Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Disney Collector Cards
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disney Collector Cards
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted
I got this link today for some new Disney collector cards:

http://www.disneycollectorcard...0004W15058129W5509W1

The ad says that that they are over-sized 3 x 4.5 but they look pretty cool. I think I might order a few packs to try them out.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see some new Disney cards, but I'm not digging the subscription aspect.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I have ordered it so I will let everyone know what they look like when they get here.

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
They sound nice, and I'm a sucker for Disney, so I'll pick up the first couple for sure.
Thanks for the tip, Chris!

With these sort of subscription series, be they cards, plates, figurines, or what have you, the ones issued towards the eventual end of the run tend to be the most desirable in the long run, that is, valuable and hard to find, due to the manufacturer being able to adjust the production numbers downward as the initial subscribers inevitably drop off the rolls until the line is cancelled or concluded. For pure investment purposes, it would be good to subscribe to these in about a year, if they're still going on, and only purchase the ones issued from that point on. Those would be the lower print run cards, and you wouldn't have to had purchased the relatively plentiful (particularly the first few numbers) earlier packs, which should be available in the aftermarket at some point for less that what the subscription cost, basically $12 a packet with cost, shipping, and "processing" factored in, as people who bought the first couple, but quit, then decided to cash them in.

It depends how nice they are, but I'll try and hang in for a while. The mini-lithograph and cel-type cards sound worth a couple of bucks apiece, by themselves. If the cards are nice, it'll be a fair price.

A set of these subscription cards with mounted random cinema film frames, like Upper Deck Disney Treasure Reel Pieces would be most welcome. Hopefully, these will be successful, and we'll see something like that.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of The Mouseketeer
posted Hide Post
Just so everyone knows, this is a finite series. There are 96 cards in the main set that are issued 8 cards per pack. After the first pack, packs are shipped two at a time. There are also 6 cards that are only available to D23 (the official Disney fan club) members. Also, the set is on its second printing, but I haven't heard of any differences between the two.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: The Mouseketeer,

Posts: 2218 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
Mouseketeer, is the shipping $3.95 for each pack or $3.95 total for the two packs each month?

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kbmum:
Mouseketeer, is the shipping $3.95 for each pack or $3.95 total for the two packs each month?

It's $3.95 for both packs, so each pack (except for the first) ends up costing just under $10.

Posts: 2218 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, Mousketerr.

So it ends up being a 96 card set for about $115, but you'd need the 7 fan club cards to truly complete the set.

I'll still order the introductory pack for sure, but how nice they are will go a long way to determining if I decide to get the whole set.

Do you happen to have any scans of any of the cards you could share?

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Do you happen to have any scans of any of the cards you could share?

Unfortunately, I do not have a scanner. If I have some time this weekend, I will try to take pictures.

A little more detail about the D23 exclusive cards: These were issued in two packs of three cards each - one for the first printing (cards #97-99), another for the second (cards #100-102). (This page has images of the second set of cards.) Those D23 members who subscribed during the first printing received the first exclusive pack as a bonus and, after the second printing, were mailed the second pack for free. D23 members who subscribed during the second printing only received the second pack.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: The Mouseketeer,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Somewhere I read that the numbering will continue, but maybe it's just for those 3 cards.

If it goes beyond, then maybe it isn't a second printing, but a second series.

I called several weeks ago, and the operator said they were going to be all new cards.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So the set is cards #1-96, and cards #100-102 are the second printings for the D23 members ? Were #97-99 the first prints for the D23 members ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Ok so I got my first pack today, very quick turn around on my order.
The pack came with a welcome guide and 1 pack of 9 cards.

Here are what the cards look like, sorry my scanner sucks.

First is the Disney Magic Moment Cards, first in the set is Snow White.

Next is card 2 which is from the Disney Villains series: Maleficent

Card 3 is from Peter Pan is is part of the Sericel-Inspired Translucent Cards. Printed on a kind of translucent plastic:

Card 4 is from Fantasia and is from Behind the Scene s:

Card 5 is Concept Art from Dumbo:

Card 6 is from Bambi and is numbered 1315/5000 and is part of the Mini Lithograph Series:

Card 7 is the first of the Disney Vintage Poster Cards:

Card 8 is a Vintage Mickey Mouse Poster Card which looks like it might have a puzzle for a back:

The last card in the pack was card number 103 which is for the 70th anniversary of Chip and Dale:

I am really very happy with these cards and will go ahead and finish the set off. As i said my scanner sucks and does not do really justice to the cards.

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
So the set is cards #1-96, and cards #100-102 are the second printings for the D23 members ? Were #97-99 the first prints for the D23 members ?

Yes, that's right. I'll edit my earlier post to (hopefully) make this more clear. And there is also card #103 as shown in Chris' post above. I assume this card is given to everyone who subscribes to the second printing, but I'm not sure. This is getting more and more confusing.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Found this..

"The D23 exclusive BONUS PACK for Series 1 of these Disney Studios Collector Cards. Contains three 3 inch by 4.5 inch full-color cards. The cards are numbers 97, 98 and 99 in this series.

This limited edition set is individually numbered 0100/1,000.

The cards depict posters for three famous Mickey Mouse shorts: Steamboat Willie, Brave Little Taylor and The Band Concert"

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
It seems the D23 packs run was limited to 1000. Then 3000 for the first run of the cards. And then 5000 for the general pubic sets.

Here are the three D23 cards from the first set. See the link above for the D23 second set.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They look great, Chris!
Thanks for the pictures and description.
I just ordered mine.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Disney sucks! This is stupid!

So only 1000 people will have a full set.
Only people buying the first 3 reprint shipments will have a full set.

I was told on the phone that this was going to be new images. Operators don't know anything, but something seemed a little off on one of the advertisement wording. But these images prove that these are true reprints. I read or was told if you subscribe to the second printing you would have 101-103 in one shipment. Obviously not the case. Once again Disney has $ on their minds and not the collector.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
The offer is only valid in the US, so Disney clearly isn't interested in my money. More for GOT then Razz

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would have bought these in a heartbeat if it weren't for missing out on the exclusive DC cards - my daughter loves Chip and Dale, too. :<(

Posts: 47 | Location: indiana | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I never complained about missing the D23 cards because it took me 5 mins on ebay to find both set for $10 each, which is the same price as the packs are with shipping. I know it seems like Disney is trying to stop people from having a complete set, but how is this different then the way Topps does things or Rittenhouse and a limited autograph of only 200 or less?

The first set that was only for D23 members was limted and numbered to 3000 the new reprints for the common people in printed to 5000. cards 100-102 are limted to 2500 for D23 members and if you already had the others they are giving these cards to members for free.

This does mean that there are only 1000 packs of 97-99 so even the D23 are getting left out a little.

As far as Disney only caring about money Hello! It's Disney!

" Jenna Reed: You want to know where Coop is? Just look for the most heinous, vile, and horrible exploitation of children on the planet.

Robert Stack: Scenario Two: Coop went to Disney World. " BASEketball