Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Ultra-Rare Dealer Incentives on New X-Files Set !
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultra-Rare Dealer Incentives on New X-Files Set !
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I just spoke to a dealer who I know, and he said that he's getting 1 dual auto, but someone already bought it from him for $1,000.

That is about what I paid for a master set of Smallville Season 6 !

And if they are getting 2 or 4 of the pieceworks incentives that will sell for 150 each that's another 300.00 to 450.00 so it's like buying 7 cases getting 3 free Smokin'

Do they make the duel autos up in advance or wait till orders are placed? If they are made up in advance I wonder what they do with the leftovers Confused

Posts: 3874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buff_Daddy:
Not really, it does nothing for me. Like I said if David signed cards for the earlier releases, it would be a holy grail. All theyve done is taken a scully sticker and a mulder sticker and pasted them on one card. Its not as if both david and gillian held the same card. I dont feel this card has any passion. Also the david autographs are nice, but will reserve judgement depending on how limited they are. A holy grail to me is not a card that will flood the market either. Hopefully they made these in low enough numbers.

I would have to agree, but for a slightly different reason. I don't think a totally manufactured collectable with no guarantee of future scarity should be anyone's idea of a Holy Grail.

Let's say its 25 years from now. David and Gillian are in their 60's, sitting at the Si-Fi convention because of the only thing they have ever been famous for, signing stacks of X-File photos. Unlikely, yes. Impossible, no.

Not to pick on them, how about SMG? Her career hasn't been doing so good since Buffy. People talk about her autograph card as being the Holy Grail. Once she starts signing stickers, and she will eventually, they could turn up all over the place.

My point is ultra-rare is only good for now. There is no inherit value in this type of product. Its worth whatever people are willing to pay at the time. And who knows if and when they will make more because there is nothing other than paying the signers that prevents it.

I know of a lot of autograph cards I would like to have, and this would be one of them. But I wouldn't pay $1000 for it and I wouldn't complain about it being an incentive. Its a desirable card for a fan, but there's nothing Holy about it.

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spooky Mulder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Not really, it does nothing for me. Like I said if David signed cards for the earlier releases, it would be a holy grail. All theyve done is taken a scully sticker and a mulder sticker and pasted them on one card. Its not as if both david and gillian held the same card. I dont feel this card has any passion. Also the david autographs are nice, but will reserve judgement depending on how limited they are. A holy grail to me is not a card that will flood the market either. Hopefully they made these in low enough numbers.

I would have to agree, but for a slightly different reason. I don't think a totally manufactured collectable with no guarantee of future scarity should be anyone's idea of a Holy Grail.

Let's say its 25 years from now. David and Gillian are in their 60's, sitting at the Si-Fi convention because of the only thing they have ever been famous for, signing stacks of X-File photos. Unlikely, yes. Impossible, no.

Not to pick on them, how about SMG? Her career hasn't been doing so good since Buffy. People talk about her autograph card as being the Holy Grail. Once she starts signing stickers, and she will eventually, they could turn up all over the place.

My point is ultra-rare is only good for now. There is no inherit value in this type of product. Its worth whatever people are willing to pay at the time. And who knows if and when they will make more because there is nothing other than paying the signers that prevents it.

I know of a lot of autograph cards I would like to have, and this would be one of them. But I wouldn't pay $1000 for it and I wouldn't complain about it being an incentive. Its a desirable card for a fan, but there's nothing Holy about it.

It's only hypotehtical to say that in 25 years from now GA/DD may be signing a stack of autos that we can buy at a convention, and it's not even likely. This auto card exists now, and is actually attainable to a wider audience than say a signed script or other item signed by both stars where the authenticity can be guaranteed.

Can you name any other item from this series that is on the open market which can be compared in rarity and collectibility? I can't. Holy Grail may be a bad analogy, but it's accurate in this case IMHO.

Posts: 22 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: June 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have to agree with you there. I really don't find anything special about a dual auto that just has two stickers plastered on them. I mean really when you think about it, they aren't any more special than the single autos. David signed a stack of stickers, Gillian signed a stack of stickers and then they were placed on three different cards, none of which were ever touched by the stars.
A dual auto is supposed to be special because it means that BOTH stars actually signed that particular card, but with sticker autos this doesn't happen anymore.

I think this dual auto has completely overshadowed David signing for the first time, perhaps they should have left it for a future set (20th Anniversary) rather than a 10 case incentive that you have to pay $1000 for.
I mean I've spent some money on cards, but I would not pay that much money for any single card, even if it had been a dual auto signed ON the card.
I still want the single autos thoughSmile

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
a 10 case incentive that you have to pay $1000 for.

Remember the old saying,
"History repeats its self"

We will have that here with this set.

Way back in the olden days Rittenhouse Archives released Stargate SG1 season 7 back in 2005. It was the first time RA released a 6 case incentive. It was calculated that there were only 90 of these autos and when the first one hit ebay it sold for over $1,000.

Now slow forward to 2008, that card, when found on ebay only sells for between $300 and $400.

I am sure Inkworks will release over 1,000 cases for X-files the movie and create (because they are stickers) at least 100 dual auto's.

Come back here in 3 years and the price of the dual auto will be less than $500

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:

You're probably right about that, that's why its not always best to buy at the beginning of a release.
I was wondering how much the Gillian auto from Connections were selling for when that set was released? The cheapest I've seen it go for recently was just over $200 and the ones she signed for previous sets sell for more than that still.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spooky Mulder:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

It's only hypotehtical to say that in 25 years from now GA/DD may be signing a stack of autos that we can buy at a convention, and it's not even likely. This auto card exists now, and is actually attainable to a wider audience than say a signed script or other item signed by both stars where the authenticity can be guaranteed.

Can you name any other item from this series that is on the open market which can be compared in rarity and collectibility? I can't. Holy Grail may be a bad analogy, but it's accurate in this case IMHO.

With all due respect I think you are missing my argument. This is as I said a desirable card, but it is a manufactured collectible that can be done in various forms for as many sticker autographs as Inkworks has or can get. If this card is selling for $1000 now, do you really see it appreciating in value?

And if you want to talk about hypotheticals it is much more likely that these relatively YOUNG actors are going to be paid for alot of autographs in their lifetimes. Now if you are looking for a Holy Grail try something that can't be reproduced and wasn't made just to be sold to card collectors. In other words, there are no such cards, just desirable additions to your collection.

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
Main Entry: Holy Grail
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
1: grail
2often not capitalized : an object or goal that is sought after for its great significance.

The dual card definitely does fit this definition taken Webster's dictionary. The fact that Inkworks has managed to turn off a number of X-Files fans with the use of stickers doesn't mean that the dual card no longer fits the bill.

I do agree with Raven, however that the use of stickers certainly lessons the value/importance of this card as there is no telling how many stickers, if any that have been set aside for future use.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi_Collector:
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
a 10 case incentive that you have to pay $1000 for.

Remember the old saying,
"History repeats its self"

We will have that here with this set.

Way back in the olden days Rittenhouse Archives released Stargate SG1 season 7 back in 2005. It was the first time RA released a 6 case incentive. It was calculated that there were only 90 of these autos and when the first one hit ebay it sold for over $1,000.

Now slow forward to 2008, that card, when found on ebay only sells for between $300 and $400.

I am sure Inkworks will release over 1,000 cases for X-files the movie and create (because they are stickers) at least 100 dual auto's.

I don't know about most people but less then 500.00 is still WAY TO RICH for my blood Smokin' EVEN if they made 1,000 cases that wouldn't be 100 duel autos because for every dealer that only buys a couple cases that knocks down the need for the duel autos. That's why I wonder if they did x amount in advance or wait for the orders to come in..

Posts: 3874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Streich:
EVEN if they made 1,000 cases that wouldn't be 100 duel autos because for every dealer that only buys a couple cases that knocks down the need for the duel autos. That's why I wonder if they did x amount in advance or wait for the orders to come in..

Thats a good question, anyone know the answer?

If 100 were made because there was going to be 1000 cases what happens to all the ones left over if only 50 are given out to 10 case purchasers?

Or is it a case now that 100 cards would be made but the stickers would only be stuck on one when someone put in an order for 10 cases.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is one reason manufacturers prefer stickers.It gives them a lot more flexibility about when and how they use them.

Almost certainly they produce the cards but the sticker goes on only when they have a buyer.No doubt the ones left will be used for the 15 case incentive triple auto in the Update set with the leftover Chris Carter autos Big Grin .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Big Grin You may well have something there. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It may also be that Card Companies give the left over Multi-Case incentives to their MOST VALUED CUSTOMERS!

Perhaps any incentives left over could be inserted into packets of the next release of a companies product. Just a thought.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I am actually quite upset about this. As I mentioned, I have all of the X-Files cards that Inkworks and Topps previously produced, with complete runs of chase cards on each.

Now this happens. I'm sorry, but I won't go after a set if I'm going to have holes in it. This is a real disservice to the collector !

Even if we could find these chase cards, do the companies think it's fun for us to have to spend thousands of dollars on a single card ? It's not fun, it's frustrating !

Hi David
I was wondering if you have seen this card
I have been chasing this for a few years now
Regards Hosie

Posts: 48 | Location: Australia | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
Its the secondary market that gets these crazy prices. Not worth being a completest on sets with ultra rare limited edition cards.

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
More information on that card please, Hosie! What set is it from, etc.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
It's from the Intrepid set.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

Ok, but WHAT is it!?! Big Grin

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
You're asking me? Woof, like i know allready. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

Ok, but WHAT is it!?! Big Grin

I far as I know it was called a "master cel' card
its a plastic card like the contact case card
It was made by Intrepid
I have only ever seen this picture . I fellow card collector own it & sold it back in the 90s . He gave me the picture of it

Posts: 48 | Location: Australia | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post