Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Sports Images will no longer offer Non Sport Hobby Trading Cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sports Images will no longer offer Non Sport Hobby Trading Cards
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of TWS
posted
This is what I just got in an email from Sports Images. It's sad because they never cut your orders like GTS Distribution does!
"Sports Images has transitioned the Hobby Trading Card segment of their business to GTS Distribution. After 25 years in the Hobby Trading Card industry we have decided to focus our efforts on our retail, novelty, memorabilia and other aspects of our business. As these opportunities continue to expand, the demand for more resources, time and attention also increases and a choice was inevitable"

Posts: 2099 | Location: none | Registered: September 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
This may mean that as GTS has got more business, therefore more stock (I assume), there will be less order cutting.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
This may mean that as GTS has got more business, therefore more stock (I assume), there will be less order cutting.

Perhaps, but GTS also has one less competitor and collectors have one less source from which to order non-sport cards.

The closer you get to a monopoly the worst it gets for customers, who have to take whatever the only game in town wants to play. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
As a customer of both, I hate to see the competition cease. But honestly this only affects retailers as both are wholesale only distributors.

As for SI not cutting orders, I'm glad that's your experience Tom but it's not mine. If you take Cryptozoic products out of the picture, I've had more cuts from SI than GTS in recent memory. The CZE situation is unique unto itself really, not necessarily the fault of GTS.

As s bonus, those who were just SI customers can also buy CZE products as they'll be transferred to a GTS account.

There's still competition out there, but GTS is rapidly becoming the 900 pound gorilla in the room. As long as we don't get to the same point as comic shops are in, it's all good.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
As a customer of both, I hate to see the competition cease. But honestly this only affects retailers as both are wholesale only distributors.

There's still competition out there, but GTS is rapidly becoming the 900 pound gorilla in the room. As long as we don't get to the same point as comic shops are in, it's all good.

Ed

True, but it all trickles down. I don't know anything about buying wholesale, but I probably buy from a guy, who buys from a guy, who buys from a guy that gets it wholesale. Wink Same as everybody else.

The more the supply chain consolidates the easier it is to control distribution and fix prices. More competition always keeps thing a bit more honest to me.

But what do you mean by getting to the same point as comic shops? Are you talking about limited places from which to order comics, or do you mean the poor state of the comics market in general?

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
He is talking about Diamond Comics. During the 90's through a series of mergers, deals and other business events, Diamond emerged as the one and only comic book distributor for most of the world (not just the US). I owned a comic book shop and when I talk to current shop owners not much as changed, Diamond does what it wants to do and the shops have to deal with it.
Did not get half of your weekly orders of books? Diamond will tell you-sorry fill out this paperwork to get a credit.
Get invoiced and billed for 3 statues with a wholesale cost to you (the shop) of 500.00 that you did not order, your customer rep. from Diamonds notes that on none of your paperwork never ordered and you know you cannot sale? Diamond will tell you tough and if you do not pay for them, they will cut off selling you comic books which they know will kill your business.
Diamond knows they are the only distributor and they can get away with doing these kinds of things.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well OK then, that just proves what I've been talking about

A monopoly benefits the one business that has it, it does nothing for customers that have to use that business or go without. Whatever gets set at the wholesale level has to trinkle down through the layers of retail. Sure the manufacturers policies count too, but if GTS is becoming the biggest wholesale distributor with few competitors they will hold all the cards, so to speak. Big Grin

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem with comics is the "Big 2" have exclusive deals with Diamond. That's the ONLY way to get their comics. Much like GTS and Cryptozoic.

But, dealers still can buy direct from many of the manufacturers including Upper Deck, Topps, Rittenhouse, Breygent, Leaf, and Benchwarmer.

As long as that doesn't change, GTS will be held in check. Time will tell, but I don't think GTS will have a Diamond Style monopoly any time soon.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of TWS
posted Hide Post
Just want to past on this email I just got from Sports Images... Just info for everyone so don't shoot the messenger.. Never had Diamond cut my orders back so much as GTS or eliminate them completely like GTS did..

I want to personally thank Blake, Matt D, Matt W, John and Mike for wonderful years as Sports Images employees. They will begin their new job with GTS today, Monday June 23, 2014.

Sports Images will move forward with ALL items except hobby trading cards. This means you can still get a full line of supplies, memorabilia, helmets, baseballs, retail trading cards, figures, games, glassware, blankets and more from Sports Images.
You will get a new Sports Images sales rep this week but please reach out to me with any immediate needs.

Posts: 2099 | Location: none | Registered: September 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank goodness for topps and Rittenhouse etc because if we were only left with Cripplezoic and GTSugh I would close my business as buying their junk that does not hold value is not worth the cost of WD

Posts: 198 | Location: United States | Registered: December 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post