Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Another Night of the Living Dead Card Set
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Night of the Living Dead Card Set
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Martyr:
When are you going to do a set, Ted? Smile

Ha! I might be the only person who HASN'T put out a NOTLD set! Big Grin

That's an interesting thought, though, since it's public domain. I don't know what I could do that would possibly add to everything that's already existing?

I do still have a bag of dirt from the cemetery...

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:

I don't know what I could do that would possibly add to everything that's already existing?

You could put out a set of cards where you don't need to sell your house in order to buy them.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
When are you going to do a set, Ted? Smile

Ha! I might be the only person who HASN'T put out a NOTLD set! Big Grin

That's an interesting thought, though, since it's public domain. I don't know what I could do that would possibly add to everything that's already existing?

Haha, you and me both! The movie is PD but these cards are licensed. That gives the artist the right to use the recognizable logo, get official autographs, copyright the cards through Image Ten and of course get their endorsement on social media. I don't know what their pricing is for licensing cards but the creators of this and the last set sought it so I think it ultimately helps sales.

It's hard to imagine a totally new set of cards at this point though, huh?

Posts: 130 | Location: Maryland | Registered: February 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the 2021 Kickstarter, the creator just announced that the cards (finally) are in hand

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These are shipping out to folks now

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
I received my set in today's mail - beautiful card set, well worth the wait.

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My friend got his cards yesterday, as well

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is a new NOTLD Kickstarter (comic book)

https://www.kickstarter.com/pr...creator_youve_backed

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the comic Kickstarter, there will be an exclusive card if they hit 10 K. They have 2 days left, and only $ 1,000 away

posted Hide Post
Just to collect some updates in one place, there have actually been THREE new NotLD card sets released in 2022 that I have not had time to update my blog or this thread about.

--VHS Lobby Card set designed by Jim Cirronella and Richard Fowlks (announced in 2021, everyone should have these by now)

--Mark Spears Monsters Night of the Living Dead 13 card subset, limited to just 300 copies (very recently released and available directly from Mark Spears or can be purchased on Amazon)

--Living Dead Weekend 2022 13 card set featuring the artwork of Michael Calandra (who was also a sketch artist for the 2012 Unstoppable set and has done poster art for Living Dead Weekend in recent years). There will be a blank autograph card as well as a parallel set of red border cards (the main set has a green border). These will become available THIS WEEKEND at the event. Calandra tells me that he will sell copies on his Etsy page after Living Dead Weekend also. This will include some one of one original sketches!

Posts: 130 | Location: Maryland | Registered: February 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh and speaking of which,

Check out my dedicated Night of the Living Dead trading card blog:

MASS HYSTERIA

https://MassHysteriaCards.Wordpress.com/

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The comic Kickstarter passed 10 K so they are making the NOTLD card

posted Hide Post
Wow! That's awesome! I just backed at the lowest tier to get the card. Thanks for the info!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
The comic Kickstarter passed 10 K so they are making the NOTLD card

I got the card - looks great. Designed by Richard Fowlks from the Drive-In and VHS sets. Very cool!

Have you gotten your Living Dead Weekend 2022 cards from Michael Calandra's Etsy page?

Byron Winton is telling me that he might make a set with his sketches for LDW 2023.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Another Kickstarter !

https://www.kickstarter.com/pr...s/a-theater-near-you

And it has CARDS if they get to $ 4,000

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tommy C,

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Another Kickstarter !

https://www.kickstarter.com/pr...s/a-theater-near-you

And it has CARDS if they get to $ 4,000

They're almost at $3k already with 23 days to go, there's a good chance it'll hit the mark. This looks like a pretty cool book.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeez, I'm almost getting tired of all the card releases this year alone. It's some kind of mass hysteria!

Ted, we are still waiting for your NotLD card set! Mark Spears and Calandra did one this year and Byron Winton is talking about doing one next year.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ted, we are still waiting for your NotLD card set! Mark Spears and Calandra did one this year and Byron Winton is talking about doing one next year.

Don't think that I haven't considered it. With so many products out there, I have to imagine their licensing isn't too expensive.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
With so many products out there, I have to imagine their licensing isn't too expensive.

Since the film is public domain, I don't suppose you need a license just to use images from the film. Special cards of the actors or crew might need permission from them or their estates.

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
With so many products out there, I have to imagine their licensing isn't too expensive.

Since the film is public domain, I don't suppose you need a license just to use images from the film. Special cards of the actors or crew might need permission from them or their estates.

This is a problem that Image Ten are constantly battling and part of the reason why they keep releasing so many trading cards and other collectible merchandise.

1--The film went into public domain by accident and caused everyone involved to lose a lot of money and control over how the film was presented. So they've spent quite a lot of time in court trying to regain the rights to their work.

2--I am not an expert but as I understand it, the best that they have done is to earn trademark over the likeness of the characters and story as well as a hard copyright on the logo, audio and still images that were not originally part of the film (a great example is that famous shot of Kyra Schon as Karen Cooper. It wasn't in the movie so it is not public domain but people mistakenly assume that it falls under the same lack of protection.)

3--In my opinion, it's unethical as a fan of a creative work to seek to repurpose it for ones own benefit. One-off fan art doesn't hurt anyone and is really just part of celebrating creative works we enjoy, but to do something such as producing a set of trading cards using images from an earlier public domain copy of the film and printing them en mass for profit would be highly unethical. Image Ten also goes after the people and businesses that do this sort of thing and apparently they do win often enough to make continuing to do so a reasonable use of time. Additionally, they are a good bunch. If someone does the right thing and seeks their permission, the product will get the support not only of Image Ten but of the fan base and it should be much more profitable than doing it the unethical way.

Again, I'm not an expert but this is what I understand, believe and relate to, also being an artist myself whose work has been stolen.