Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Ultra-Rare Dealer Incentives on New X-Files Set !
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultra-Rare Dealer Incentives on New X-Files Set !
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Streich:

IF you took the beating and flaming they did on here from the switch to sticker autographs would you bother coming back?

Or the Friends of Allen cards issue...

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of doggonit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gotham_Knight:
I am not buying any of this release, i had considered it but the fact i cant complete a master set in my budget theres no way im going to bother trying.

same here,

I think this is one of the main reasons that, apart from the exception of the very small number of top cards, the product generally does badly on the secondary market, even bombs.
Prices really low, great for buyers, but collectors by nature are completists (mostly anyway) - and just as you say, if completion is impossible - why bother starting.

as a x-files fan/collector I will buy the odd auto or pieceworks not included in previous sets, perhaps - but that's about it ...

Posts: 717 | Location: uk | Registered: April 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doggonit:
Prices really low, great for buyers, but collectors by nature are completists (mostly anyway) - and just as you say, if completion is impossible - why bother starting.

I have so many incomplete master sets what's one more or two or three... Wink I'm happy with what I can afford and dream of eventually getting what I can't.

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can only offer my perspective in saying that if a puzzle came out with 100 pieces and I could only reasonably get 97 of them, I would pass on the entire item rather than having an incomplete puzzle. That is no doubt what I will do here.

I have not looked at prices on the net, but if a 10 box case costs $ 5000, what do you think a dealer will offer the dual auto for, $ 1000 ?
Can he reasonably make a profit on just the autos and costume cards in the boxes ?

I remember the good old days when I could assemble complete X-Files sets by Inkworks for my collection, for way less than a thousand dollars. I wish that it was still like that !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I can only offer my perspective in saying that if a puzzle came out with 100 pieces and I could only reasonably get 97 of them, I would pass on the entire item rather than having an incomplete puzzle. That is no doubt what I will do here.

I have not looked at prices on the net, but if a 10 box case costs $ 5000, what do you think a dealer will offer the dual auto for, $ 1000 ?
Can he reasonably make a profit on just the autos and costume cards in the boxes ?

I remember the good old days when I could assemble complete X-Files sets by Inkworks for my collection, for way less than a thousand dollars. I wish that it was still like that !

Here! Here!

Serenity and Firefly are similar examples!

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
So if you needed a surgery to live longer, but were told that you had only a 97% of surving you wouldn't try for it either?

Picture of Gregore
posted Hide Post
Didn't Inkworks try a set for easier completion? - Golden Compass. Less rare cards, a lower price and no incentives. A great looking set, good movie and yet the set bombed.
I know I will NEVER have complete sets on most. But I still go for 'em. After all, who can afford a hundred card incentive? (Harry Potter being the prime offender - $1500 for the train ticket) Not me...not many.
It strikes me, there are two kinds of collectors. Those that do it for the joy and those that do it for speculation, if you collect for value.....how long can these kind of cards keep their value?
If the Hobby IS losing collectors by the boatload, prices will have to come down just to survive.

Posts: 89 | Location: Earth - I'm told | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redemption:
quote:

IF you took the beating and flaming they did on here from the switch to sticker autographs would you bother coming back?

No that is a legit topic as I've said to me there is NO difference between that card and the "incentive card"

I am talking about ACCUSING them of getting autos and holding them back to save money in the future and get one over on the stars and collectors without ANY proof..

Posts: 3874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
So if you needed a surgery to live longer, but were told that you had only a 97% of surving you wouldn't try for it either?

That's one of the weakest arguments I have ever heard.. I come from sports and that was simple you put the sets together but they got out of hand so I left that. There are a lot of people out there who collect sets I imagine this card will frustrate them (some to the point of not bothering). Why do people REFUSE to just accept that people have their OWN ways of collecting, you collect what/how you want and I'll collect what/how I want.. Why must MY collecting habits be critized..

Those that do it for the joy and those that do it for speculation

Yes I did it for Joy, the joy of tracking down those cards I was missing to complete my set, it gave me reason to open boxes hoping for the ones I needed and if I pulled doubles the Joy of trading for ones I needed to COMPLETE my sets..

Posts: 3874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

No that is a legit topic as I've said to me there is NO difference between that card and the "incentive card"

I am talking about ACCUSING them of getting autos and holding them back to save money in the future and get one over on the stars and collectors without ANY proof..

NO there is a huge difference between an incentive card and a Friend of Allen card.

You came here to complain and dictate how Allen should distribute cards which HE payed to be designed and made with HIS money and which (As the card clearly is named) to be distributed to whom he wished.

Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do people REFUSE to just accept that people have their OWN ways of collecting, you collect what/how you want and I'll collect what/how I want.. Why must MY collecting habits be critized..

I personally don't give a damn how you or anyone else collects. But don't try and tell me that a hard to get or expensive card would diminsh a set or make it less worthy.

The very real definition of a "collection" doesn't include the words "complete" or "master" nor is there a time limit in which you need to "finish" your collection.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gregore:
It strikes me, there are two kinds of collectors. Those that do it for the joy and those that do it for speculation, if you collect for value.....how long can these kind of cards keep their value?

I disagree completely,

There are 4 types of collectors:
Those with the disposable cash to buy what they want at any price

Those that have disposable cash and are fugal in the cost of the items they buy

Those that "don't" have the disposable cash to buy everything so they only buy what they want

Those that "don't" have any disposable cash and complain that prices are too high because they can't buy it.

I'm being blunt here, but you don't hear the CEO of a corporation complaining they can't pay for gas for their private jet, or fill up the tank on their SUV or Hummer but you can be sure those who are middle income families complain that gas prices have gone up from $2.00 a gallon to $4.50 a gallon.

IMO after rereading this thread, there are a lot of people complaining because they don't have the money to buy something they want when they feel they should got it for free or it should be inexpensive.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
There is one thing that seems to have vanished from recent threads about Inkworks products and that is Inkworks.

Andy used to come on and pretty much say " right you lot, we've had all the rumours and speculation now here are the facts ".

It seems to me it would be quite useful in threads like this. I wonder why they took the decision to stop doing it?

I believe the saying is, "You shouldn't ask questions when you already know the answers." Wink

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Yes you are right, i do know the answer, but if i was Inkworks i would want to at least try and put my side of the subject and not just walk away and let everyone assume, perhaps unfairly, what is what and why.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi_Collector:

I'm being blunt here, but you don't hear the CEO of a corporation complaining they can't pay for gas for their private jet, or fill up the tank on their SUV or Hummer but you can be sure those who are middle income families complain that gas prices have gone up from $2.00 a gallon to $4.50 a gallon.

Did you say you smoked a blunt Smokin' or were being blunt, when you made your post?

Of course you won't hear a CEO crying about the price of gas for the company jet. It isn't coming out of his pocket.

I totally disagree with you on why people are complaining about this 10 case incentive card. They are upset, because they are fans of this license and have bought this product faithfully and when Inkworks finally scores the, "Holy Grail" card for X-Files fans, Inkworks turns around and sticks it to them.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:

I totally disagree with you on why people are complaining about this 10 case incentive card. They are upset, because they are fans of this license and have bought this product faithfully and when Inkworks finally scores the, "Holy Grail" card for X-Files fans, Inkworks turns around and sticks it to them.

If the holy grail card is the David auto and that is not a dealer incentive I don't see how Inkworks has stuck it to them. If anything I think Inkworks has been very fair to collectors to offer both the single auto cards of the stars in the same set as the 10 case card.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If the holy grail card is the David auto and that is not a dealer incentive I don't see how Inkworks has stuck it to them. If anything I think Inkworks has been very fair to collectors to offer both the single auto cards of the stars in the same set and for dealers the 10 case card.

NO, THE HOLY GRAIL CARD IS THE DUAL, that should be pretty obvious.

Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:

No it's not that obvious. Please enlighten me as I thought it was the David Duchovny auto that fans have been crying for that would be the holy grail. I have never heard of a dual autograph card being the "holy grail" until after Inkworks announcement.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No it's not that obvious. Please enlighten me as I thought it was the David Duchovny auto that fans have been crying for that would be the holy grail. I have never heard of a dual autograph card being the "holy grail" until after Inkworks announcement.

BLASPHEMOUS HERTIC!
What do you advocate next? Rocky without Bullwinkle. Abbott minus Costello. Bonnie sans Clyde. Frick without Frack. And let's not forget Butch minus Sundance.
Yes, they have always wanted a David Duchovny card, but both Mulder and Scully on the same card, now that is X-Files nirvana and you know that.

Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, they have always wanted a David Duchovny card, but both Mulder and Scully on the same card, now that is X-Files nirvana and you know that.

Well, that's how we collectors differ in our collecting and our collections. While I would love having ALL the cards getting that elusive signature of a star I admire satisfies my lust. I don't need both of Jennifer Garner's Alias cards. Would I love both... sure, but I would be happy to have just one as it's her signature I was after.