Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What set would YOU release?
Page 1 ... 30 31 32 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What set would YOU release?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archifou:
I would love to have a Robocop set from the original movie.

Doesn't the Topps set include scenes from the first movie?

Posts: 2212 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Went to a con this weekend and commissioned artist Tim Smith for a first appearance Howard the Duck AP card. Got to thinking how cool a set based on Marvel or DC first appearances would be? Set cards would have actual first appearance images with sketch cards by modern artist giving their version of it.

Congrats on getting a sketch card of Howard both smoking AND in a blue suit - both no-no's on our guidelines.

Posts: 1571 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can understand why smoking might be frowned on, but what's the problem with the blue suit? It's canon.

Posts: 2212 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I think the logic on the blue suit is that another Duck wears blue, and they steer clear of any comparison.

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5081 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
I think the logic on the blue suit is that another Duck wears blue, and they steer clear of any comparison.

If Marvel is worried that their readers will confuse Donald and Howard, they must think their readers are dumb as a bag of hammers.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

That's exactly it.

I believe there was a lawsuit between Marvel and Disney at some point over this, but now that they're the same entity who knows?

Posts: 1571 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by archifou:
I would love to have a Robocop set from the original movie.

Doesn't the Topps set include scenes from the first movie?

Yeah, and a couple of them are pretty gruesome, but the movie remains a classic and could benefit from a full set dedicated to it.
(Robocop 3, not so much.)

I've always wondered if Robocop 2 was the first R-rated movie card set to get a nationwide retail release. Can anyone think of any earlier that did?

I'm not sure if it got nationwide distribution, but there was Saturday Night Fever set from Donruss way back in 1977. I remember that movie was re-released in a PG version so younger viewers (including me at that time) could see it, so technically it was also a PG movie. Certainly none of the R-rated elements made it on to the SNF cards, which was not the case with with Robocop (part 1) cards that were found in the Robocop 2 set. A couple were pretty gruesome.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think Saturday Night Fever was first. Then Alien (1979), Rocky Horror Picture Show (1980), Rambo First Blood Part 2 (1985), Total Recall (1990), RoboCop 2 (1990), Terminator 2 (1991), Nightmare on Elm Street (1991). Alien 3 (1992), Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992), Hellraiser (1992), Jason Goes to Hell (1993), Demolition Man (1993).

There were low-distribution sets for Night of the Living Dead (Unrated, but would be R or even X) in the 1980s.

Fright Flicks (1988) included shots from several R-rated movies.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ah, excellent, thanks! I'd forgotten "Alien" completely. They merchandized the heck out of that one, despite the R-rating. I even remember a jigsaw puzzle that came in a plastic Alien egg.

The original FTCC "Rocky Horror" set probably doesn't hit the nationwide sales aspect (unlike the Comic Images one from the 90s which was widely available), and I think the "Total Recall" and "Nightmare on Elm Street" were factory sets only, right?

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
TCDB shows wax packs for Total Recall.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think that was a "test pack" only deal for "Total Recall", as with the Star Pics "Twin Peaks" set. If there would've been a box of packs to buy from that movie, I'd definitely have bought one. As it is, the factory set for it was amazing with the extras like the little Mars rock and Martian money.

In addition to the "Total Recall" set, and the cards from the original "Robocop" movie in the "Robocop 2" set, there was also a set from Inkworks for "Starship Troopers". That means the director of those movies, Paul Verhoeven, already had three card sets featuring his R-rated movies as of 25 years ago. I'm thinking the only director to have him beat in that regard to this day is George Romero now that there's been sets for his entire "Living Dead" trilogy and "Creepshow".

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:

Congrats on getting a sketch card of Howard both smoking AND in a blue suit - both no-no's on our guidelines.

Haha yeah Tim and I were discussing "the rules" which is why I have those things in mind when asking for a commission. Another artist told me that several of them agreed to submit Howard for a GotG2 set as a last submission and most of them were rejected.

When it comes to Howard I am very surprised at just how few cards there are of him out there. I think he is the only character I collect as the character. Obviously a set based on first appearances would need some flexibility.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post