Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Firefly Case Card CL1
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firefly Case Card CL1
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
Wow I was going put a bid on a Inkworks Firefly Cl1 card it is up for auction in AustraliaThe bid started at US.99c and now with two hours still to go it has a top bid of US $103.34 I was out long ago.
So with this card going for this price how long will it be before the E Bay has more Firefly case cards coming out of the woodwork and being put up up at an inflated price on its auction lists.
The lot # 183915574081.

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Not knowing how many CL-1s there are, I guess they may try, but one auction doesn't set a price for a lot of reasons. And this auction illustrates one of those reasons.

There are 17 bids so far, but there's only been 3 bidders. The 1st one dropped out at the $50 mark. So then someone set at $100, got run up and passed, set at $150, got run up and passed again by the same 3rd bidder and then went up again. Set at $200 maybe? Wink

It looks like 2 people playing chicken, but it won't move the needle on that card unless following auctions or BINs bring similar results to wherever this one ends up.

BTW in the Beckett Non-Sport Almanac of 2017 the C1 Outlaws case insert lists for $4 - $10. So either someone is way off or there has been a surge of Firefly collectors. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It went for the $103.34
Do not know what is going on there some of the same sellers Serenity & Firefly lots also went quiet high
Might be a new buyer coming into the market but quiet an eye opener

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's an impressive sale.

If you see more Firefly cards pop up for sale post about it. . . I've always thought the Serenity/Firefly cards were valued well. There is definitely a following. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It could also be the location and the damage that outlandish international shipping is doing to card collectors. If the cards aren't already "in country", it becomes cost prohibitive to buy them and have them shipped, so some local dealers may have "the only game in town" for local collectors outside the US. It makes it almost like pre-internet days when you couldn't reach out beyond your area.

Also I think there are a couple of big card collectors in Australia. I've noticed at least one person down under who trades in really rare autograph cards fairly regularly. So it might be that prices will vary greatly because the supply and demand is confined to where collectors live, rather than the broader market for the cards.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here it comes A firefly CL1 on E bay just been put up from the Netherlands
US $ 99
Watch this space

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raven:
It looks like 2 people playing chicken, but it won't move the needle on that card unless following auctions or BINs bring similar results to wherever this one ends up.

Raven,
That is a very astute remark. I will keep your observation in mind whenever there's a card that interests me on Ebay.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Firefly case card CL1 from the Netherlands has been up for approx a week now , and no takers .
It now has been reduced to $89 now and still no one
Do you think that the original card that was sold for $103 could of been a shill bid ?
Food for thought.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily. My first assumption was that it's two stubborn bidders who locked horns over a card that may not be seen that much in Australia.

Unless you find a pattern of behavior, the bidding activity on one auction means very little. Same as the winning price from one auction doesn't make it the adjusted card value unless other sales follow up in a similar range.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Agreed but it seems funny that as you say two pig headed buyers, But there is no takers on the next one you would think that if the underbidder wanted it that much why not go for the next one.
And with E Bay I do not think that there are rarer cards now in any region everything is all out there now

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yes agreed, almost everything can be found somewhere with internet shopping. The only thing I would say is that international shipping, especially on eBay, can make some sales just not worth it between countries. Perhaps the under bidder doesn't want it from the Netherlands or doesn't like the seller history.

Who knows? That $103 sale was much higher than the Guide and the bidding did inch up in increments, so I hope the lucky winner knows. Big Grin

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This sounds like madness. I'm sure I bought one of these for a couple of bucks... I mean, two or three years ago now, but still. It ain't much of a card!

EDIT: wait, no, I got the Serenity case loader, not the Firefly one.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For auction sellers, it's a dream come true when you have an older card, and two or more people see the auction and money is not the big concern for completing their master set.

I'm not surprised to see a bidding war for one copy without one for the next offering. If a buyer like me is looking for specific older cards, they may scan for items on their lists only every few months. I've found some bargains when nobody else was looking.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Firefly CL1 from the Netherlands has just sold for $75 Us

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I just got the Firefly CL1 for £3.50 on an auction here in the UK. Smile

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thats good congrats
there is one on the bay now for $150
I paid about $20 for mine about six months ago and thats after the price went up.
It is amazing how it takes only one buyer to pay a high price for a card that is supposed to be readily available and big prices start to be asked for it. I think that mostly fans of the show are keeping them .
The same situation seems to also be with the Inkworks Twilight set .

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:

I know Firefly still has a good following but i am surprised that Twilight has, i would have expected that stuff to be dumped by now.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by piko:

I know Firefly still has a good following but i am surprised that Twilight has, i would have expected that stuff to be dumped by now.

The NECA reprint of Inkworks' Twilight base cards and their own subsequent 3 or 4 sets on the other films in the series probably were dumped, but that original Inkworks' set was tough. Whatever demand there still is wants the Inkworks Twilight cards over the reprints. And of course NECA could not reproduce the costume/relic cards that Inkworks had, but they did include a couple of autograph cards in later sets I think.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes i meant the Inkworks Twilight cards their insert cards are still quiet hard to find.
You do not see them very often took me nearly 11 years to get an Inkworks Always 9 card puzzle set that was not being asked a high price for.
Then I got a Different 6 card chase set and it was a mixture of Inkworks and Neca cards, and have not been able to get the Inkworks ones even though I have them on my watch list they seem not to be around.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Yes when i said dumped i did not mean dump the product from Inkworks as there is none to dump i was thinking more of the people who collected it at the time having now lost intrest. I would not have thought Twilight had a long term following like say Harry Potter etc but i have not looked into this so i may be mistaken.