Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Anyone collect Archive boxes??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone collect Archive boxes??
 Login/Join

posted
I just wondered??Wink

Posts: 174 | Location: Liverpool | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Don't see how anyone could. You can't open them or they cease to be archive boxes. You can't count on randomly finding one and who could afford to purchase them?

I would like to just pull one some day, but then I think what's the point? How would I keep from opening it when I can't keep a regular box closed long enough for Open That Box Day? Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I remember a few years ago there was an eBay listing for something like 30 archive boxes. So i guess someone used to. I think they all get bought by openers now.

I actually have a closed archive box of Warehouse 13 season 1 in my 'stored' area. I don't consider it part of my collection, but I think that W13 is one of those shows that might gradually pick up more viewers over time and, like Stargate, the early cards could be hard to get hold of. So far the main cast have been excellent signers so it's unlikely to increase in value much but I got it at a good price.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to collect regular sealed boxes of cards when I was younger. Than I realized there may be redemption cards in there, so that was the end of that.

But an archive box is just like collecting an entire set. Only difference is the display.

Posts: 97 | Location: United States | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
i've seen empty archive boxes sell on ebay (i guess people like the sticker?)

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AlexC:
I used to collect regular sealed boxes of cards when I was younger. Than I realized there may be redemption cards in there, so that was the end of that.

But an archive box is just like collecting an entire set. Only difference is the display.

That's not really true. Many archive boxes only guarantee all the "special inserts" from boxes. They ofter don't guarantee a base set. Case in point, I opened a Heroes Archives archive box, and only received about 25 base cards. The rest of the cards were inserts.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Bartowski:
That's not really true. Many archive boxes only guarantee all the "special inserts" from boxes. They ofter don't guarantee a base set. Case in point, I opened a Heroes Archives archive box, and only received about 25 base cards. The rest of the cards were inserts.
It does vary from archive box to archive box. So it pays to track down information about what you are going to find inside. In recent weeks, I've bought two very different archive boxes. The first was a Justice League of America Archives Archive box from Rittenhouse Archives. It contained all of the base and chase cards from the set along with one sketch from every artist who contributed the release. The contents were all in regular packs inside the box, so it was great fun to open them and find something special in every single one. On the other hand, I also bought and opened a Dexter Season 3 Archive box, or Master Set: Loaded Box to give it its official title. This states on the lid that it does not contain a base card set. It did have an example of everything else that you could have found though, including a sketch card which I hadn't expected. The only disappointment with this box was that the cards came in two lsrge, clear, heat-sealed plastic bags. So no fun from ripping packs but still enjoyable to look through the contents.

If you can track down one of these special boxes for a subject you like at a really good price, then I can definitely recommend the experience but not so much if you don't break the seal and view the contents.

Personal view: if it's an archive box with sketch cards inside then it really should be opened so that the work of the artists involved can be seen and appreciated.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I thought an Archive box was supposed to include a base set with all the inserts? Did they change that or did the company mess it up?

Posts: 97 | Location: United States | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No...they didn't mess up...there are so many inserts in Heroes Archives that I basically got 1 base card per pack.

quote:
quote:
quote:

I thought an Archive box was supposed to include a base set with all the inserts? Did they change that or did the company mess it up?

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem is, there's only so much physical room in a single card box. With some sets, there are so many special inserts and chase cards that they just cannot be fitted all together into a single box. That's why there have been several Archive Boxes released recently that are actually two boxes shrink-wrapped together so that they can accommodate everything. The current James Bond 50th Anniversary set is one example of this.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I picked up a couple of empty Battlestar Galactica archive boxes a few years ago.

So many cards, so little money!

Posts: 643 | Location: Cornwall, England | Registered: October 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
because of my bad luck with bond fullbleed autograph's when buying cases,i decided a couple of years back to get a james bond archive,archive box,it was the best fun ever,2 auto's in every pack,which include a packet with roger moore + george lazenby fullbleed auto's Smile

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post