Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Ultra-Rare Dealer Incentives on New X-Files Set !
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultra-Rare Dealer Incentives on New X-Files Set !
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hosie:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
It's from the Intrepid set.

Ok, but WHAT is it!?! Big Grin

I far as I know it was called a "master cel' card
its a plastic card like the contact case card
It was made by Intrepid
I have only ever seen this picture . I fellow card collector own it & sold it back in the 90s . He gave me the picture of it

It's not even listed on Jeff Allender's site so it must be rare.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
quote:
Originally posted by hosie:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
It's from the Intrepid set.

Ok, but WHAT is it!?! Big Grin

I far as I know it was called a "master cel' card
its a plastic card like the contact case card
It was made by Intrepid
I have only ever seen this picture . I fellow Australian card collector owned it & sold it back in the 90s . He gave me the picture of it

It's not even listed on Jeff Allender's site so it must be rare.

I know its not there . I have been looking for this card for at least 12 years or more. It might have only been a prototype card but someone owns it.

Posts: 48 | Location: Australia | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I don't own it (but I wish I did), so you can cross me off the list.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Apex_Ninja
posted Hide Post

It looks to me if the card is bigger than the case ?? Roll Eyes
Isn't it damaged by the screws ?

Posts: 133 | Location: NL | Registered: August 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So far as I can tell, the "Master Cel" name is a trademark used by Dynamic Marketing (parent of Intrepid) and it seems to be seen almost completely for Rugby League cards of the same time period under the Dynamic nameplate.

hosie didn't get any reports of sightings on the ozcardtrader forum or the X-Files Webring, and the image says it's No. 0001 out of (1000?). I suspect that it was a prototype and they decided not to issue it with the series, but one or a few were given to big dealers or friends of the company. There's plenty of web-search hits for every one of the nine Rugby League Master Cels.

The XF card would have come out at the same time as the Contact set - the timing matches the rugby cards. But I also see there was supposed to be a Master Cel for The Phantom by Intrepid, and it wasn't part of the Phantom Gallery set. The Phantom Official Fan Club Australia had an ad for a limited edition of 700 at Au$95 together with a free set of Phantom Country cards, but the only evidence I can find for this card is one unsigned unnumbered card.

So my best guess is that the X-Files card was not part of the main Contact set and would have been sold separately, like the Phantom card, but they changed their mind and only made prototypes. It may be relevant that only one seems to have shown up, and it's numbered 0001. I think if there were hundreds made, there would be more 'debris' on the web - apparently the Master Cels only really made it to rugby.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:

But I also see there was supposed to be a Master Cel for The Phantom by Intrepid, and it wasn't part of the Phantom Gallery set. The Phantom Official Fan Club Australia had an ad for a limited edition of 700 at Au$95 together with a free set of Phantom Country cards, but the only evidence I can find for this card is one unsigned unnumbered card.

Jeff - I actually have one of the Phantom MasterCel cards (and the ad). The ad I have was issued by 'Intrepid Phantom Memorabilia'. It states there are 700 MasterCels, all signed and the photo in the ad has the MasterCel in a stand/holder. However, it's clear that's not the only way to get one as my MasterCel is unsigned and does not have a holder. Also, the MasterCel has the Intrepid logo on the front and a copyright date of 1996. It is 8x10 acetate.

The bottom half of the ad is selling a folder with the chase cards from series 1,2 and Gallery.

Given its size, the Phantom MasterCel could not have been included in packs. Judging entirely from the size of the signature section in the X-Files picture, it looks like the X-Files MasterCel is of a similar format. This suggests you are correct, that it is an Intrepid special offer card perhaps made available through a fan club or mail order.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought it may have been a prototype card as I have only ever seen this one . I know where/ what shop to was bought from back in the 90s . And I know who it was sold to as that's who gave me the picture . I was hoping that there may have been more (at least one more ) that I could buy. I did only collect x-files for 17 years and have never seen this card for sale . I was a member of the Australian x-files fanclub
I have just started collecting non sport boxes & may even start on another TV show/movie

Posts: 48 | Location: Australia | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post