Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Plastic coating or no?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plastic coating or no?
 Login/Join

Picture of <<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>
posted
I have been frustrated with the plastic coating on cards, as it sure is a pain when they stick together, love the old style cards better even though they may look a little more not as fancy as the plastic coated ones! Even worse, when they're so stuck together it's like they have been welded together, then both cards are pretty much done like dinner! As long as they use a good quality cardboard for the card, I'd rather have the plain card, than the one with glossy sticky covering!

Posts: 217 | Location: Where you can't find me!!!!!! | Registered: August 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Having a "UV coating" was a plus back in the 90's, The glossy look was in. It was years later that some people who either saved FPG boxes for years or found them later discovered that the cards were stuck together - apparently forever - because of that coating. Many etched foil cards like the Karl Art promos (Epoch, Space Bananas, etc.) ended up sticking together in their original cello-packs as well. Collectors often want to keep unopened packs in their collections but sometimes it's bad for the cards. It makes me wonder if it makes a difference if someone has kept unopened packs or boxed sets (factory or hand-collated) in a climate-controlled room/building.

quote:
Originally posted by <<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>:
I have been frustrated with the plastic coating on cards, as it sure is a pain when they stick together, love the old style cards better even though they may look a little more not as fancy as the plastic coated ones! Even worse, when they're so stuck together it's like they have been welded together, then both cards are pretty much done like dinner! As long as they use a good quality cardboard for the card, I'd rather have the plain card, than the one with glossy sticky covering!

Posts: 4407 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post