Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Star Wars Card Trader app
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Card Trader app
 Login/Join

Picture of Thush
posted
Wondering if anyone was using the Star Wars Card Trader app?

Android: https://play.google.com/store/...topps.force&hl=en-GB
Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/ap...der/id946777364?mt=8

It's a virtual card collecting app. You get a certain number of (Imperial?) credits per day with additional bonuses if you log in regularly. You can buy more credits if you want to, but you don't need to.

The cards cover all six films primarily and other media like the TV shows and games. There are various parallels you can collect and special bonus cards and inserts.

There are challenges to collect mini-sets of related cards which, again, give you more credits.

Best of all, there is a trading facility, so you can trade with random people (one card at a time) or with friends (more than one card per trade).

I'm "STILE" on there if anyone wants to add me or make a trade.

Posts: 385 | Location: London, UK | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
There has been some discussion of this in News and Rumors, "Star Wars: Card Trader".

I have not taken the dive myself.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
I know for sure that I will not be doing this.

Some of my reasoning...
1} I like physical/tangible assets.
1a} I like the feel of cardboard.
2} {my wife will contest to this} I waste too much time on the above mentioned "cardboard," as it is.
Wink Wink
Peace.

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Thush
posted Hide Post
Ahh. And I did a search and everything!

Posts: 385 | Location: London, UK | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
I know for sure that I will not be doing this.

Some of my reasoning...
1} I like physical/tangible assets.
1a} I like the feel of cardboard.
2} {my wife will contest to this} I waste too much time on the above mentioned "cardboard," as it is.
Wink Wink
Peace.

I think you covered it. Ditto.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thush:
Ahh. And I did a search and everything!

Hi Thush:

Here is the other thread (I think the one RedFive was referring to), just in case you didn't see it on the second search:

Star Wars: Card Trader

While no one in this thread seems to be into it, you'll find a couple of members in the other thread who are enjoying the app.

Best of luck.

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Thush
posted Hide Post
Thanks Harris.

It was much further down the list than expected. Smile

Picture of andynova
posted Hide Post
There is also an article about this app in the latest issue of Non-Sport Update (Jun-Jul 2015).

I installed this on my iPad in mid-March when it was released and it's been fun. I haven't spent any money on credits and I never will. I find the insertion rates of the special cards to be too rare to get most of the time. The designs on most of them are fantastic, and I always wonder if this app format is taking away from Topps releasing similar cool looking cards as real trading cards.

I enjoyed collecting and trading for the complete base set in the white, blue and red colors, but the inserts I will never get anywhere near complete sets. Heck, I've been trying to complete the Fan's Choice set of cards, and during the last week, all my trade offers for the last one I need keep getting declined. I've heard there are a lot of scamming going on and people wanting others to overpay for their trade offers.

But apparently there are many, many users who purchase credits every day, so I'm sure that Topps is very happy with it.

Posts: 106 | Location: West Chester, PA, USA | Registered: December 18, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andynova:
But apparently there are many, many users who purchase credits every day, so I'm sure that Topps is very happy with it.

I think this works best for those people that are used to Facebook games or fantasy games, where you keep trying to obtain certain levels. Perhaps Star War fans in general might like the idea.

It just seems like an app for virtual cards would go against the grain of a pure card collector just because we are such an obsessive lot. Nearly every card collector I ever met also collected something else along the way, but it was always something tangible.

Gamers see it differently and are happy chasing after virtual treasures. Paying real money for things in an imaginary world never seemed like a good deal to me. But then there is Bitcoins, although you don't hear too much about that anymore. If you are spending real money on non-existent merchandise, why not spend non-existent money on real merchandise?

Maybe because it makes no logical sense. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
I'm having lots of fun with this APP. You get free coins just by checking in each day and can use those to by virtual packs of cards. While you probably will not be able to collect the rarer subsets that they release with just the free coins, you can get lucky and pick up a couple, and then try trading them for cards that interest you. I'm doing it strictly for fun and free.

I'm "Average_Andy" for anybody looking for trades.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I've just joined this to see what it's like and to kill commuting time. I can't imagine ever spending real money on it, but it's easy to get free credits to open packs. They also have lots of different levels of collectible and the app actively encourages trades (say what you have and what you want and it matches you), so it seems like it would be easy enough to get some of the fun of collecting.

I am tangentJB if anyone else is still doing it.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
Hi Tangent, I've just sent you a trade offer in the app. My name there is monkeyafterdark.

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Tangent, I've just sent you a trade offer in the app. My name there is monkeyafterdark.

Thanks, a very generous trade too. I will have to work out how to do these complicated things like selecting multiple cards and sending to particular people. The trading part seems a little unintuitive.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tangent:
I will have to work out how to do these complicated things like selecting multiple cards and sending to particular people. The trading part seems a little unintuitive.

It took me a while to figure out how it all works. And there are some features that are sorely lacking. Also, too many participants who want trades to be excessively in their favor. But whenever a few trade proposals do get accepted, it does make me very happy.
Clearly this is an app that generates a whole lot of revenue for Topps, and people do seem to be shelling out lots of money to get their trader app fix.

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I've been doing this for a few weeks now and it's grown on me. You do need to put some money into it to have enough 'stock' to have something to trade, but trading is its strength.

There's an interesting phenomenon of hoarding - trying to get as many 'copies' of a particular character's white card as you can. This leads to massive amounts of trading. Also, there are usually about 4 different insert sets going at once and they are all available in the packs so the free players can probably collect one of these but might pull the wrong set, so more trading ensues. Have all the inserts in the set by a particular date and you get a reward card. I am collecting two lots of inserts, which is why I need to top up with real money.

Unfortunately the trading is also the buggiest part of the app. I understand it is fine on iPhones, but the android app hangs and crashes when trying to look at pending trades.

Anyway, I alternate between wanting to throw it all in because of the buggy app, and massively enjoying the trading aspect, which has all but disappeared from physical cards. There's also a very nice forum on reddit.

posted Hide Post
The trading is quite some work too. To really get that one card that you're missing is hard work. So many variables to take into account. Not just the rarity, but also the timing. Generally there's a frenzy when a new card for an insert set is released and everybody wants to trade their double inserts from the previous week for this newly released one. Supply and demand are very fluid that way.
And it's often then that greedy trade proposals are in abundance. This does tend to diminish somewhat of the faith in fair trades.

A bad evolution, however, is that Topps has started to offer each new insert for sale. Sure you could open packs and seek to defy the odds, but now spending money will guarantee you get a certain insert card.
I'm assuming that it's their way of getting some of the action of traders selling their doubles on auction sites.
This purchase mechanism does, for me, undermine the idea of opening packs and striking insert gold. Or not. In the end it turns the app in a buying system, instead of a collecting game.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
I tried the app, and inevitably, I was disappointed.

I really like the concept, and the app itself is actually pretty good for a first attempt. I found it lacking, however. Whatever manner is used for trading, I couldn't see how to use it (I had no reason to trade, in the end, anyway). There was a minor counting bug with credits. The subject matter itself- boring! This coming from a long term Star Wars fan. I could overlook everything else, but that was the deciding factor which caused me to delete it. The 'library' layout had no classification, I sure didn't feel like scrolling through 6 versions of a thousand cards where the high majority were character cards. I think I seen one movie scene card. Characters though, if you like characters, this is for you! For me, boring as warm butter.

Loads of room for improvement, but the focus desperately needs to change Frown

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post