Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Ultra-Rare Dealer Incentives on New X-Files Set !
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultra-Rare Dealer Incentives on New X-Files Set !
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
It appears that Inkworks' new X-Files set, coming in late July, will have some impossible to find chase cards.

For every 3 cases ordered, a dealer will receive 1 of 2 Pieceworks cards, numbered PW14A and 14B. One is of Mulder's coat, the other is Scully's. So, in other words, a dealer will have to order SIX cases to get them both. It appears that they are both being produced in equal numbers.

As if that wasn't enough, for every TEN cases ordered, a dealer will get an exclusive Mulder/Scully double autograph card, signed by both stars.

I have every single X-Files set Inkworks has done to date, but b/c of this I'm going to pass on this one. There's no way a collector can reasonably obtain these incentives. What do other people think ? How many dealers will actually have the duo auto for sale ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Once again a set comes out where the best card will not be in the packs.
I keep saying it but it is becoming less about collecting and more about buying every day. Shake Head

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I think case incentives should be capped at having to buy six, or preferably four cases. Any more and you're just taking the piss.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nevets
posted Hide Post
BOOOOOO !!!!

Shame on all card companies that make the best(any) card(s) not pack inserted.

If you have to sink to that level to sell your cards then please, at least pack insert half or more. Its just the polite thing to do.
It really hurts to have your balls squeezed that hard! Eek

Posts: 168 | Location: Portland | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
I can't believe what's going on here again. I don't really want to go manufacturer or dealer bashing, but the guy in the street is not really being thought about any more.

There are threads on this site which indicate that people are leaving the hobby at the rate of knots. Guys, news about new releases like this just isn't helping. Go figure!! Shake Head

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
Check out the Harry Potter releases. Artbox produces 2, 5, 10, and 25-case incentives.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am actually quite upset about this. As I mentioned, I have all of the X-Files cards that Inkworks and Topps previously produced, with complete runs of chase cards on each.

Now this happens. I'm sorry, but I won't go after a set if I'm going to have holes in it. This is a real disservice to the collector !

Even if we could find these chase cards, do the companies think it's fun for us to have to spend thousands of dollars on a single card ? It's not fun, it's frustrating !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised none of you have bemoaned the first example of stickers being used to create a ultra-rare card!!!!

Having said that if I was an X-files fan I would still collect all of the pack pulled cards and then hope I got lucky with the incentives

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Are there dealers out there who will carry such a volume of product like this ? I am not asking people for names, or to recommend anyone.

As I mentioned, you need 3 cases to get 1 Pieceworks, 6 cases to get the 2nd, and 10 cases to get the auto. I am asking this out of curiosity. Are there people out there who will buy 3, 6 or 10 cases of cards ?

And if so, it seems that these cards will be reserved for people with an "in" with the dealer. The rest of us are out of luck.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
I'm surprised none of you have bemoaned the first example of stickers being used to create a ultra-rare card!!!!

Well, there's that too. I'm suprised they didn't pick a Mulder and a Scully Pieceworks to slap some stickers on.

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cee_Jay
posted Hide Post
I think everyone who complains here, should think about sets like Star Wars 30th Ann., Indiana Jones Heritage, Indiana Jones KOTCS, Donruss, Star Trek TOS 40th Ann. 1, ... All these sets contained cards that are way harder to get, than the Mulder/Scully dual auto. I'm speaking here of cards like the Harrison Ford/ George Lucas / Spielberg autos, the Gene Roddenberry cut auto (25 produced), 1/1 cut autos, the Labeouf/Allen dual auto (only 1 exists),...
Is a 10 case card nice for collectors: hell, no. I hate multi case incentives. But only because there is a multi case card, it won't stop me buying a product I like. I'm also a completist. But hey, you can't have everything that's out there. Unfortunately.

Posts: 756 | Location: NRW, Germany | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cee_Jay:
I think everyone who complains here, should think about sets like Star Wars 30th Ann., Indiana Jones Heritage, Indiana Jones KOTCS, Donruss, Star Trek TOS 40th Ann. 1, ... All these sets contained cards that are way harder to get, than the Mulder/Scully dual auto. I'm speaking here of cards like the Harrison Ford/ George Lucas / Spielberg autos, the Gene Roddenberry cut auto (25 produced), 1/1 cut autos, the Labeouf/Allen dual auto (only 1 exists),...
Is a 10 case card nice for collectors: hell, no. I hate multi case incentives. But only because there is a multi case card, it won't stop me buying a product I like. I'm also a completist. But hey, you can't have everything that's out there. Unfortunately.

Just ask yourself why both Indy releases are selling for $37 a box. High level cards that are impossible to get that are required to complete the set are not cool. It seems the Non-sport industry has decided to go the same way as sports with the same result. Why can't people learn from previous mistakes. It's as if it doesn't apply to them. Confused

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
Topps products are currently selling for what they are, due to the lack of inconsistent packaging and the fact that people are turned off by the inclusion of certain artists in those products.

As much badmouthing as Topps has received recently at least they can say that a collector has a chance, albeit a very slim one to pull any card in their products.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Last year, I bemoaned dealer incentives to Steve Charendoff (Rittenhouse) and how the ordinary collector was being screwed. In a very round-about way, he said the collectors loved them and they are always in demand. Inkworks have jumped on an increasingly large band wagon. the amount of cases needed to complete a set has reached extremes that will make collectors leave the hobby in droves. The manufacturers need to wake up and remember the core business - us. I have always believed that incentives are a product of two things - greed and potential bad sellers.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Lol I complained about the FOA promos for Supernatural and they are one of the most expensive cards in the set but I got SLAMMED for that saying that they are a good idea..

there is NO difference between those and these, the response will be the same check ebay.. The only difference is dealers will actually have to buy something to get these...

Posts: 3874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Streich:
Lol I complained about the FOA promos for Supernatural and they are one of the most expensive cards in the set but I got SLAMMED for that saying that they are a good idea..

there is NO difference between those and these, the response will be the same check ebay.. The only difference is dealers will actually have to buy something to get these...

I think there is a slight difference between a FOA promo and a 10-case card, in terms of both the quantity produced and the price a collector would have to pay.

The two are incomparable in my mind.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Are there dealers out there who will carry such a volume of product like this ? I am not asking people for names, or to recommend anyone.

Yes, I was speaking to a dealer recently to routinely orders 100 cases of product. They are out there, although this is an extreme example.

It wouldn't be too difficult for a dealer to get to a 10 case order, I mean if they can pre-sell 5-6 sealed cases, then sell a couple of cases worth of individual boxes, they are left with 2 cases to open, etc.

One thing I would like to point out is that it's the collectors who set the prices for these cards, so if everyone truly hates these so much they will be dirt cheap.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:
As much badmouthing as Topps has received recently at least they can say that a collector has a chance, albeit a very slim one to pull any card in their products.

The Jennifer Garner Elektra auto... collectors had only the secondary market to be able to get that card as it was only given to a few dealers as an incentive.

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cee_Jay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve j:
Just ask yourself why both Indy releases are selling for $37 a box.

I think that's because of the Waterhouse / Woodside sketches and not because of the ultra rare Ford autos.

Posts: 756 | Location: NRW, Germany | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
One of the advantage of these incentives going to dealers is that they are available to collectors. Let's say there's 50 of these cards made. If they were pack inserted, most of those would be retained by the collectors who pulled them. This would mean low supply on the secondary market and high prices. So, unless you are lucky enough to pull one, it's impossible to complete.

By going to dealers, all 50 are likely to hit the secondary market. I know it seems counterintuitive, but this actually reduces the prices on the ultra-rare cards. Yes, they are still expensive but not the thousands of dollars level.

Personally, I handle it by killing my completist tendencies. I just work out which cards I am going to collect and call that 'complete'. In fact, because the dealers can make money from the incentives, I believe I get lower prices on the boxes I do buy and it's actually cheaper for me to collect what I want.

Don't all flame me at once Big Grin I just thought the other view might be useful for discussion.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post