Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Strong Language on cards - what's your opinion?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strong Language on cards - what's your opinion?
 Login/Join

Picture of cardcollectors uk
posted
Hi everyone. Anthony from Pop Culture Company here. I have a dilemma about strong language on cards and I'd like some honest feedback. I cant find any examples on cards so far, so....
When a quote from the show contains strong language, is it OK to use it in context on a card, as long as the pack is marked with a warning?
The upcoming 'Misfits' set I'm producing has some really funny quotes with strong language which I want to use, but I cant find any sort of guidelines.
I could use **** or *!$% too, but I think that would spoil the quotes.

Also, the cards are available worldwide, so any lawyers out there, what's the law regarding this where you live?

oh, and first person who says I dont f*%!& know loses five points. Smile

Posts: 128 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, some stores may not carry cards that have profanity on them, so you may lose customers. Not too long ago, the local comic store had complaints about semi-adult comics that they were carrying, and he just stopped selling them so as to avoid contoversy.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardcollectors uk:
Hi everyone. Anthony from Pop Culture Company here. I have a dilemma about strong language on cards and I'd like some honest feedback. I cant find any examples on cards so far, so....
When a quote from the show contains strong language, is it OK to use it in context on a card, as long as the pack is marked with a warning?
The upcoming 'Misfits' set I'm producing has some really funny quotes with strong language which I want to use, but I cant find any sort of guidelines.
I could use **** or *!$% too, but I think that would spoil the quotes.

Also, the cards are available worldwide, so any lawyers out there, what's the law regarding this where you live?

oh, and first person who says I dont f*%!& know loses five points. Smile

I haven't got a *@!$ing clue???? Smile

But I would hazard a guess that.if you mark the products as 18 and/or does contain stong language?I think you will be ok???

Its mostly a adult hobby these days anyway and these cards I would think are made for the adult fans of the show?

Posts: 174 | Location: Liverpool | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by simpsonscardman:
But I would hazard a guess that.if you mark the products as 18 and/or does contain stong language?I think you will be ok???

Its mostly a adult hobby these days anyway and these cards I would think are made for the adult fans of the show?
Given the context of the show, while you should certainly mark them as 18 you should consider replacing the usual 'contains strong, adult language' warning with the more appropriate 'contains weak, juvenile language' Big Grin

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cardcollectors uk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by simpsonscardman:
I haven't got a *@!$ing clue???? Smile

Deduct Five Points Smile

Posts: 128 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Zero
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing these will be bought by fans of the show and so they likely will have heard the offending language already. If they carried on watching enough to want to buy a card set then they shouldn't have a problem with the same uncensored language being on the cards. That, of course, applies straight forward logic to the situation which often goes out the window in these situations.

I supect people with no interest in the show or the cards will tell you it shouldn't happen, usually saying children might get there hands on them. Adults should take more care. If that happens its the parents/adults fault not the cards. (Bit of a video censorship bee in my bonnet!) Clearly labelled should be fine for all but the most uptight.

Posts: 191 | Location: Cheshire, UK | Registered: January 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to say that a few colorful metaphors on paper doesnt seem so bad when you consider some of the stuff that has been visually on cards, both recent and in the past. Take Horrors Of War for example. They sold those in drug stores where kids went to get comics and sodas. There were no parental disgresion stickers and for those times seeing a mans head chopped off is much more shocking than today some kid seeing two vampire babes licking eachothers tounges or some sitcom celebrity saying the F word. So thats is my 2 cents.

Posts: 45 | Location: north carolina | Registered: September 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I am not a person who swears alot or particularly likes to hear it said, esp if it's in a place of anger or hatred, but I have begged RA o produce a dual signed quotes cards for the Trek Movie 2009 of SPock saying "I am Spock" and Kirk saying Bu**sh**. Funniest line evah!

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I've never seen the Misfits, but I'm sure that any fans would be fine with the quotes and I myself have no issues with the printed word. However in this enlightened society its pretty hard to say or write anything that doesn't manage to offend someone for some reason. Big Grin

I don't think you have to label it to look like an adults only product, unless you have pictures to match Wink, but a short "may contain strong language" or words to that effect on the box certainly won't do you any harm. Its also a good answer to the odd complaint, if you ever get one.

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
It would not offend or make any difference to me whatsoever.

Posts: 2503 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't censor the quotes, any fan of the show would have heard them already. Non-fans won't buy the set anyways.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post