Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    How do Horror Cards Do?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do Horror Cards Do?
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That's a great question about using likenesses and it does seem to change, even when character/actor likenesses are approved within the license. Sometimes it seems as though the studio and/or the individual actor has the right to approve or reject any given sketch or photo used.

When sketches first went into Game of Thrones, RA only had landscapes, or buildings, or Dragons and Dragon eggs. In recent GoT products they have put in very detailed character sketches with the actor likeness. What changed?

In the revised Buffy, artists said numerous sketches were rejected and some subjects were off limits. Why they were rejected or who had to approve was not clear to me.

As far as sketches go, I hate generic depictions unless its for strictly a comic based character. If its a TV show or movie where that character has been portrayed, the only sketch I want is the one that looks like the actor in that role. Naturally those are generally the most sought after ones, but I don't like fruit bowls as art either. Big Grin

Although I have pulled a couple of GoT sketches, the only character pictured sketches I have are ones I either commissioned or picked up as ACEOs over the years. I have never pulled any licensed sketch that was an actor likeness, unless you want to count Aliens and Predators, which I don't.

Posts: 10352 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
When you think back to the Hollywood Walk of Fame set how on earth did they get all the likeness clearances for that or did they just not bother.

Posts: 28995 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Probably when a famous person becomes a part of the Walk of Fame, the agreement includes a provision that allows the likeness of the person to be used to promote the Walk of Fame.

Likewise, some movie contracts have clauses that state the actor's likeness can be used to promote the film. That way, Mark Hamill doens't individually approve every Star Wars product. The studio already has permission for his likeness to be included, and they do the approvals.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Although I have pulled a couple of GoT sketches, the only character pictured sketches I have are ones I either commissioned or picked up as ACEOs over the years. I have never pulled any licensed sketch that was an actor likeness, unless you want to count Aliens and Predators, which I don't.

I realize now that I misspoke about character portrayed sketches as I certainly did pull some, be it quite awhile ago.

I bought heavily into the Topps Indiana Jones movie cards and Lord of the Rings Masterpieces when they were first released. They were loaded with art as the hits, although it was primarily black and white ink or pencil sketches. A color sketch was special in there but, when you didn't pull a Monkey or an Ork, they had some nice character/actor portraits.

I wouldn't mind seeing a sketch product like that coming back, but I also think that I could pick up boxes for around $35 at the time. That is never coming back. Big Grin

Posts: 10352 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Gutted I didn't know the Day of the Dead cards were coming, until I remembered Fright Rags aren't shipping to the UK at present - so missing out on a sold out product is something of a moot point!
Day is easily my favourite of the original Romero trilogy and I would have loved to have bought a sealed box to have all the chase sets and a shot at an auto.

Ben - would you clarify the set composition please?
The Sealed Box contents list does not specify how many cards each subset actually consists of, so customers have to guess from the Factory Box contents list.

There are only 2 stickers in the factory box, but I assume a full sticker set is 9 cards as per some of your other releases?
Are the 11 Behind the Scenes, 11 Character cards, and 3 Memoriam cards in the Factory set, the full number of cards in each sub set?
Is the full checklist across 1 card or 2?

Sealed Box
- 2 full base sets
- 2 full sticker sets
- 2 full character sets
- 2 full behind the scenes sets
- 2 full memoriam cards sets
- 2 checklists
- 1 chase card (autograph card)
- 1 printing plate

Factory Box
- 58 movie cards
- 11 behind the scenes cards
- 11 character cards
- 3 memoriam cards
- 1 checklist
- 2 stickers

The only bad thing about these Fright Rags sets is how limited/popular they seem to be, and how little hit the secondary market.

After not having opened a box of cards in maybe 10 years, I bought a Halloween sealed box direct when they came out, and was very happy with the cards. I did not care for the sketch card that I pulled but it was great to have two full sets of all base and chase cards in a single box. Well designed, fun to open.

Still looking for the 3 autograph cards, but as above, they never seem to be for sale ANYWHERE!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can answer that yes that sticker set is 9 cards and yes that factory box does include the complete base set, 83 cards + the checklist. The checklist also mentions 6 parallel cards but they aren't listed on the website. So I don't know if they are included in the factory box and if so, how many? I think it's usually 2 of the 6 in the box set when they are included. But the base is all there.

And with regards to them not showing up on eBay, I think a lot of times the Fright-Rags cards are bought by horror fans who may not be card collectors normally, but are buying strictly for themselves because they think they're neat. They're buying to keep and not looking to resell (the majority of buyers anyway). That's refreshing in this hobby nowadays.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Gutted I didn't know the Day of the Dead cards were coming, until I remembered Fright Rags aren't shipping to the UK at present - so missing out on a sold out product is something of a moot point!
Day is easily my favourite of the original Romero trilogy and I would have loved to have bought a sealed box to have all the chase sets and a shot at an auto.

After not having opened a box of cards in maybe 10 years, I bought a Halloween sealed box direct when they came out, and was very happy with the cards. I did not care for the sketch card that I pulled but it was great to have two full sets of all base and chase cards in a single box. Well designed, fun to open.

Still looking for the 3 autograph cards, but as above, they never seem to be for sale ANYWHERE!

You might be able to trade your extra "Halloween" mini-master set for a "Day of the Dead" mini-master. That's the beauty of landing any Fright-Rags hobby box: you get a whole extra set of the base cards, alternate border cards, and stickers (plus the "hit" and the printing plate, of course).

It is unfortunate they seemed to have retired the foil base/alternate parallel set.

Posts: 3316 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
I can answer that yes that sticker set is 9 cards and yes that factory box does include the complete base set, 83 cards + the checklist. The checklist also mentions 6 parallel cards but they aren't listed on the website. So I don't know if they are included in the factory box and if so, how many? I think it's usually 2 of the 6 in the box set when they are included. But the base is all there.

And with regards to them not showing up on eBay, I think a lot of times the Fright-Rags cards are bought by horror fans who may not be card collectors normally, but are buying strictly for themselves because they think they're neat. They're buying to keep and not looking to resell (the majority of buyers anyway). That's refreshing in this hobby nowadays.

So the 3 memoriam cards = a full set of memoriam cards?

I'm all for non-card fans buying cards, expanding the market/hobby and all that, but I would REALLY like to buy the Halloween autos... just can't find any!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
So the 3 memoriam cards = a full set of memoriam cards?

I'm all for non-card fans buying cards, expanding the market/hobby and all that, but I would REALLY like to buy the Halloween autos... just can't find any!

The thing with Halloween is that it's without a doubt the most popular card set Fright-Rags has produced thus far. Even base sets are selling for $100+ now. So it's going to be tough sledding there with the autographs - especially with only 50-100 of each one made.

And yes only 3 Memoriam cards for Day of the Dead. Here's the checklist:

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the breakdown of the set:

BASE SET - 84 Cards
58 movie cards
11 behind the scenes cards
11 character cards
3 memoriam cards
1 checklist
STICKERS
9 puzzle piece stickers

The price on foil rose quite q bit over the past few years which is why we haven't done it in awhile. We may go back to some parallel cards though. Ultimately we want to strike a balance by providing something exclusive and special, but also allow fans a chance to get them. With the sealed cases, they will always be limited to some degree, especially when it comes to having autographs. However, we like to be able to offer the factory base sets as a way to collect the main cards without having to get individual packs or a more expensive sealed case. Plus, we are open to printing more of the factory sets when they sell out (depending on demand).

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

You might be able to trade your extra "Halloween" mini-master set for a "Day of the Dead" mini-master. That's the beauty of landing any Fright-Rags hobby box: you get a whole extra set of the base cards, alternate border cards, and stickers (plus the "hit" and the printing plate, of course).

It is unfortunate they seemed to have retired the foil base/alternate parallel set.

Posts: 36 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Gotta love that title for Day of the Dead card #43. The sets are still superb, even without the foils.

Ben, a popular type of chase card with some collectors has been the so-called "comic cut" card which takes notable panels from a printed comic book and mounts them onto a card with a decorative window frame surrounding the clipped art. As there is a popular comic adaptation of "Creepshow" with art by Bernie Wrightson, this may be something you can do for that set.

I'd greatly prefer autographs, and to a lesser degree, sketches, as the "hit" card in the colletor box, but comic cuts could be a less expensive alternative, if needed.

I'm fortunate to already have autograph cards from Stephen King and George Romero, as well as some of the cast, but I just want to have actual cards and stickers based on that movie, whatever it takes. "Creepshow" remains one my favorite movies. I'm hoping the puzzle on the back of the stickers will be the famous "Ghoul in the Box Office" one-sheet poster art.

Posts: 3316 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you so much!
I will look into the "comic cut" - that could be a lot of fun. I definitley want to make this a great set!

Posts: 36 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
When you think back to the Hollywood Walk of Fame set how on earth did they get all the likeness clearances for that or did they just not bother.

Off topic, but those Hollywood Walk of Fame cards were great for mail-in autograph seekers. Many of the celebrities in the set have unfortunately passed on now, but there was a period of time when older stars were still accessible and some nice autograph collections were compiled. Many of them certainly didn't object to signing those cards.

Now they weren't certified and you have to watch out for fakes, but many are perfectly authentic and cheap. Some were signed on the back, or signed in ball point pen or were inscribed or personalized. It's a matter of demand as younger folks don't even remember some of the stars, but they are worth buying as long as you are careful of the source and compare samples. I have seen long time autograph collectors with binders of signed Hall of Fame cards.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I assume since that set was released loads of people have been added to the walk of fame so maybe time for another set.

Posts: 28995 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
My son collected Dexter and Bates Motel (Drama/Horror) and there is a record shop in his college town has been getting the Fright Rags releases. He got a few packs of several releases. He really loves their wax packs they have been putting out.
I need to finish the almost complete Topps Fright Flicks set that I had that I gave him years ago.

Posts: 5775 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is so awesome - thanks so much!