Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    LOTR Two Towers Japan.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOTR Two Towers Japan.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Just won a LOTR Two Towers Japanese Hobby box on Ebay.Only bid on it because I was curious and the start price was low.Nobody else bid so I got it for $8 including shipping.

Anybody have any info about them?All I know is there are 8 packs in the box.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
Very nice set, 18 cards and 18 parallels which are the same cards in foil. They are reprints of the topps cards but with the Hobby Japan logo and and 5 of the cards have Japanese text on the back. The foil set is a hard one to finish and you are unlikely to get a set of basics in 1 box. You get 1 foil card per pack.

I have a LOT of these so if you need some singles let me know and I can send you some. They also look great Smile

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Thumb Up .Will let you know what I get in my box.Anyone know what these sold for originally?

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I also have these. I can't remember what they sold for when LOTR was active, but it was about the $30 range I think. Regardless, that is a bargain.

There are also FOTR and ROTK sets and some very hard to get promos to look out for.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just finished opening the packs.Got a complete base set Smile .

The foils are really nice and look especially good on the character cards.

It's a strange mix of cards with 5 base cards (numbers 8,13,14,15,and 16) from the US set with japanese writing on the reverse,the 10 card foil chase set but non foil,and 3 new cards not in the original set that look like movie posters(one of Frodo,one of Saruman,and one with Aragorn,Legolas,Gimli,and Gandalf).

Why they picked the 5 character cards they did is a mystery to me.Sam, Pippin Merry,Arwen,and Grima Wormtonguedo not to me seem the first five I would have picked.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
Grima always on top of my list - he's the one star that never signed, played a great part in the film.

I have all the japanese base sets plus a few promos but no chase cards!

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the lotr jap boxes were very expensive at the time.

...if you can count them you haven't got enough.

Posts: 167 | Location: uk | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why they picked the 5 character cards they did is a mystery to me.Sam, Pippin Merry,Arwen,and Grima Wormtonguedo not to me seem the first five I would have picked.

Perhaps the 3 sets complete all the characters. So, FOTR has Aragorn, Frodo, Gandalf, Bilbo, and... ?

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I've picked up various boxes of these and chase sets but can't figure out the complete checklist. Here is what I think:

Fellowship:
Base set (90)
Foil (9)
Prismatic foil (10)
Bonus foil box topper (2)

Two Towers
Base set (72)
Prismatic foil (10) - not actually foil, prismatic is text on back
Extra character card (5)
Other foil (3)
Promos? (9)

Return of the King
Base set (81)
Foil (10)
Prismatic foil (10)
Promos (PR1 to PR7)?

Have I missed any or double counted something?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tangent,

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Is there someone who know the odds for getting the insert either from Fellowship, Two Towers or Return of the King?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Some of the promos are up for auction now with asking prices of $ 150 EACH !!!

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Anyone know the odds for the inserts in any of the 3 releases?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post