Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Yes Groo cards finally!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yes Groo cards finally!!
 Login/Join

posted
I managed to score off ebay a complete set of Groo cards and all the chase cards.. it did cost me a bit when it all added together, but I have been after this set for ages.

I think the price for base 153 card set was actually pretty reasonable.. especially as they dont come up very often.. the chase cards are not cheap though.

Groo was by far my favourite comic.. I cant wait for them to arrive.

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didnt see too much interest in this post but thought I would post the pictures anyway.. a very nice set, the chase cards are excellent.

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well... I'm jealous!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I must admit i have no idea what Groo is but i am glad you are happy with your purchase, enjoy. Smile

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
The base set artistry reminds me of Gary Larson's art back in the 1980s.
Very nice set !

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
I don't know who Groo is either, but the cards look great Thumb Up

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
It's a comicbook by Sergio Aragones (artist) & Mark Evanier (writer).

Sergio's other work can be seen in MAD magazine and, apart from comics, Mark writes for TV.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didnt realise Groo wasnt so well known..

I have always had a soft spot for Groo as when was I growing up two of my favourite comics were Groo and Conan. It was a good combination as Groo was everything Conan wasn't, although he could fight like a demon he was ugly and just plain dumb as..

When I started collecting cards and found out about the Groo set, I searched for ages, then this set came up on ebay and I was lucky enough to win the auction. I guess for me, this set has a lot of sentimental value as well as being a pretty cool card set..

The chase cards are actually sketch cards, each one drawn by a different artist.. from memory #7 is the drawer of Bone, #9 is by an artist from WildCAT, and #5 is the drawer of the Maxx.

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nice set -- tough set too. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drofdarb:

Sergio's work is one of my biggest influences. I've always read and loved Groo. Got a couple letters in issues as well. Smile

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I met him at the 1997 San Diego Comic Con. He's a very nice guy. He signed his "Groo" Dark Horse signing cards in the Dark Horse booth. At the 1999 SDCC he signed his "Sergio Aragones The Groo Houndbook" signing cards and added a sketch. The following year, he did that for his "Space Circus" signing cards as well.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:

Sergio's work is one of my biggest influences. I've always read and loved Groo. Got a couple letters in issues as well. Smile

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
the first sketch cards were in the Groo set, before the Marvel sketchagraphs. You could say its because of Groo that sketch cards even exist.

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I managed to score off ebay a complete set of Groo cards and all the chase cards.. it did cost me a bit when it all added together, but I have been after this set for ages.

I think the price for base 153 card set was actually pretty reasonable.. especially as they dont come up very often.. the chase cards are not cheap though.

Groo was by far my favourite comic.. I cant wait for them to arrive.

Groo was one of those very rare cases where I loved a set so much I had to buy it piecemeal. Now skip nearly 15 years later and I am still waiting to complete!! Hey Brad all I want is cards #1 and $19 got any spares??
BTW Long time no hear from - welcome back!!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A sealed box of the 1995 cards sold on ebay in January for over $ 300 !

And a lot of 33 packs sold for over $ 60 !

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Sergio Aragones is a great guy. I'd make a point of visiting his booth at Comic-Con every year back when I would attend.

Here's some of the Groo chase cards plus the two base cards Sergio is willing to sign from the series (just these two, since he doesn't want them confused with the pack-pulled autographs you could have found). There's also a base card signed by Stan Sakai (letterer of "Groo" and himself, the creator of Usagi Yojimbo). At center is a sketch card he was nice enough to do for me(in about 2 seconds flat).

About 6-7 years ago when I visited him, he opened a portfolio he had with him and I saw he had the full "Groo" insert set as an uncut sheet with a separate plastic overlay. I bought it from him and he autographed it, but unfortunately, I've never scanned it. He actually had another one of the uncut sheets besides the one I bought, but it's been a while, so he's probably sold it. I'll see about adding a picture of it to the thread.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You have a sharp eye. That's a killer pick-up on the uncut sheet. I don't think that was ever a promo item nor case incentive. There couldn't be many of those around - maybe something you could get only directly from Aragones. Wow.

Stan Sakai is also a good guy. He signed his 1999 and 2000 Usagi Yojimbo Dark Horse signing cards in the DH booth at SDCC and added a sketch to those as well.

I must confess that I didn't really know those guys then (other than Aragones being on a 1991 promo panel for "Famous Comic Book Creators), but in the years since, I have heard a lot about both of them and the legions of fans they have. Those Groo cards have been a big deal but it seems the values for the chase cards and unopened boxes have jumped at least 25% in the past few years.

Jess

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post