with Cardaddict about nearly impossible to get cards, Walt Disney cut signature in particular, my opinion might be different had I opened it. Smile

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
I like the dealers in the card community. 99% are friendly and fair, and most will let you put a card or something on 'layaway'.

My dislikes really aren't anything that's in anyone's control, like the fact I wish I had more money to collect more! And I need more storage space.

I do dislike when a license has an oversaturation, as has happened many times with many different companies. We all know certain companies are FAR superior to others, so I think I'll just choose to be thankful for the ones that respond to customer service issues.

I'm not crazy about incentive cards either, but I see them as a necessary evil, as their primary function is a rebate for the dealer on multi-case purchases. Probably keeps the hobby going more than any of us small-time collectors realize.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
I started collecting in 2002, but really didn't understand the hobby. By the time, I understood the system, I missed out on so many great sets.
Jane mentioned storage space, I think we can all concur with that one.
I hate sets limited to just one country. Long story to tell if anyone wants to listen.
Tooooooo many sketch cards. I have to miss out a series of cards due to saturation.
Incentive cards - I don't mind sketch cards being incentive cards; you can take them or leave them, but auto cards are just too frustrating.
I too hate cards limited to less than 100, it's totally against collecting ethics, and prevents master sets which must be the aim of every collector!!
Ebay.

Someone must do a thread on Likes about collecting as that will conteract this thread

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
STICKER AUTO CARDS!!!!!

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:
STICKER AUTO CARDS!!!!!

Forgot this one too ;-)

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archifou:
quote:
STICKER AUTO CARDS!!!!!

Forgot this one too ;-)

That's one of my big dislikes as well.

Also, when good card companies go out of business and the ones who put out sub-par set after sub-par set somehow stay afloat.

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ra$
posted Hide Post
My dislikes are

1.Sticker Auto
2.Counterfeit and forged Autographs coming to the hobby ruinung it for collecters
3.Redemption cards
4.bad breakdown of cases or boxes from some companys (you know who they are)
5.Trading Card Company thats either delays or cancel a set
6.bad costumer service
7.Numbered cards that are actual the same card, just with some slight change and different ranges, to make them seem more or less limited.
8.very RARE cards that go for silly amount of cash

Raz

Posts: 97 | Location: London, UK | Registered: September 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will go with the above mentioned numbered cards and the worst sticker autographs. Mike

Posts: 18 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't think I could come up with 10 things that really bother me, but there are a few. . .

Counterfeits (obviously).
Industry resistance to dealing with existing and preventing new counterfeits.
Poorly cut 'cut' signatures.
Poor customer service

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Cost of boxes, how many of us can afford $60-70 boxes? Make the hobby fun again, we don't need big hits in every box, but give us value and I think we all will start buying more. Time to rethink the current model, for all manufacturers.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
9) A.Ebay,the idiotic prices being asked for Katie Cook sketch cards (even the lesser pencil sketches)

Why is this a problem? Katie paid her dues and did lots of work developing her style. People appreciate that and value the work she does. My one regret is that Katie does not see all the money that some cards bring, but her work with sketch cards has lead to bigger and better things for her.

And, she still does $5 quick sketches at conventions even though she does not have to.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Came up with a couple more. . .

Unlicensed facsimile autograph cards.
Studios that don't try to shut sellers of these down.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:

Why is this a problem? Katie paid her dues and did lots of work developing her style. People appreciate that and value the work she does. My one regret is that Katie does not see all the money that some cards bring, but her work with sketch cards has lead to bigger and better things for her.

And, she still does $5 quick sketches at conventions even though she does not have to.

Ed

Hi Ed,this was not a jibe at Katie,it's sour grapes by me as a Katie Cook collector,but it's true that collectors of her work like me have helped made the prices sore,i was talking to another KC collector recently and he knew who i was from dealers,so her popularity has made the prices sore and whoever gets one now can her the ka-ching.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
I hate the Hunt...

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post