Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    EBAY buyer/seller comments
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EBAY buyer/seller comments
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
I recently sold a couple of cards and no joke, this is the comment the buyer used to get to try to get his money back. "You seem to have disrespectfully shipped in used top loaders" . I didn't know the age of the loader was now subject to a negative comment...What a world!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Never heard of that one before...but I have heard of people who complain about the "condition" of graded card slabs from time to time. Some don't like any light scratches or marks on the slab. So if I ever sell a graded card I always mention anything like that I see at the end of my listing followed by a "for those who care about such things" remark. Maybe we have to cash in on this now and start our own company where we grade the slabs and toploaders. I rate that penny sleeve a 7.5 NM+ Roll Eyes
But in your case promoking it just sounds like a buyer who had remorse and is attempting to invent a reason why you're in the wrong. And I've learned that eBay will almost always side with the buyer so there's no use fighting it.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Never heard of that one before...but I have heard of people who complain about the "condition" of graded card slabs from time to time.

Yes, that's a new one that has come up recently. They are selling fitted boxes and sleeves specifically for graded cards so that the slabs remain pristine. Don't want any fingerprints either I guess. Wink

I did enjoy the "disrespectfully shipped" phrase though. If that fellow truly feels disrespected over a top loader, he/she is in for a disappointing life. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ridiculous. Block that buyer.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Events like this is why I have given up selling on ebay.
I have told this before but I had a buyer who got the card, claimed their was a crease in it and demanded a refund. Ebay sided with them even though all my photos showed no crease. I got a card back with a crease and a different top loader because I have never sent out out with the word "Rookie" on it. The buyer was upgrading his collection at ebay sellers expense. I sent all this to ebay and they did zero.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, but I think eBay would be very happy to get rid of all the small sellers that don't meet some cut off line and have been shifting their rules to encourage their departure. They want retail/commercial sellers and bulk sellers only.

It isn't any different than what has happened with card makers. They decided that pack buyers were unimportant, and then box buyers were unimportant, and then case buyers were good, but not great either. Now they are designing product for the multi-case buyer. They are selling with the large distributors and dealers and bulk flippers first in mind.

Card collectors can go to retail versions, if there are any, or go to one of those hobby outlets directly or on eBay. The major card manufacturers, with the major titles, would rather that their bulk buyers deal with the real collectors, because once their product is sold out from them, they don't care what happens on the secondary markets.

So eBay would also rather lose the bottom third of it's sellers and it would make more saving on the expense of not having to maintain and service those small accounts. Do you really think they respond to a large commercial seller the same way they respond to someone selling a handful of cheap cards every month? If they did, it wouldn't be good business. The bigger customer always expects and gets the better service. eBay was built on flea market sellers, but they don't need them anymore and they don't care if they leave.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I agree with all that. Normally when i do that the writer goes back to find out where they went wrong. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Reading all of your insightful comments made me smile after an arduous day. Smile

Barobehere,
Is there a viable alternative to selling on Ebay?

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Reading all of your insightful comments made me smile after an arduous day. Smile

Barobehere,
Is there a viable alternative to selling on Ebay?

I have found quite a few Facebook groups that I have had better luck selling on. I found that one you settle in and start to see who is in the group. Who seems like good people to sell to, that you have a good time.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

Since you tend to sell cards that are at least 15 years old, you might respond by saying that you actually make the effort to send cards in vintage top loaders so that they are correct for the period as many in your clientele have requested. You allow them to be gently aged by exposing them to filtered sunlight until they have achieved that desired amber tint. Clearly, that customer has no sense for what's appropriate and likely recognizes none of the authors on Cardaddict's shelves.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
I recently sold a couple of cards and no joke, this is the comment the buyer used to get to try to get his money back. "You seem to have disrespectfully shipped in used top loaders" . I didn't know the age of the loader was now subject to a negative comment...What a world!

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, every once in a while, I think about selling on Ebay again even though it's tougher to sell there than it used to be. Imagine the lost business by many collectibles sellers when they could no longer be paid by check nor money order. A whole generation or two had been paying that way and many were uneasy about this "Pay Pal" that could reach into your bank account. Some never bought there again.

Then, I heard your story some time ago and now, Promoking's. What a rip-off. What a hassle. I'll stick to garage sales.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
Events like this is why I have given up selling on ebay.
I have told this before but I had a buyer who got the card, claimed their was a crease in it and demanded a refund. Ebay sided with them even though all my photos showed no crease. I got a card back with a crease and a different top loader because I have never sent out out with the word "Rookie" on it. The buyer was upgrading his collection at ebay sellers expense. I sent all this to ebay and they did zero.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
E-Bay has also just changed its for sale/not sold, etc. page, and made it impossible to not revert to the 'classic view'. They seem to do this every time I get comfortable with their newest 'update',and I get so frustrated with the so called improvements I just want to throw my hands up and walk away from the whole thing.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post