Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Ultra-Rare Dealer Incentives on New X-Files Set !
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultra-Rare Dealer Incentives on New X-Files Set !
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of doggonit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
On a side note, I think a lot has to do with disposible income. I owed a comic book shop in a poor state. Price of gas goes up, hobby spending goes down. Price of food goes up, hobby spending goes down. If enought of the hobby shops which sells cards say, "I just can't buy this product without a way to make money on it", something has to be done by the manufactor. One way for the manufactor to do this is to produce an incentive card to give to the shops that buy products.

very true, most hobbies, whatever the subject are struggling right now due to lack of spare cash.
I've bought very little last 6 months, haven't stopped collecting - just buying.

I guess Inkworks and other card companies don't make these changes lightly, they must feel it's the best for them

Posts: 717 | Location: uk | Registered: April 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
hahahahaha.
i'd be selling 1/2 my organs for it then! Big Grin

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Byrne:
hahahahaha.

Hey, it'd just go on my loooooong wishlist of cards for when I win the lotto along with the Drusilla Big Bads pw and the stake prop card.

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anjee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Byrne:
hahahahaha.

yeah, i would trade a kidney for an smg buffy auto card. holy ****. did i really just say that?

redemption- you have the base of my holy grail list right there. drusilla bb pw, stake card. ahhh, to dream...

but back to this topic, i might pick up some cards in this series but won't stress over the dual auto card (and that's saying a lot as i am a completest to the core). mainly because i just don't find it particularly interesting to have a dual auto card that is made up of stickers. it really loses its specialness when it is not hand signed, imho.

Posts: 310 | Location: madison,wi | Registered: January 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spooky Mulder
posted Hide Post
If I were to go for 10 cases and get the dual card.. I can't imagine what I would possibly do with all those base and chase sets. I doubt I could even sell/trade half of them with the market as it is right now.

Posts: 22 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: June 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeyUK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spooky Mulder:
If I were to go for 10 cases and get the dual card.. I can't imagine what I would possibly do with all those base and chase sets. I doubt I could even sell/trade half of them with the market as it is right now.

Thats exactly what i think too - i'd probably be able to sell 1 or 2 sets, give 1 or 2 away and then bin the rest, which is a real shame.

Posts: 460 | Location: West Yorkshire | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Truth is the vast majority of the base sets would be put straight in the recycling bin

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
Also the chances of anyone in the UK obtaining 10 cases of a single product are virtually nil!!! The cusoms bill would also be quite hefty.

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
It may be that you feel upset on this set because Allan and Inkworks has been ''freind to the collector'' for many many years now. What has happened here has happened with other Inkwork sets, its just that with ones like Alias they may not have had the mass demand that the X-Files set will get. The fact is the business and yes its a business no matter how many of you wish to throw sentimentality into the mix has changed even within the space of 2 years to the extent that, as one of you put it earlier people have to change or die. When i say die i mean in this case stop releasing product, because Inkworks are not in this for fun they are in it to be a financially viable business.

For example Artbox who have done 1/2/5/10/25 case incentives for years, dont talk to the collector, dont give info, dont update thier website, dont basically do anything than release product never get the ammount of criticism that you all throw at Inkworks.

Posts: 685 | Location: uk | Registered: September 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darren:
It may be that you feel upset on this set because Allan and Inkworks has been ''freind to the collector'' for many many years now. What has happened here has happened with other Inkwork sets, its just that with ones like Alias they may not have had the mass demand that the X-Files set will get. The fact is the business and yes its a business no matter how many of you wish to throw sentimentality into the mix has changed even within the space of 2 years to the extent that, as one of you put it earlier people have to change or die. When i say die i mean in this case stop releasing product, because Inkworks are not in this for fun they are in it to be a financially viable business.

For example Artbox who have done 1/2/5/10/25 case incentives for years, dont talk to the collector, dont give info, dont update thier website, dont basically do anything than release product never get the ammount of criticism that you all throw at Inkworks.

darren - You are quite right, Artbox (and Topps) give minimal and in some cases (Topps saying Hobby only but releasing Retail) wrong info. Whereas inkworks are upfront and get Crucified for being honest and Open. It doesn't matter what you do somebody is always unhappy. You can see the logic in offering case incentives - the business needs to shift stock and if the odd incentive needs to be added that's life and as for the FOA promo - so what it will be on my want list for as long as it takes to get it.

I think people are getting too uptight about a "Master Set" - just go for a pack pulled Master Set and enjoy the cards and let inkworks stay in business.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Chris Byrne
quote:
question:
would it be the same situation if they announce a final buffy set w/ a 10 case SMG auto?

I honestly think now if they did finally get SMG's auto, it would be an incentive, which would be really disappointing to fans because hardly anyone would be able to get one. I could see that card selling for over $1000 easily, which is certainly past my price range.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
I honestly think now if they did finally get SMG's auto, it would be an incentive, which would be really disappointing to fans because hardly anyone would be able to get one. I could see that card selling for over $1000 easily, which is certainly past my price range.

That price wouldn't surprise me since the Buffy 10TH Anniversary SE-1 stake prop card often sells for close to or above $700.00. Buffy has some loyal fans that even after so many years want more. Big Grin

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:

darren - You are quite right, Artbox (and Topps) give minimal and in some cases (Topps saying Hobby only but releasing Retail) wrong info. Whereas inkworks are upfront and get Crucified for being honest and Open. It doesn't matter what you do somebody is always unhappy. You can see the logic in offering case incentives - the business needs to shift stock

quote:
Originally posted by darren:

There's truth in both of these posts, however there's an old saying, "You can't have your cake and eat it too."
If Inkworks wants to be known as a collector friendly company then their recent activity isn't helping them. If they want to be like Topps then that is fine also, but they should be aware that they will get savaged on this board, just like Topps does for every release.

As for the point about, "shifting stock", well is it wise to pass the burden of risk to dealers through the use of incentive cards? I'm not sure that's a perfect solution to a sagging hobby. The "I've got mine" mentality isn't good for all of us in the long run.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:

There's truth in both of these posts, however there's an old saying, "You can't have your cake and eat it too."

Same can be said for collectors as well - We can't have it all, it's a fact of life

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of riddickfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redemption:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Streich:

Again that's your opinion, to me they are the same except with the incentives you actually have to buy something where with the promo it was free..

One is only free to whom Allen wants to give it to. If you're not on the guest list that's just too bad. Deal with it. Or not, I really don't care.

quote:
I'm sure I'll get a smart comment from you as you are obviously always right and everyone elses opinions don't matter Roll Eyes...

That would be you dude. I haven't been the one whining about how Allen should run his business and in the same beat blasting those of us that don't like auto stickers. Roll Eyes

quote:
To me(and many others it does) just because you see it one way doesn't make you better or wiser, EVERYONE collects for different reasons and to a completest who collects for the thrill of the hunt and the FUN it is worthless and diminishes the set because to me because it's not about the value of the cards..

I'm not even going to bother... like I said before, I really don't care how and what you collect.

quote:

And to an X files fan I would agree with Arvin(did I just say that Eek) the duel is the holy grail as it has both of them and the kiss scene..

And it exists... isn't that wonderful that some X-Files card collecting fans are going to be getting it? Thumb Up

I know I'm so envious already that some collector will get the "holy grail" card of this release(at least for some). Big Grin

Posts: 1491 | Location: Panama City Beach,FL | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I'm an X-files fan out here and i don't think any of the cards are a holy grail card as they all have stupid stickers stuck on em!

Harumph!!!! Razz

Couldnt agree more, I hate stickers with a passion. Im a huge x-files fan, but not interested in this set at all. Im really into cards from circa 2001 and earlier, as it was really about the hobby. Id much rather a chris carter series 4/5 than a dual david and gillian. Sure these new autos will be very exp when they first appear, but will die down quite a lot. It was the same when people here ranting how the toby maguire auto would be the most saught after non sport auto ever.
The idea of a David auto is a holy grail yes, but not as part of this release. If it was done 4-5 years ago.

Posts: 52 | Location: Australia | Registered: July 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted Hide Post
Put half of those incentives in the packs and customers (street guys) will get a chance too, to complete their set. Dealers will still get theirs, 100% sure, and customers will be able to experience too the FULL magic, when opening a pack or a box.

The pack will get it's full value back, as if even a box was searched, there's still a chance to get a gem.

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spooky Mulder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buff_Daddy:
quote:
I'm an X-files fan out here and i don't think any of the cards are a holy grail card as they all have stupid stickers stuck on em!

Harumph!!!! Razz

Couldnt agree more, I hate stickers with a passion. Im a huge x-files fan, but not interested in this set at all. Im really into cards from circa 2001 and earlier, as it was really about the hobby. Id much rather a chris carter series 4/5 than a dual david and gillian. Sure these new autos will be very exp when they first appear, but will die down quite a lot. It was the same when people here ranting how the toby maguire auto would be the most saught after non sport auto ever.
The idea of a David auto is a holy grail yes, but not as part of this release. If it was done 4-5 years ago.

I am also a huge X-files fan, and I can't possibly see how this isn't the holy grail. You don't want a Dual Signed card from the two star actors? Or a Duchovny auto at long last? I may not favour the sticker method but i'd want this even if I wasn't a non-sport card collector. It's the definition of The Holy Grail IMHO.

Posts: 22 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: June 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Buff_Daddy:
quote:

Harumph!!!! Razz

I am also a huge X-files fan, and I can't possibly see how this isn't the holy grail. You don't want a Dual Signed card from the two star actors? Or a Duchovny auto at long last? I may not favour the sticker method but i'd want this even if I wasn't a non-sport card collector. It's the definition of The Holy Grail IMHO.

Not really, it does nothing for me. Like I said if David signed cards for the earlier releases, it would be a holy grail. All theyve done is taken a scully sticker and a mulder sticker and pasted them on one card. Its not as if both david and gillian held the same card. I dont feel this card has any passion. Also the david autographs are nice, but will reserve judgement depending on how limited they are. A holy grail to me is not a card that will flood the market either. Hopefully they made these in low enough numbers.

Posts: 52 | Location: Australia | Registered: July 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just spoke to a dealer who I know, and he said that he's getting 1 dual auto, but someone already bought it from him for $1,000.

That is about what I paid for a master set of Smallville Season 6 !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post