Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    2001: ASO Set Possible?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2001: ASO Set Possible?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted
Just wanted to toss this out there for discussion. Is there any chance of a 2001: A Space Odyssey set ever being produced?

With Unstoppable Cards Space:1999 set soon to be released, wouldn't a 2001: ASO make an awesome complementary set?

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
My short answer would be, NO, no demand.

My longer answer would be along the lines of, I think 2001 was probably the most incomprehensible film to ever be called a work of genius by learned individuals who couldn't admit that it made absolutely no sense since it was done by Stanley Kubrick. It is the film equivalent to "The Emperor's New Clothes". If you didn't see the genius in it, you were not smart enough to understand it. Wink

I will be happy to admit I didn't understand it. The computer Hal was the only good idea. Don't even get me started with the giant space baby.

I really hated that movie, as you can probably tell. Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
I think the visual imagery would make a really nice set AND give a chance of explaining the film (the card back text).

It's nice to dream. Smile

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted Hide Post
I love the movie but would also say there would be little to zero demand for a card set.

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
2001 is my all time favorite movie. If you read the novelization by Arthur C. Clarke it will clear up 99% of the mystery. Have to leave that 1% unexplained in for reasons I can't understand.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DewMan:
I love the movie but would also say there would be little to zero demand for a card set.

As I would have said about "The Man Who Fell to Earth", which sold out almost immediately. With, of course, the caveat that David Bowie played in that movie and he even signed some cards. A 2001 doesn't have that kind of star powered luxury.
Some prop cards, or costume cards could do the trick, though. Sketches might be quite diverse too.
... hmmm... now I'm starting to wish that a card set would exist.

The Kubrick estate doesn't seem too easy with any licensed product. Recently some be-auti-ful action figures were produced. These didn't bear any title of name that pointed towards 2001, but were clearly modelled after Keir Dullea in his space suit. If even that level of quality doesn't get approved by the estate, I doubt a card set would.

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Dave Bowman: Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?

HAL: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.

Dave Bowman: We want a card set based on 2001, HAL.

HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Dave Bowman: What's the problem?

HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post