Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    How do Horror Cards Do?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do Horror Cards Do?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted
I saw a Set advertised for Re-Animator that will be Crazy Limited... Like 75 Hobby Boxes...

Do you think there's a market for them

here's the info on them

Randomly inserted hand-sketched cards by some amazing artists and cards personally autographed by Barbara Crampton!

Collection and box details below:

------------------------

FULL COLLECTION INFO:
- 60 Base cards
- 9 Stickers
- 9 Behind the scenes chase cards
- 8 Character chase cards
- 6 Parallel cards

-------------

SEALED BOX
24 Wax Packs Including:
- 2 Full Base Sets
- 2 Full Sticker Sets
- 22 (of 23) Chase Cards
- 1 Sketch Card
- 1 Signature Card

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
At that level of production there is a market for almost anything. At anything higher I really doubt it. It does look a really nice set, hope it does well. Maybe it will start a new trend of micro releases by fans of old TV/movies.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
This would be great and i would love this set but i see a problem, you do not get all the chase cards in the box, you are one short, with such a small print run where will you get the missing card from, everyone who buys a box will be missing one card with no extras.

Posts: 28997 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
This would be great and i would love this set but i see a problem, you do not get all the chase cards in the box, you are one short, with such a small print run where will you get the missing card from, everyone who buys a box will be missing one card with no extras.

they offered 600 packs as well as a Factory set.

WAX PACKS - Limited to 600
- 6 Trading Cards
- 1 Sticker
- May contain a randomly inserted Sketch Cards and/or Signature Cards

FACTORY BOX — Limited to 200
- 60 Base Card Set
- 2 Chase Cards
- 2 Stickers
- ONE (1) Sketch card *OR* ONE (1) Signature card (randomly inserted)

Given the ratios at which the chase cards are randomly inserted among the packs, there is only a guarantee of the 22 of 23 to make it into a sealed box

Sketch Cards by
Nathan Milliner
Matthew Skiff
Christopher Franchi
Scarecrowoven
Dan Cuto
Brent Engstrom
Jeff Zornow
Matt Tobin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kryten67,

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If the pricing I see online is accurate ($5/pack - $67/factory box - $107/sealed box), then it seems a bit on the high side to me.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
If the pricing I see online is accurate ($5/pack - $67/factory box - $107/sealed box), then it seems a bit on the high side to me.

Thanks for adding the pricing, Logan. At that price, for that title, I would pass. I love horror cards - horror, halloween, etc. is a primary collecting focus for me. But yeah I'd pass at this price. "Rare" cards and sets mean nothing to me if the value/intetest isn't there. Maybe at $60 IF the sketchcards were decent.

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The problem I have with Re-Animator cards is that I'm not sure who would want them. Re-Animator was one of those awful 80's film based on Lovecraft that got cranked out by the likes of Gordan and Band. It got embraced by teenagers and young adults at the time because it was so tasteless and over the top it was funny. Yes, I saw it back then and it was a hoot. Big Grin

Today, its just a horrible movie that I wouldn't waste my time on. As for younger people now, few in later generations even know that much about these wacky Re-Animator and Puppet Master style films unless they are horror buffs seeking them out.

Would they be interested in the trading cards? I doubt it. Would card collectors be interested? Maybe, some buy limited product just to have something more unusual, but not at premium box prices. Just MHO.

Posts: 10355 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
They are listing this as the 1st set in a series of Horror Movie Sets.....

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
A Few More Samples

Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The problem I have with Re-Animator cards is that I'm not sure who would want them. Re-Animator was one of those awful 80's film based on Lovecraft that got cranked out by the likes of Gordan and Band. It got embraced by teenagers and young adults at the time because it was so tasteless and over the top it was funny. Yes, I saw it back then and it was a hoot. Big Grin

Today, its just a horrible movie that I wouldn't waste my time on. As for younger people now, few in later generations even know that much about these wacky Re-Animator and Puppet Master style films unless they are horror buffs seeking them out.

Would they be interested in the trading cards? I doubt it. Would card collectors be interested? Maybe, some buy limited product just to have something more unusual, but not at premium box prices. Just MHO.

These likely won't do that well with any kind of general release but Reanimator is something of a cult classic in the horror fan community and actually still has a rather large following. However, since horror cards are a niche within a niche hobby, they likely won't get much attention beyond this thread.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The problem I have with Re-Animator cards is that I'm not sure who would want them. Re-Animator was one of those awful 80's film

I want them. Bouncey

There were some awful films in the 80's but this was not one of them, it was great and still is. Thumb Up

Posts: 28997 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi everyone -

Thanks for posting about our cards here! My name is Ben Scrivens, owner of Fright-Rags, and I just wanted to jump in and explain a little more about our process and give a little more context about what we are trying to do with these cards. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I grew up collecting all sorts of different cards, I wasn't much of a sports kid, so GPK, Fright Flicks, and all the random cards for movies were my thing. Hell, I even had a brief period of collecting All My Children cards (it was one summer when I was hooked on the show), but I digress...

WHY HORROR CARDS?
Anyway, I hadn't been too much into collecting them in recent years, other than the older cards from my youth. Newer cards never did too much for me. Then I saw someone putting out their art cards as wax packs (I forget the name, but I found them in a shop in Austin, TX) and I had an epiphany - what if we could make those types of "retro" cards for movies that never had them? We had already been working with a number of studios to release officially licensed shirts and accessories, so this felt like a natural progression. We did the research and found out who could do it, and we worked on figuring out what movies we could work with and get the rights to.

As with anything in licensing, it costs a lot of money and can be a pain to work with when it comes to what we can legally do and get approvals on (which take a long time). It's a process... Starting with Re-Animator felt right because we had a great relationship with the licensor and there was less "red tape" to deal with. So while we were lining up other properties, we decided to start with Re-Animator. Plus, I love that film, so it was a passion project as well.

This being our first foray into the trading card business, there has been a learning curve in regards to how to package them, price points, etc. Manufacturing, paying for sketch cards, autographs, etc is not cheap and we are selling these in every big box store. These are smaller run, for hardcore fans, which does limit the reach and print run. That said, we also want these to be affordable.

WHERE WE WENT WRONG
While sales have been off to a great start, I did hear from people that they were upset that the sealed box did not contain all the chase cards. After talking with our manufacturer, we have been able to work out that the box will now contain ALL 23 chase cards, so it is truly a "master set" of everything available in the set. That means that one pack in the box will have 7 cards and a sticker instead of 6 cards and a sticker. We will also be rethinking our factory boxes for future editions to make sure the price and value are on par with each other. That said, each factory box is guaranteed either a sketch card or autograph card, so there, which is why it is priced that way.

FUTURE COLLECTIONS
That said, we are taking all of these opinions into consideration as we work on future sets. We have plans for John Carpenter's Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), Dawn of the Dead (1978), and quite a few more. Are these niche within a niche? Yup. But as a horror fan, and a fan of things from my childhood, they hit a nostalgic sweet spot, and we hope they do for others as well. We want to be able to provide fans of these films something of a throwback (hence the classic packaging and wax pack vibe) for things they wish they had as kids. We are going to be working on our "recipe" for future sets that will allow casual fans and hardcore collectors a chance at owning these without breaking the bank.

Thanks again for all the feedback so far, and keep it coming...I'll be reading Smile

Ben

Posts: 36 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Who said Forums don't Work?

Now a Box is a Master Set!

Very Cool.

posted Hide Post
Ben, I think I speak of all of us in saying that if this is the way you plan on dealing with issues, your company will be getting a lot of loyal customers on here! I feel the price on the Factory Sealed Box is more than fair. Good luck and look forward to my box.

Posts: 70 | Location: New York | Registered: September 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! Again, the feedback really helps us as we navigate the trading card world...cannot wait to do more!

Posts: 36 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Re-Animator was an instant classic upon release and holds up very well to this day. I hope this set does well and many more follow it.

I think a set showing the original package art of 1980's VHS horror videos (including Re-animator) would make a great set, if it's possible. Those have a sizable collector base today, and the art on those boxes was, in many cases, better than the movie it was commissioned for!

Posts: 3316 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ben, thanks for the update. I did visit your site and it looked like you had fixed the missing chase card issue, so thanks for confirming that.

I do think that the sketch cards shown look nice. Although Re-Animator isn't a title that I'm interested in, I AM interested in two of the three upcoming titles that you mentioned - John Carpenter's Halloween and 1978 Dawn of the Dead. Those are absolutely two of my favorites from that era!

Hopefully you can get some key players to sign for these sets. A no-brainer for Halloween would be Nick Castle. I know he does the horror cons so should be willing to sign. And it would be great to get John Carpenter's sig! I would definitely pay a premium box price for that!

Anyway, best of luck launching this set and I'll be looking out for your future releases.

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Debi! Yes, we are working on who we can get for cards (sketch and auto) for the other sets. It takes awhile, but we want to make sure we do something really cool!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcole:
Although Re-Animator isn't a title that I'm interested in, I AM interested in two of the three upcoming titles that you mentioned - John Carpenter's Halloween and 1978 Dawn of the Dead. Those are absolutely two of my favorites from that era!

I would second that, Dawn of the Dead in particular is one I would absolutely call a classic.

I love a good horror movie, but too often to my liking, horror has become synonymous with gore. Gore alone does not make a film a horror classic, unless that is all the audience is interested in seeing. If there wasn't an audience for it, Rob Zombie wouldn't still be making movies, although even he is getting progressively low rent with each new one. Wink

Dawn of the Dead has plenty of gore, but it also has characters you care about, a plot, a point of view and a reasonable level of acting. That's why it has held up so well over the years, even though it is dated and modern special effects have long surpassed the chicken guts and red goop from the zombie attack scenes. Wink

Night of the Living Dead is also a classic, but to me Dawn is one of the few sequels that you could say was better than the original film. It would be great to have a set for it after all these years. The Hills Have Eyes is another one that still works, if you are taking suggestions. Big Grin

Posts: 10355 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, we might be working on Night of the Living Dead as well Wink