Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New cards
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
Just in passing I noticed that in a letterbox drop yesterday my local supermarket is offering a new trading card for every $20 spent. They are called Heroes and feature characters from Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar and Ice Age. Hard to say at this stage as to how many there are in a set but the ad. shows card 15 at least. Since we spend about $200 a week on groceries I should get a set fairly soon. Once I get another set I will give it away to some lucky soul on this forum.
In the meantime, since they are unlikely to be New Zealand originals does anyone know anything about them?

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These are probably the "same" as the ones from next door in Oz, at Woolworths and Safeway:
Dreamworks Heroes.

The cards themselves don't have any manufacturer/title information, so I bet they can print up wrappers and albums for whomever licenses them. Possibly that will make set building easier; check yours against the others on the auction sites.

I bet the Kiwi collector's album won't be subtitled "Australia's Fresh Food People." The Soylent Green chain features Fresh People Food.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Yep, right again as usual Jeff. I got my first eleven cards today and the list you have is correct. You are also correct in that each card is singly wrapped and bears the logo of our local supermarket chain.
Interestingly the back of the wrapper says Manufactured by TCC World Trade Centre Amsterdam Netherlands but goes on to say Made in China.
Now either 'Made' and 'Manufactured' mean two different things in Eurospeak or my geography has gone to hell in a hand bag.

The other thing to note is that the cards are lenticular on plastic and only measure 6x5cms (if you're not metric you live in the past!)
Also they have rounded corners. My thoughtful wife had the presence of mind to buy me the album too. This is a very nice hard cover with 5x9 pocket pages to accommodate the 42 cards.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The albums disappeared pretty quickly in Australia, so probably not a bad policy to get in early.

We also had two sets of Australian animals cards from Woolworths last year which were massively popular. It is a very good gimmick / marketing initiative by them.

Posts: 26 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: April 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
This sounds great, free cards when you go shopping. I'm surprised Topps have not done this with the football cards or Dr Who.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Who would have thunk it!! Suddenly these cards mentioned earlier in this post have grown wings!
Seems that everyman and his dog suddenly wants a set of them. Our local trading site TradeMe is offering a full set in an album for $100 and has got nearly two dozen bids so far. Dozens of other sellers are selling various quantities opened or still sealed for around $2/card. Amazing! Now if only I can convince the market to start collecting sets from the 80's I'll be a winner!
PS I had the presence of mind to pick up another spare binder for the set which was just as well as my local supermarket has already sold out. Also they are now offering "double cards" on some products (Coke for instance)