Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this thing on?
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted
Seems super quiet on here (and some other forums as well) lately.

Are we going through another shift in the hobby or is everyone just on spring break?

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
I personally prefer Message Boards (and collaboration), but a lot of people have moved on to Social Media to "build their brand."

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
There is certainly a lot less people posting on the forums these days, perhaps they have run out of things to say.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Just been busy Frown

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by make-mine-marvel:
I personally prefer Message Boards (and collaboration), but a lot of people have moved on to Social Media to "build their brand."

Lots of conversation has moved to Facebook, but in the last couple of years there was a noticeable uptick in traffic on Card Talk and similar forums.

In the last 2 months or so it seems traffic has significantly slowed.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Maybe some fatigue going on. Hard to get excited for a lot of new sets when many are overpriced and under deliver. I used to buy every new Star Wars set, now I could care less.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I heard a lot of people left Facebook in the past couple of years but have also heard that some people still like to do their hobby stuff on Facebook. Do they think it's like being in a more exclusive club? I haven't thought of myself as "building a brand." I just like to talk about cards.

In recent weeks it's been unusally rainy and windy (did you see the video of the couch that flew off a balcony in San Francisco?) so the internet was down for a day two weeks ago and there has been a lot more yard clean-up and I'm getting over a weird cold/allergy thing now so it has delayed me from scanning some cards.

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Originally posted by make-mine-marvel:

Lots of conversation has moved to Facebook, but in the last couple of years there was a noticeable uptick in traffic on Card Talk and similar forums.

In the last 2 months or so it seems traffic has significantly slowed.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
Maybe some fatigue going on. Hard to get excited for a lot of new sets when many are overpriced and under deliver.

Agreed

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
At some point this garbage economy is going to start hitting between needs and wants. Plus we are back at stupid high prices for new product that immediately loses its value. I have been more than happy to let others do that for me. Cool

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
I haven't been on as much because I've got what I call "Internet burnout". I'm just tired of social media (and all the BS that comes with it, it seems that when people are behind their keyboards they forget all sense of manners and that the other person is an actual person and to treat them with respect and dignity). So, sometimes I just refrain from engaging with others because I just don't feel like fighting with them or defending my opinions.

I have not collected anything in a very long time. I've been collecting (just a little) signed photos from private signings and such (and from conventions I'm going to). Other than that, nothing. I am still interested in trading cards and would love to collect. But there just isn't anything out there that I am interested in. There are really no products being made that I want. It is all so repetitive (meaning it is pretty much all the same properties that are being produced set after set after set).

Another thing is the Sports Card collectors. (I know this is a really unpopular opinion and is pretty much me gatekeeping, I know this and am not proud of that) They have taken over the nonsport hobby. All they care about is the value, they don't even care about what they are collecting (i.e. not fans of the property, just collecting it because it is popular and they see $$$). The grading of cards (UGH, I just don't get that), the "rookie" card term (that term irritates me to no end when it is referring to a NS card, I mean, isn't "rookie" a sports term? Why would you use it for a movie card?). The manufacturers have started to cater to them pretty much exclusively. They have modeled their releases after the sports card releases with their impossible quantities and idiotic and laughable "variants". Rittenhouse is a great example of that. I hate how their releases are now. They are terrible. If they continue to have releases like they are doing them now, I do not see myself buying any of their products ever again, even if it is Xena (gasp!).

Also, and most importantly, I've been priced out of the hobby. I cannot justify spending so much money on 1 box for the gamble that I might get the card that is 1 of only 50 (which is usually the only good card in the whole release). No, the gamble is just dumb nowadays. I have a mortgage to pay LOL!! Just can't justify spending anything on cards nowadays. It has left a horrible taste in my mouth.

So, yeah, I haven't been on for a multitude of reasons. I've been lurking, but not actively participating since I feel like I will just be pretty much complaining about the state of the hobby. I don't want to be too much of a debby downer. :-)

Posts: 1950 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jessica:
Another thing is the Sports Card collectors. (I know this is a really unpopular opinion and is pretty much me gatekeeping, I know this and am not proud of that) They have taken over the nonsport hobby. All they care about is the value, they don't even care about what they are collecting

I totally agree about the sports card speculators, and I don't think it is an unpopular opinion.

Looking at the Kakawow Disney set this couldn't be more clear. $7,100 for a Buzz Lightyear foil signature card? Seriously? eBay item: 144996784907. (Upon further review it seems that particular auction may not be legitimate, but other Buzz foil signatures are selling for hundreds of dollars, which is still insane)

No entertainment card collector is buying that.

All these people have done is harm the entertainment card hobby. Kudos to any dealer who was able to cash in on old dead stock during the boom, but I hope these speculators are gone soon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webjon,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I wasn't going to post in this thread because I feel like I do what I can to keep Card Talk active, but Jessica's post deserves a response.

Jessica, you are not alone. Everything you said rings true with non-sport card collectors to some degree. Even if they don't totally agree with all your conclusions, they can understand them. Don't worry about trolls. Unprovoked attacks only shame the attacker. Say whatever you want about your collecting experiences and voice your opinions, it's all valid.

Every time I come on Card Talk, there are 1 - 3 members and 50 - 70 guests. Somestimes more than 100 guests. Every time. They must all be looking to read something. They must all be interested in non-sport cards, whether they are active or barely active in the hobby. If every one of those people added just one post, the threads would be flooded and there would be lots of new content. There must be writers to have readers.

I agree, there is a big slump and letdown in new card titles and it has turned off the base of this hobby. The cards cost way too much, but mykdude is correct. All but a few top hits in every new set drop quickly. And there is so much already out there now, collectors can look to the past to build better collections. I know I have been filling in old gaps and been quite happy doing it.

It's not easy to drop that collector mentality. So remember that if you get disgusted with your 20 year card collection, you will probably start buying glass frogs or antique candle sticks, and what do you need with more junk. Big Grin Enjoy the hobby on your own terms and help people out if you have some advice. Positive or negative, post what you think from your experience and chances are you are not the only one thinking it. Smile

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
It's not easy to drop that collector mentality. So remember that if you get disgusted with your 20 year card collection, you will probably start buying glass frogs or antique candle sticks, and what do you need with more junk. Big Grin Enjoy the hobby on your own terms and help people out if you have some advice. Positive or negative, post what you think from your experience and chances are you are not the only one thinking it. Smile
You are so right Smile I have been a collector/borderline hoarder for my entire life (my friends and relatives would question the 'borderline' part Big Grin ). I have always been collecting something be it stamps, coins, comics, books, TV and film memorabilia and even Myth and Magic figures at one time. My fascination with the works of Ray Harryhausen is what started me colecting trading cards courtesy of the old Strictly Ink set that never really happened outside the sketch cards.

I don't post on here too often these days with regard to card related matters as the only time I take any interest in them is when the Pernas have a new set. I haven't bought any other releases for years. However, if I need cheering up all I have to do is flick through the folders containing my various sketch cards and I soon have a smile on my face. Another optiion is skimming through this forum to see if wolfie has posted anything Smile

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jessica:
Another thing is the Sports Card collectors. (I know this is a really unpopular opinion and is pretty much me gatekeeping, I know this and am not proud of that) They have taken over the nonsport hobby. All they care about is the value, they don't even care about what they are collecting

I totally agree about the sports card speculators, and I don't think it is an unpopular opinion.

Looking at the Kakawow Disney set this couldn't be more clear. $7,100 for a Buzz Lightyear foil signature card? Seriously? eBay item: 144996784907. (Upon further review it seems that particular auction may not be legitimate, but other Buzz foil signatures are selling for hundreds of dollars, which is still insane)

No entertainment card collector is buying that.

All these people have done is harm the entertainment card hobby. Kudos to any dealer who was able to cash in on old dead stock during the boom, but I hope these speculators are gone soon.

I think we all know most of the non sports sellers on ebay by now. I am particularly seeing sports card sellers buy quite a few cases, especially the last few Game of Thrones sets. Not really great for the hobby. That being said, I do a lot of mostly sports cards shows(that’s all there is around here)in central and northern NJ.I am usually the only NS dealer there, if you don’t count the Pokemon dealers. People are amazed that entertainment cards are even made. Convincing them to buy a $50 card can be challenging though. Especially when they’ll turn around and buy some baseball player’s autograph card for $5k cash. I just don’t get it. But, that being said the sports card market has definitely crashed. I see myself doing a lot better than some of the sports card dealers at these shows. Folks want to come and by $2 and $3 cards only. I guess I’ll find out at the Philly show in May how healthy the NS card market is.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems super quiet on here (and some other forums as well) lately.

Are we going through another shift in the hobby or is everyone just on spring break?

Every good show that would be card license worthy is streaming now, so we don’t really know how many people are actually watching, much less be interested in a card set. Really the only exception is The Last Of Us, and I really hope Rittenhouse can get the license for that set. There are a lot of good sci fi series out there that just don’t have the viewership to sustain a card license. One example is FROM, which is on MGM+ - top notch creepy series, but not enough people watch it to justify cards. Another - Yellowjackets. Again, don’t know if the viewership is there to sustain a card license.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Right, if nothing else, another opinion gives the rest of us something to reply to. It's tough to come up with a thread idea that hasn't already been posted especially if the intent is to start an extended conversation rather than be a 1-2 post string.

I started buying more stuff at the beginning of the year - not lots but more than the 1-2 cards per month I've been buying over the past couple of years. Like you, I'm filling gaps, picking up stuff I sold years ago and acquiring oddball promos I didn't have before.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Jessica, you are not alone. Everything you said rings true with non-sport card collectors to some degree. Even if they don't totally agree with all your conclusions, they can understand them. Don't worry about trolls. Unprovoked attacks only shame the attacker. Say whatever you want about your collecting experiences and voice your opinions, it's all valid.

Every time I come on Card Talk, there are 1 - 3 members and 50 - 70 guests. Somestimes more than 100 guests. Every time. They must all be looking to read something. They must all be interested in non-sport cards, whether they are active or barely active in the hobby. If every one of those people added just one post, the threads would be flooded and there would be lots of new content. There must be writers to have readers.

I agree, there is a big slump and letdown in new card titles and it has turned off the base of this hobby. The cards cost way too much, but mykdude is correct. All but a few top hits in every new set drop quickly. And there is so much already out there now, collectors can look to the past to build better collections. I know I have been filling in old gaps and been quite happy doing it. Smile

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:

Every good show that would be card license worthy is streaming now, so we don’t really know how many people are actually watching, much less be interested in a card set.

True, and in general licensing has been very hard. There are only so many collectors out there -- so even products that start out super strong like Walking Dead end up fizzling out over time.

Rick and Morty is a great example of that -- the first release was bonkers, but it was done by the 3rd set.

Orphan Black -- amazing show, well done set (at least from an autograph perspective), and it basically flopped.

I'd like to see manufacturers produce more wide reaching sets -- think something like an updated version of TV's Coolest Classics with multiple shows represented under one set. . . And honestly even if they couldn't get a license I would buy more 'Americana' or 'Pop Century' style cards if they were done well.

I'd LOVE to see RA take a stab at a set like that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I'm filling gaps, picking up stuff I sold years ago and acquiring oddball promos I didn't have before.

The start of the boom was great -- lots of cards were popping up for sale that I don't see often. That has totally dried up for the cards I'm hunting for.

Also, before the pandemic I started chasing Harry Potter cards. Unfortunately some influencers decided they were the next big thing so they really screwed up pricing on Harry Potter stuff. It is starting to come back to normal, but very slowly.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:
Every good show that would be card license worthy is streaming now, so we don’t really know how many people are actually watching, much less be interested in a card set.

I would imagine with streaming they know EXACTLY how many people are watching? I don't know if they share those numbers, though. But it's probably pretty easy to see which shows are getting viewers based on season renewals. That doesn't help card companies know what's working, though, until a show is well into its run.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I'm filling gaps, picking up stuff I sold years ago and acquiring oddball promos I didn't have before.

The start of the boom was great -- lots of cards were popping up for sale that I don't see often. That has totally dried up for the cards I'm hunting for.

Also, before the pandemic I started chasing Harry Potter cards. Unfortunately some influencers decided they were the next big thing so they really screwed up pricing on Harry Potter stuff. It is starting to come back to normal, but very slowly.

That’s why I stick to Star Trek - too nerdy for the Tik Tockers