Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Redakai 3D Lenticular TCG - QUESTION
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redakai 3D Lenticular TCG - QUESTION
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted
Has anyone purchased these new cards? They retail somewhere between $4.99 and $6.99 per pack depending on what chain you go to (Walgreen's, Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, Shopko, etc...). The packs are sold in blister packaging and are only displayed in toy departments. Supposedly all the cards are 3D, and most of the one-pack blisters I have seen feature at least one card that can be viewed through the packaging.... Most of the other products associated with this new title are action figures, starter packs, and readers that vary in price between $8 and $25, but they definitely sell packs for under $7.

So, I am wondering if these cards are worth the purchase.... If anyone has bought these, a review-like comment here would be appreciated.

thanks,
Geoff

P.S. This is the product website: http://redakai.com/.

Posts: 617 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 617 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I have the SDCC promo and the 3D is good, the art is just OK.

Boosters for $7? Crazy.

Worth getting into? All depends on if you plan to play the game or just collect the cards.

If you plan to play, then there is some logic to buy random boosters because the harder to find cards will be more useful in the game.

If you plan to collect, I'd say stay away at this point. If it's a hit, you'll be able to find commons and uncommons cheap because they pile up in the search for the rares and ultra-rares. You might even find full sets eventually at a fair price as people break boxes and cases of product.

If it's not a hit, you'll be able to pick up boosters on the cheap in 6 months to a year. Time is definitely on your side here.

IMO $7 a pack is crazy for cards with manufactured rarity and the 'premium' cards are only really special if you play the game. But, your budget is your business. I wouldn't think of telling you not to buy them if you think you'll enjoy them.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
I have about 90% of the collection of series 1. As a collector of many things lenticular, I couldn't resist. The only cards I'm missing are most of the ones sold exclusively with the action figures. It's hard to justify $9.00+ for a single current trading card.

The cards themselves are pretty neat. Each character card is done in lenticular 3D. Each "attack" card is also done in lenticular 3D, but has a transparent background and smooth animation. This feature enables you to place the attack card over the character card for a full 3D "animated attack" effect.

I have no intention of playing the game, but I do really love these cards. Durable plastic, foil accents, and clear lenticular 3D images and actions.

(Secretly, I hope the line flops so I can pick up the figure cards I need on the cheap!)

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard: (Secretly, I hope the line flops so I can pick up the figure cards I need on the cheap!)

That is an AWESOME comment!!! Haha!! I thought the EXACT SAME THING when I first saw these cards about a month ago. They look great (haven’t bought a pack yet), but that PRICE!!!! $7???? Whoa, no way!!!! Considering that many other cards of these types often wind up on clearance, that’s precisely what I am hoping will eventually happen to these cards.

posted Hide Post
A while back they were offering a promotion where they sent you a free gold pack, just for signing up for their site before launch of the game. I have a single pack worth of cards and they are kind of neat. At Kmart they sell the packs slightly cheaper at $4.99 to $8.99 with box sets going for $9.99 and up.

Posts: 74 | Location: Buffalo, NY | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
Looks like they just released an update to the main set called REDAKAI: METACHARGED on October 15th. The update packs are only available at hobby shops (retail $4.99 a pack). They feature all new characters and attacks. Unfortunately, my local hobby dealer isn't carrying them, but I did get some off Ebay. Just received them today. Very cool!

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post