Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Why So Hard to Find ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Why So Hard to Find ?
 Login/Join
 
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks to promoking's help, I was able to find the Superior Collection # 1 promo

There were 2-3 on ebay the past few days, but just under different names. Smile They were listed as 1992 National Auction cards

Thanks, Albert !
 
Posts: 4555 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David,

I'm glad you were able to find it. That's one of those sports show promos that is hard to find now but tends to be cheap when you finally track it down. I would not have guessed those keywords. You never know what's going to come up in a search especially when the terms are rather general.

Jess



quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Thanks to promoking's help, I was able to find the Superior Collection # 1 promo

There were 2-3 on ebay the past few days, but just under different names. Smile They were listed as 1992 National Auction cards

Thanks, Albert !
 
Posts: 3459 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The seller has multiples of both promos # 1 and 2 for a mere $ 1 each. Smile

Talking about cards produced by TABB Investments, I still have never seen the 1994 promo set for The Flintstones (John Goodman) movie. I've seen the set for the Little Rascals film, however. Still looking for the Flintstones !
 
Posts: 4555 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
I started an identical thread of this nature some time back and there is still a number of cards that I listed at the time that have still never surfaced. For instance:
PROMOS
Secret City Saga#11
Satan's Six #5
DC Masters C1
DC Masters H1
DC Milestones M4
DC Milestones No #
DC Cosmic Teams P1
DC Cosmic Teams 0
DC Cosmic Teams 000
Avengers
In Colour B1 Steed & Mrs Gale
In Colour B2 Rocking horse
In Colour B4 McNee with toy
In Colour B5 Diana Rigg pose
In Colour B7 Thank you card
In Colour B8 Talented Amateurs
In Colour B9 Thank you (distribs)
Archie 000 same as 37
Archie 000 same as 62
Bram Stokers Dracula (Bat) NN No red foil
Bram Stokers Dracula (Wolf) NN No red foil
I've only been looking for these cards consistently for the last 100 years (possibly longer) but have never seen one. Do they even exist?

____________________
My dog is a RotweillerXLabrador. He'll bite your leg off but he'll always bring it back to you.
 
Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
I've only been looking for these cards consistently for the last 100 years (possibly longer) but have never seen one. Do they even exist?


btlfannz,
They do exist except for the Secret City card #11. The Satan's 6 card #5 is misnumbered and is actually card #0. So if you have that one, then you have the full set. Don't worry it took me 300 years to find my copy of the other ones on your list.

David,
you're welcome!

____________________
 
Posts: 940 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
David,

I would not have guessed those keywords. You never know what's going to come up in a search especially when the terms are rather general.

Very interesting comment Jess. Over the last few years I have developed a rather extensive and esoteric string of word and topic searches that I have incorporated into my "followed searches" on you know where. In the early days of the bay, it was like stealing candy from a baby because so many people used to list in the wrong categories or would misspell words and were then at the mercy of astute buyers who would capitalize on those errors. Now the bay does most of the thinking for you either as a buyer or seller and it's much harder to find a bargain as a buyer.
So, I've gotten creative in my searches and as a former professor of mine used to say, "think outside the box". This motto has helped me find quite a lot of nice cards in the most arcane places. I'm not going to share all of my secrets but now that I have acquired 99.2% of all the promos in PCE and thousands not mentioned there, I will divulge this. When looking for promos, I have had much success by omitting the word "pokemon",and most individual sports by name,(too many listings come up)and instead of using the word promo, I look for: test cards; sample cards; not for sale cards; prototype cards; blank back cards; convention only/exclusive cards; giveaway cards; mail in cards; send away cards; promotional use only cards etc.. You may not get a hit on the specific card you are targeting in your search, but I have often run across another promo that I either didn't have or didn't know existed.

____________________
 
Posts: 940 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
btlfannz

Following on from promoking I can confirm that the following also do exist:

DC Milestones M4
DC Milestones No # (I have 2 different versions)
In Colour B1 Steed & Mrs Gale
In Colour B2 Rocking horse
In Colour B4 McNee with toy aeroplane
In Colour B5 Diana Rigg pose
In Colour B7 Thank you card
In Colour B8 Talented Amateurs
Archie 000 same as 62
Bram Stokers Dracula (Bat) NN No red foil
Bram Stokers Dracula (Wolf) NN No red foil

I also have several of the Avengers cards with either blank backs or no text.

regards

John

____________________
 
Posts: 1979 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moderator
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Not to hijack the thread but this well titled thread seemed a good place to ask...
I've been looking for the Star Trek Next Generation Season 7 Skybox 'QVC' promo featuring the cast sat around a poker table.

The card is unnumbered, dated 1994 and states on the back is limited to 10,000 copies although you wouldn't think it given how few you see. There are two on eBay at the moment both over $100. Eek

Any Trek/promo experts have any idea why they are so scarce?


Ne sure to keep an eye out for the plaque:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-T...9:g:NnoAAOSwyQtVrr~g

That is an example that isn't cheap but might give you an option.
As to why it's so rare, I suspect the reason is it went to general trek fans, not card fans. People who watch QVC and like Trek and buy Trek stuff but aren't card collector's specifically. And it gets sold as a plaque and not a card, so doesn't make it back into card collector's hands as often.

____________________
Star Trek cards rule, everything else drools.
 
Posts: 4241 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
I started an identical thread of this nature some time back and there is still a number of cards that I listed at the time that have still never surfaced. For instance:
PROMOS

Avengers
In Colour B1 Steed & Mrs Gale
In Colour B2 Rocking horse
In Colour B4 McNee with toy
In Colour B5 Diana Rigg pose
In Colour B7 Thank you card
In Colour B8 Talented Amateurs
In Colour B9 Thank you (distribs)

I've only been looking for these cards consistently for the last 100 years (possibly longer) but have never seen one. Do they even exist?


I have all these cards so can confirm they exist. I also have B1 - B7 for trade. Thumb Up

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28794 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
All of those DC Masters and DC Cosmic Teams promos you list, do exist

They just have become harder to find as the years pass

In fact, the Cosmic Teams P1, 0, and 000 are "you know where" right now if you want to grab all 3

There was a DC Master C1 on ebay recently. There is an H1 up now

Good luck !
 
Posts: 4555 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Promoking,

I thought a search for oddball promos with "-pokemon" was a common practice. Otherwise, you will need a free afternoon. Also, yes, I have had luck a few times just trying "promotional card." Some sellers write that out without "promo" as an additional keyword. I have also done "show promo card" to see what comes up. You might not find anything "new" (not listed in PCE) with general searches such as the ones you list, but sometimes, you find a real bargain you can't pass up.

Jess


quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
David,

I would not have guessed those keywords. You never know what's going to come up in a search especially when the terms are rather general.

Very interesting comment Jess. Over the last few years I have developed a rather extensive and esoteric string of word and topic searches that I have incorporated into my "followed searches" on you know where. In the early days of the bay, it was like stealing candy from a baby because so many people used to list in the wrong categories or would misspell words and were then at the mercy of astute buyers who would capitalize on those errors. Now the bay does most of the thinking for you either as a buyer or seller and it's much harder to find a bargain as a buyer.
So, I've gotten creative in my searches and as a former professor of mine used to say, "think outside the box". This motto has helped me find quite a lot of nice cards in the most arcane places. I'm not going to share all of my secrets but now that I have acquired 99.2% of all the promos in PCE and thousands not mentioned there, I will divulge this. When looking for promos, I have had much success by omitting the word "pokemon",and most individual sports by name,(too many listings come up)and instead of using the word promo, I look for: test cards; sample cards; not for sale cards; prototype cards; blank back cards; convention only/exclusive cards; giveaway cards; mail in cards; send away cards; promotional use only cards etc.. You may not get a hit on the specific card you are targeting in your search, but I have often run across another promo that I either didn't have or didn't know existed.
 
Posts: 3459 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John,

I have seen some blank back versions but not the "no text" versions. I assume these are cards that appeared only after Cornerstone went out of business (or are they error promos or error cards from packs?). I vaguely remember when a number of oddball Cornerstone cards became available (early 2000's). You could have gotten sample versions of the super-rare Avengers in Color B9 promo (not numbered out of ten) for a while. You can still get one but the seller wants too much for it apparently thinking it's the super-rare one.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
btlfannz

I also have several of the Avengers cards with either blank backs or no text.

regards

John
 
Posts: 3459 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David,

I have one of the Flintstones cards but have never seen the whole set.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
The seller has multiples of both promos # 1 and 2 for a mere $ 1 each. Smile

Talking about cards produced by TABB Investments, I still have never seen the 1994 promo set for The Flintstones (John Goodman) movie. I've seen the set for the Little Rascals film, however. Still looking for the Flintstones !
 
Posts: 3459 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Not to hijack the thread but this well titled thread seemed a good place to ask...
I've been looking for the Star Trek Next Generation Season 7 Skybox 'QVC' promo featuring the cast sat around a poker table.

The card is unnumbered, dated 1994 and states on the back is limited to 10,000 copies although you wouldn't think it given how few you see. There are two on eBay at the moment both over $100. Eek

Any Trek/promo experts have any idea why they are so scarce?


Ne sure to keep an eye out for the plaque:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-T...9:g:NnoAAOSwyQtVrr~g

That is an example that isn't cheap but might give you an option.
As to why it's so rare, I suspect the reason is it went to general trek fans, not card fans. People who watch QVC and like Trek and buy Trek stuff but aren't card collector's specifically. And it gets sold as a plaque and not a card, so doesn't make it back into card collector's hands as often.


Thanks Lynne. That was one of the two cards I had seen listed. Probably a good idea to keep looking for more of those.
On the upside, if you cracked one of those promos from its display case, I imagine it would be mint condition. On the downside, if the original owner displayed the plaque I can foresee some faded cards.
I REALLY liked that this seller's looks like it was never used but that is too strong an asking price for me.
The LOTR Boromir/Sean Bean auto card was sold as a UK exclusive via QVC and I still see plenty these days coming from sellers who clearly don't know much about trading cards.

You're the expert though, what sort of money should I be looking at for one of these cards? How often have you seen them over the years?

It's annoying me how tough this one is to find, I only collect bits and bobs of Trek, and pretty much only TNG (the last scene of All Good Things... around the poker table is my favourite of the series and summed up the show perfectly, which is why I want this card!), but it's not my collecting focus so I will never shell out big money for anything like this.
...especially if there are indeed a few thousand out there somewhere!
 
Posts: 3124 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
David,

I have one of the Flintstones cards but have never seen the whole set.

Jess

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David R:
The seller has multiples of both promos # 1 and 2 for a mere $ 1 each. Smile

Talking about cards produced by TABB Investments, I still have never seen the 1994 promo set for The Flintstones (John Goodman) movie. I've seen the set for the Little Rascals film, however. Still looking for the Flintstones !


I have the 6 card Flinstones movie Tabb promo set. Honestly, nothing special, rather cheap looking.

____________________
 
Posts: 940 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moderator
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:



You're the expert though, what sort of money should I be looking at for one of these cards? How often have you seen them over the years?


Well, to be honest, it's been years since I tracked that specific card. I would have said $30 was the average price back when I was buying up more inventory and/or seeing more show up. But, I can't recall seeing very many the last few years.
Also, I'm not so sure that it's so much that it's a QVC item as it is a plaque item. You have the available number of items cut basically in half. Plaque collectors want them and card collectors want them.

____________________
Star Trek cards rule, everything else drools.
 
Posts: 4241 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
John,

I have seen some blank back versions but not the "no text" versions. I assume these are cards that appeared only after Cornerstone went out of business (or are they error promos or error cards from packs?). I vaguely remember when a number of oddball Cornerstone cards became available (early 2000's). You could have gotten sample versions of the super-rare Avengers in Color B9 promo (not numbered out of ten) for a while. You can still get one but the seller wants too much for it apparently thinking it's the super-rare one.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
btlfannz

I also have several of the Avengers cards with either blank backs or no text.

regards

John


Jess

I believe I got them when I purchased a binder with all 3 Cornerstone sets and promos. The binder was just an ordinary binder that someone had kept the cards in. Unfortunately I cannot remember when is was but it may well been after they became available. The main seller of those cards I believe was very prolific on the bay and I think they may have even been a cardtalker at some point. My binder did not come that person but I did buy all sorts of promo cards from them from time to time.

regards

John

John

____________________
 
Posts: 1979 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Yes,
that seller was Glenn Leonard who bought out all of Cornerstone's stock from its president who later moved to Europe. England or Germany if I recall. Glenn was a pioneer in the promo card movement but he sold his entire collection over period of 10 years on Ebay and other venues. He had one heck of a collection and was a regular at the Philly show for many, many years. I too picked up a lot of scarce material from him over the years, some of which I haven't seen another to this day like the uncut sheet of the Avengers black & white promo set A1 through A6. Unfortunately, I haven't heard from him in a few years, now.

____________________
 
Posts: 940 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Yes,
that seller was Glenn Leonard who bought out all of Cornerstone's stock from its president who later moved to Europe. England or Germany if I recall. Glenn was a pioneer in the promo card movement but he sold his entire collection over a period of 10 years on Ebay and other venues. He had one heck of a collection and was a regular at the Philly show for many, many years. I too picked up a lot of scarce material from him over the years, some of which I haven't seen another to this day like the uncut sheet of the Avengers black & white promo set A1 through A6. Unfortunately, I haven't heard from him in a few years, now.

____________________
 
Posts: 940 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Yes,
that seller was Glenn Leonard who bought out all of Cornerstone's stock from its president who later moved to Europe. England or Germany if I recall. Glenn was a pioneer in the promo card movement but he sold his entire collection over a period of 10 years on Ebay and other venues. He had one heck of a collection and was a regular at the Philly show for many, many years. I too picked up a lot of scarce material from him over time, some of which I haven't seen another to this day like the uncut sheet of the Avengers black & white promo set A1 through A6. Unfortunately, I haven't heard from him in a few years, now.

____________________
 
Posts: 940 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Why So Hard to Find ?

© Non-Sport Update 2013