Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this thing on?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:
But, that being said the sports card market has definitely crashed.

I heard about the sports card market crashing. I guarantee that is/will be happening to the non sports market eventually if the manufacturers keep up with the pricing and quality/quantities of hits in their products.

Also, the manufacturers need some variety in the properties. I remember when there was always about 10 different really good properties out there at any given time (maybe not that many, but you know what I mean), some of them really small properties as well, and a lot of the actors really made it big. (Inkworks Alias S1 set Bradley Cooper anyone?). Speaking of Inkworks, I miss them. Well, not the last 2 years of them with the sticker autos etc. But I really liked them. The good ole years...

Posts: 1951 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Orphan Black -- amazing show, well done set (at least from an autograph perspective), and it basically flopped.

I freaking LOVED that set, what an amazing show!!!! I think the problem was that a lot of people hadn't heard of Orphan Black at that point (to this day a lot of people haven't heard of it, unfortunately) which caused the flop. But, yea an awesome set. What set has so many multiple autos of the main characters/main actress? It was awesome.

BTW, I am still looking for a Tatiana Maslany Krystal auto card, so if you have it... Let me know!!!!!

Posts: 1951 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jessica:
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Orphan Black -- amazing show, well done set (at least from an autograph perspective), and it basically flopped.

I freaking LOVED that set, what an amazing show!!!! I think the problem was that a lot of people hadn't heard of Orphan Black at that point (to this day a lot of people haven't heard of it, unfortunately) which caused the flop. But, yea an awesome set. What set has so many multiple autos of the main characters/main actress? It was awesome.

BTW, I am still looking for a Tatiana Maslany Krystal auto card, so if you have it... Let me know!!!!!

LOL, I’m looking for an Allison and Ksenia Solo.

Agreed, amazing set that flew under the radar, which is what would happen with all of these great shows on smaller streaming platforms. SEVERANCE on Apple+ would be a great show for a card set, but I doubt even though it’s Apple’s 2nd top-rated show that the cards would take off. I can’t even imagine a card exec having to deal with Apple, the nightmare that would be. I’m sure a lot of people would love to see a Ted Lasso set, but, again, Apple.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can’t even imagine a card exec having to deal with Apple, the nightmare that would be. I’m sure a lot of people would love to see a Ted Lasso set, but, again, Apple.

I'm reminded of a card manufacturer telling me about a license they were working on just not understanding how cards worked, and all the talks died with that.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I used to love opening boxes and packs, but the last few boxes I opened, GoT, Doctor Who, Star Trek, Picard etc left a nasty ripped off taste in the mouth. If you've been in the hobby years you know not to expect the really big hits, that's just icing on the cake if you ever get one, and years back a lot of titles didn't even have a guaranteed autograph in the box, but they were fun to open and it didn't feel like a kick in the gut at all. But now, box prices are not justifiable...not to the small time buyer, anyway.
I have bought cases in the past too, but no way would I buy one again...I'd probably need a mortgage to buy one at the current prices!

I've had a long hard look at my collections lately and finally stopped thinking about it and actually had a mass clear out. I've got rid of lots of binders, storage boxes with base sets and chase sets etc and intend to have a more 'quality over quantity' approach. I've easily halved my collection and it's felt really good, and I have no regrets. It's not so much a mid life crisis as just evaluating what I really need and what does or doesn't need to be on my shelf. I don't see me adding anything to my card collection from new titles except the odd autograph card in future.

I'll always be a card collector, but I'm being much MUCH more selective. I do pick up the occasional older titles autograph cards when I see them, and I've found it more fun to go back to older sets(and cheaper. Big Grin )

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
I used to love opening boxes and packs, but the last few boxes I opened, GoT, Doctor Who, Star Trek, Picard etc left a nasty ripped off taste in the mouth. If you've been in the hobby years you know not to expect the really big hits, that's just icing on the cake if you ever get one, and years back a lot of titles didn't even have a guaranteed autograph in the box, but they were fun to open and it didn't feel like a kick in the gut at all. But now, box prices are not justifiable...not to the small time buyer, anyway.
I have bought cases in the past too, but no way would I buy one again...I'd probably need a mortgage to buy one at the current prices!

I've had a long hard look at my collections lately and finally stopped thinking about it and actually had a mass clear out. I've got rid of lots of binders, storage boxes with base sets and chase sets etc and intend to have a more 'quality over quantity' approach. I've easily halved my collection and it's felt really good, and I have no regrets. It's not so much a mid life crisis as just evaluating what I really need and what does or doesn't need to be on my shelf. I don't see me adding anything to my card collection from new titles except the odd autograph card in future.

I'll always be a card collector, but I'm being much MUCH more selective. I do pick up the occasional older titles autograph cards when I see them, and I've found it more fun to go back to older sets(and cheaper. Big Grin )

Exactly how I feel and what I am doing!!

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOL, I’m looking for an Allison and Ksenia Solo.

Agreed, amazing set that flew under the radar, which is what would happen with all of these great shows on smaller streaming platforms. SEVERANCE on Apple+ would be a great show for a card set, but I doubt even though it’s Apple’s 2nd top-rated show that the cards would take off. I can’t even imagine a card exec having to deal with Apple, the nightmare that would be. I’m sure a lot of people would love to see a Ted Lasso set, but, again, Apple.

I actually was able to get a Ksenia for a good price when it first was out. I was sooo happy (Loved Lost Girl, I also met her at Dragon Con one year, such a sweetheart!!! The whole cast was there and were all amazing except what's his name - the main guy, my memory is horrible! Shows how much I paid attention to him LOL!!!!). I still have a lot of the clones to get from the set, but Krystal is top on my list, I freaking loved that character so much!!!! God, what a good show. I need to rewatch.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been in Las Vegas for two weeks Smile .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Have you looked for cards or did you lose most of your money in the airport?

quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Honestly, it does make me sad sometimes to see how quiet it is on here compared to what it used to be. I joined in 2005 and the traffic was completely different. But at least card talk is still here where other card forums have fallen away.

There seems to be a lot more activity on social media groups which makes sense these days. Sadly, comments on those platforms often lack substance, I think because collector's interest in the hobby seems more fickle and trend based, and is polluted by speculators and sports card collectors trying to bastardize everything. "Rookie card" anyone? YAWN.

Entertaining from a far I guess, but harder to interact with. It would be nice to see more comments on here, especially seeing as there do always seem to be a fair few guests.

New card releases are broader in scope and more expensive than ever which has to limit conversation if people feel pushed out. I'm certainly buying less but have not given up!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

quote:

Sadly there are no card shops that I know of anymore within easy reach of the Strip Frown . I remember when I first went in the 90's you had Smokey's Baseball card shop on the Strip which had a load of non sport , a great comic shop on Decatur which always had singles and unopened boxes , and baseball card shops on Paradise and Tropicana reasonably close to the Strip that often had non sport singles at cheap prices .

I only gamble $10 here or there for fun , it's the beer and weather that attracts me these days . Strange how things change , 30 years ago there was one decent brewery in Las Vegas ( Holy Cow on Sahara ) , now there is an entire Brewery Row on S Main by The Strat that has six within less than a mile !

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

quote:

Sadly there are no card shops that I know of anymore within easy reach of the Strip Frown . I remember when I first went in the 90's you had Smokey's Baseball card shop on the Strip which had a load of non sport , a great comic shop on Decatur which always had singles and unopened boxes , and baseball card shops on Paradise and Tropicana reasonably close to the Strip that often had non sport singles at cheap prices .

I only gamble $10 here or there for fun , it's the beer and weather that attracts me these days . Strange how things change , 30 years ago there was one decent brewery in Las Vegas ( Holy Cow on Sahara ) , now there is an entire Brewery Row on S Main by The Strat that has six within less than a mile !

Perhaps we should have a UK Card Talk meeting in LA next year - Talk about cards with sunshine and Beer

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post