Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    How are the Umbrella cards?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are the Umbrella cards?
 Login/Join

Picture of Nicole_oncer
posted
How is the quality of The Umbrella Academy autograph cards? Are the cards printed as dark as it looks like?

I tried to bid on them on Ebay but I keep losing. (buying from EU I can't go as far as US bidders because of tax, high shipping etc.) I do notice however that the cards look very dark. Could be just bad scans. I just wonder before I spend my good money on them. So I hope someone can tell me. For example I hate the dark print qualty of the first season from American Horror Story. Some of them are so dark that I took them out of my binder.

Posts: 29 | Location: The Netherlands  | Registered: March 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
The images are really crisp. They are not dark where you cannot see them. The card stock seems to be slightly thicker then the last few Rittenhouse sets I have picked up. It is a nice product.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nicole_oncer:

I tried to bid on them on Ebay but I keep losing. (buying from EU I can't go as far as US bidders because of tax, high shipping etc.)

Try ebay.co.uk and select UK only, there are a couple of UK sellers that have a few cards.
Depends on what you're looking for obviously - chase cards, base cards, autographs, relics or sketches.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Still waiting on mail to get a look at them but it seems to me to be a pretty strong release. Especially with how good season 2 is so far. Wink

If you are looking for other signature cards at a possible cheaper price I picked up the following right after season 1

Robert Sheehan - Mortal Instruments
Tom Hopper - Game of Thrones
Adam Godly - X-files
Colm Feore - Chronicles of Riddick, Battlestar Galactica and Thor Movie

Last check on ebay the Sheehan does seem to be drying up. He is a complete stand out character in season 2.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nicole_oncer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
The images are really crisp. They are not dark where you cannot see them. The card stock seems to be slightly thicker then the last few Rittenhouse sets I have picked up. It is a nice product.

That's good to know. Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
quote:

I tried to bid on them on Ebay but I keep losing. (buying from EU I can't go as far as US bidders because of tax, high shipping etc.)

Try ebay.co.uk and select UK only, there are a couple of UK sellers that have a few cards.
Depends on what you're looking for obviously - chase cards, base cards, autographs, relics or sketches.

Yeah I'm thinking of buying there indeed. Think there's 1 UK seller but not too many choices so far. Hope more UK/EU sellers will follow witin a few weeks.

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Still waiting on mail to get a look at them but it seems to me to be a pretty strong release. Especially with how good season 2 is so far. Wink

If you are looking for other signature cards at a possible cheaper price I picked up the following right after season 1

Adam Godly - X-files

Last check on ebay the Sheehan does seem to be drying up. He is a complete stand out character in season 2.

I know right! Season 2 is amazing! Still need to see the last 2 episodes but it has been great so far! As for collecting cards from other subjects I don't know I really want it to be Umbrella. I met Tom Hopper in the past at a convention. But I really wish I could meet him again to let him sign a Umbrella photo.

Posts: 29 | Location: The Netherlands  | Registered: March 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The autograph design and photos seem very nice for this product. I think the biggest complaint would be that very few of the signers bothered to provide a legible signature, but that's not RA's fault. It does however make it harder for collectors to justify paying a high price for an unattractive autograph.

On the plus side Ellen Page has a very readable signature, but on the minus side she also has probably the worst photo in the bunch.Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The autograph design and photos seem very nice for this product. I think the biggest complaint would be that very few of the signers bothered to provide a legible signature, but that's not RA's fault. It does however make it harder for collectors to justify paying a high price for an unattractive autograph.

On the plus side Ellen Page has a very readable signature, but on the minus side she also has probably the worst photo in the bunch.Big Grin

I think I am ok with most of the sigs but I will admit that the Aidan autograph makes my eye twitch a little. If this is Sheehan's basic signature now it will be interesting to see what the Mortal Instruments card will do over time. The difference is almost as harsh as the Zoe Saldana cards.

Not crazy about that Ellen pic at all! Looks more like it fell out of an Addams Family card set. I have done some searches on her signature and these seem to be the rare side of what is usually out there.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Adam Godly - X-files

I know right! Season 2 is amazing! Still need to see the last 2 episodes but it has been great so far! As for collecting cards from other subjects I don't know I really want it to be Umbrella. I met Tom Hopper in the past at a convention. But I really wish I could meet him again to let him sign a Umbrella photo.

True, but in case some don't sign for the set you have a couple of options. Still very curious as to why Hopper signed for GoT and not UA. I went out a picked up another GoT card from him because he wasn't in UA and they are still pretty cheap. Wink

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I am ok with most of the sigs but I will admit that the Aidan autograph makes my eye twitch a little. If this is Sheehan's basic signature now it will be interesting to see what the Mortal Instruments card will do over time. The difference is almost as harsh as the Zoe Saldana cards.

Not crazy about that Ellen pic at all! Looks more like it fell out of an Addams Family card set. I have done some searches on her signature and these seem to be the rare side of what is usually out there.

Big Grin I had originally posted another line about how I thought Ellen Page looked liked she came back from the dead in that photo, but that it was probably her normal expression. I deleted it because it seemed kind of harsh, but actually going by her performances that I've seen, it's also true. Wink

As for the Mortal Instrument autographs, I'm sure I have said this before, the card set was awesome. Some very good signers, with nicely done autographs on well made cards, that also include relics and signed relics. I went after it for the Headey and Rhys Meyers autos early. Now Sheehan's hot and should have increased demand.

The film Mortal Instruments, City of Bones didn't do very well because it was very similar in plot to a slew of these young adult fantasy stories that were just getting churned out at the time and are still being published. It was supposed to be the first in the franchise with City of Ashes to follow, but the second one was scraped when Mortal Instruments became a major flop and lost millions.

The film's disaster obviously effected the demand for the cards, which to my mind are extremely undervalued given what was in the set and the signatures. Hopefully the new interest in Sheehan will get card collectors to take a second or even first look at the Leaf set.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I think the Page image is pretty cool. It is an image from a pinnacle moment in the series (trying not to spoil it-even if it is a year old).

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

The film's disaster obviously effected the demand for the cards, which to my mind are extremely undervalued given what was in the set and the signatures. Hopefully the new interest in Sheehan will get card collectors to take a second or even first look at the Leaf set.

Yeah, I picked up a case of Vampire Academy for $299 because of the same reason. Several of those young actors have moved on to a solid career.

quote:
Originally posted by Barobehere:

I think the Page image is pretty cool. It is an image from a pinnacle moment in the series (trying not to spoil it-even if it is a year old).

When you compare her card to the others it stands out in contrast. Sort of like that Sesame Street song "One of these things is not like the other" Given her character that is a nice fit.

As a collector knowing she is the most popular autograph card in the set and this is her first time signing I am more like, "Couldn't we find a nicer picture?" Wink