Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Title & Checklist Cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Title & Checklist Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted
This may be an old discussion.

I miss title and checklist cards. Frown

What do you think?

Posts: 4230 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I wasn't even aware they had stopped but then i do operate about 5 years behind everybody else. Big Grin

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yes, checklist cards were great and could be very sort after in their own right. The last card in a set might be the final checklist. Also the whole thing about finding the mint unmarked/unchecked checklists takes me back.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
You must be as old as I am

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
At least, but that's all I'll admit to. Wink

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So what's wrong with "old"?

The big point is that the "base set" of 66 or 90 or 100 could have their titles listed on a 2-sided card, but today's sets focus on a wide range of inserts and hits, and a base set is treated as a single item.

Some cardmakers still do checklists, more of them do title cards, while others post checklists online or in sell sheets. Older checklist cards might have been used physically to make tick marks for the cards you have, but who did that after they reached age 12? From the 1980s and earlier, the best approach was to print more checklist card than the typical base card, maybe even one per pack.

Occasionally web and PDF lists are accurate. Other times they are only marginally helpful because the "titles" on the list don't match anything that's printed on the cards, making it difficult to recognize a card that would fill a gap from just the card front. If the only value in filling a set is to keep track of the numbers, a collector can do that offline.

Sometimes a "checklist" is just a "set composition list" that says base 1-90, insert set 1 XX1-XX9 etc., sketch cards (no artist list), autographs (maybe see website), four parallel sets, and so forth. Other times the cardmaker fills the same purpose by printing subset insertion odds on the back of the pack.

I encourage people to give more attention to the older sets where it actually meant something to have a high-grade title or checklist card without rubber band or tick marks!

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post