Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    is this a paypal scam and can i do anything about it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

is this a paypal scam and can i do anything about it
 Login/Join

posted
i sold my first thing on a new paypal account.
they're holding the money until 21 days after the customer recieves the item. but it says he can push a button to release the funds as soon as he gets the package. is that wrong? because i have been trying to tell him for 10 days but he says he has money on hold too and his customers can't release his funds either? sounds a bit fishy.

a big problem is that the tracking number doesn't have seemed to link to their system. my customer said he did not get en email from paypal with the tracking number so i honestly could be getting messed around by paypal.

does anyone know anything i can do.
i stopped using paypal 15 years ago because they would screw up and then not have a phone number or email to even let you state your case,
and i still can't find a phone number or email.

Posts: 53 | Location: Springfield | Registered: June 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I would say what you've had is absolute rubbish. I've never had to release funds. The cash is taken out of a bank account. Your customer would only see tracking information if you've put it on the item and the link would be in their "My eBay" part of their eBay account.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so that's your your situation. i'm asking for help from people that have had problems with paypal. it was understandable when i was told my money would be held by paypal for 21 days because it was my first transaction. customer protection and all that is a good thing. i'm just annoyed that when you follow the rabbit hole of automated answers in the help pages. it says that i can either wait 21 days after it's been recieved or have the buyer select to unhold the funds when they recieve the packaging. butwhen i added tracking number paypal said "your customer should recieve an email with updated tracking information.
it wasn't an ebay sale. it was on gumtree.
so the only evidence of tracking is the number atatched to the paypal transaction. and when i click on that it always takes me to an error page and i don't know why but am afraid that there is no evidence of delivery and i'm waiting for 21 days from when the customer says it's arrived and it seems like he is not going to do that.

so if anyone knows how to make this right or has had similar problems that do resolve themselves then i would love to hear.
thanks

Posts: 53 | Location: Springfield | Registered: June 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by handicapabletrader:
so that's your your situation. i'm asking for help from people that have had problems with paypal. it was understandable when i was told my money would be held by paypal for 21 days because it was my first transaction. customer protection and all that is a good thing. i'm just annoyed that when you follow the rabbit hole of automated answers in the help pages. it says that i can either wait 21 days after it's been recieved or have the buyer select to unhold the funds when they recieve the packaging. butwhen i added tracking number paypal said "your customer should recieve an email with updated tracking information.
it wasn't an ebay sale. it was on gumtree.
so the only evidence of tracking is the number atatched to the paypal transaction. and when i click on that it always takes me to an error page and i don't know why but am afraid that there is no evidence of delivery and i'm waiting for 21 days from when the customer says it's arrived and it seems like he is not going to do that.

so if anyone knows how to make this right or has had similar problems that do resolve themselves then i would love to hear.
thanks

You seem very aggressive. Perhaps it's a problem with gumtree sales, having never purchased or sold through gumtree (as most people on here use ebay - the assumption would be that you were selling on ebay). Had you said gumtree you wouldn't have got an ebay answer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
If Paypal hang to payments for some reason, it should be mentioned somewhere on its FAQ or Terms & Conditions pages.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah it does. it tells me to ask the buyer to click a button that says release funds

posted Hide Post
and gumtree has been great for 10 years for me. i like person to person sales but over covid have accepted bank transfer and now had to open a paypal account to sell some shoes and this is my 1st bad experience with gumtree

also i have a fair bit of prefrontal lobe injury so don't have much of a filter for bad decisions, including whati type, so i'm sorry if i sound angry. i try to read posts after i right them.
and i should probably say my best friend broke my car today while borrowing it just as i was about to sell it and tried to convince me to let him scrap it for quick disposal and got real angry when i said no,i need to sell my car. i put it on gumtree and 3 minutes later had 7 buyers and went to pick up the car and the engine was basically blown up and i ended up losing my best friend over how harsh i treated him for trying to screw me financially over a mistake he hadnt admitted to, not that you want friends like those...ah so yeah i've had a pretty angry day,and again apologize for letting those vibes filter through here unneccesarily.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
And to think this whole on line auction thing started with you won the bid, sent money through the mail and then you prayed (or slaughtered a living chicken over your 56k modem) in hopes you got your item.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no, this actually started on forum "raffle" threads. i was selling books on amazon when i was still in high school but before amazon i was compiling collections of cards and comics and customer lists (thinking aheadSmile )on forums

posted Hide Post
forums are friggin great for getting bunches of like minded people together

posted Hide Post
wohoo only 44 days and paypal finally cleared my money. i had spent money out of the account putting it in negative less than 24 hours before they cleared it.
so if you ever have this same problem i'd say after the 21days they tell you that you have to wait ,you should just spend the money and let them catch up.

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Paypal has been doing this with some new accounts due to the influx of online fraud. People were making a new paypal/ebay account, selling a bunch of stuff, collect the money and then transfer it out and close the associated bank account leaving paypal and ebay in the negative. This way it helps them weed out some of the fraud.

Like mykdude said back in the day we would send cash or money order through the mail without thinking twice. Don't think I ever had a problem not getting my item that way.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember the days, not too long ago, when you won an ebay auction, and certain sellers would accept postal money orders, only.

I distinctly recall one of the 3 or 4 bad experiences I had with ebay over the past 22 years involved mailing a $ 6.00 money order to Florida for a Simpsons SkyBox promo, and never receiving it...

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
And to think this whole on line auction thing started with you won the bid, sent money through the mail and then you prayed (or slaughtered a living chicken over your 56k modem) in hopes you got your item.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I remember the days, not too long ago, when you won an ebay auction, and certain sellers would accept postal money orders, only.

Darn it, we old folks are starting to go way back to experience our youth. Even Wolfie may have been in diapers "not too long ago." The last auction I paid with a money order was in March 2008. Eek I knew the staff at the P.O. quite well back then ... but I didn't have to trudge through the snow, uphill both ways.

And mkdude, those 56k modems weren't allowed to get above 53.3k under FCC rules. But they were a great upgrade over 14.4k. And not too long ago, we used slower modems to connect to the Bulletin Board Systems, and we had several days' lag on forums because the local hub compressed messages, sent them to a regional hub at night when phone rates were low; the regional eventually transferred them to a national or international system. And I remember restoring a minicomputer's memory long-distance at 3600 baud. Nowadays my phone could make it seconds, not half a day.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:

Even Wolfie may have been in diapers "not too long ago."

Last week actually but that's another story for another day. Big Grin

I don't know if i ever sent a money order. I have certainly paid for cards with cash, stamps, cheque, International Responce Coupon, Dollars all sent through the post with no problems.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I still send money orders. I also pay cash at the grocery checkout. When they stop printing dollar bills, I'll convert. If I'm still here. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Can we still get postal (money) orders in the UK?

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post