Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tin cards
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
Pardon my ignorance but I have never seen a tin card. Is it made out of tin or is it just an ordinary card that comes in a tin? If it's made out of tin wouldn't they be subject to rust if they got damp? And what do you store them in? (please don't say "a tin") I mean do they fit in an Ultra-Pro 9 pocket or what??

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hi Btlfannz:

Do you mean the new metal cards that many artists are doing and NSU has produced a couple of? They are actually made out of metal, are standard size (2.5 x 3.5) and fit fine in 9-pocket pages. Have no idea if they would rust if they get damp. Sorry.

There have been other metal (and tin) cards produced over the years. There was a company who did metal Star Wars cards (and other subjects) in the 90s called Metallic Impressions. Those had rounded edges though and so where thicker. There have been other metal/tin cards done through the years as well.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
There are also tin cards which are just normal cards but came in a tin. Artbox did some of these and Dr Who in the UK has special cards which only come inside a special tin which has 5 packs of cards and the special card in it.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
When tin cards are mentioned I always assume that they mean metal cards and there have been several of those releases over the years. It is not a new idea.

As already stated, they are usually of normal size and thickness and do fit into regular 9 pocket pages. Of course they may have made some that do not conform to a normal trading card, I just never saw one that didn't.

I really don't know what happens if they get wet because I never tried it, but I would think that they would survive a soaking a lot better than any regular cardboard card would. Wink

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As Wolfie said, in the early 2000s, ArtBox did exclusive cards on their Lord of the Rings sets. They were undersized, little squares, that came 1 per tin, each card exclusive to a particular tin. I think there were 30 or 40 different ones, so that discouraged a lot of people from chasing after them, as you'd have to find and purchase 40 different tins to complete your set. Frown

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Artbox also did tins with several Harry Potter sets. These were standard cards and were normally numbered T1.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. By the sound of it I'll take a rain check on 'tinnies' thanks!!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
If you're referring to our metal cards, they're made of aluminum and will not rust if that's your concern.

The cards that have labels on the back, are not considered water safe because of the labels. The label won't survive. But the actual card itself, and the print on the front, will be complete fine if it gets wet and then dried off. I've had business cards (ours are made of the same metal) go through the wash in pants pockets and they come out nice and shiny clean! lol

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:

I've had business cards (ours are made of the same metal) go through the wash in pants pockets and they come out nice and shiny clean! lol

I can vouch for that. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
If you're referring to our metal cards, they're made of aluminum and will not rust if that's your concern.

This is technically correct (especially in a practical sense)!

Fun Fact: But "rust" is _uncontrolled_ oxidation on a metal surface. Bare aluminum and stainless steel actually oxidize immediately in air or water, but form an invisibly thin protective layer that protects the item from further reactions. Controlled corrosion prevents rust ...

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post