Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Newbie collector question

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/1567040716

February 23, 2012, 04:10 PM
Klepsis
Newbie collector question
I recently bought several sets of cards and as a bonus the seller included 2 extra items. Both are 7 3/4 in. square and look like they were advertising items from cases. The one for the Don Maitz cards is labeled "deluxe promo # 14", but the one for the Jeffrey Jones set seems to be unlabeled. The Jeff Allender site doesn't mention anything about these as far as I can tell unless they are the dealer sell sheets. Is that what I'm looking at, or are these something different?

Klepsis@austin.rr.com
February 23, 2012, 04:49 PM
chesspieceface
Mr. Allender's site does list the "Deluxe 14" promo in the Maitz listing at the bottom of the checklist.

The Jones cards like the Maitz cards, were also made by the FPG company who often issued case toppers, so there's a good chance that's what you have. Are they on card stock or thin paper? Sell sheets tend to be on paper.

FPG made some really nice case toppers including items like what you have, uncut 8 card sheets signed by the artist in a presentation folder, and even a pencil sketch card drawn by the legendary Ken Kelley himself for his series 2, also in a nice folder.

FPG came and went pretty quick, but they made a lot of great sets during the mid 90's, and except for massive production runs common in those days, they really did operate with the collector in mind.

Comic Images had their own "Keepsake Collections" and those slso included oversized cards like the ones you've described.

February 23, 2012, 05:44 PM
Klepsis
I was looking on the Don Maitz 2 page, since that was the deck I bought. I see the Deluxe 14 promo listed on the first set page now that you've pointed it out. The Jones item is similar in design (4 card illustrations with logo and additional art in the background) and must the 4-card panel promo mentioned at the bottom of the 1st Jeffrey Jones set. Again, I was looking at the page for the second set since that was the set purchased. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction to properly id what I got.
May 05, 2012, 12:25 AM
allender
And thanks for the additional information (I hadn't seen them) that will save the next guy some work. Thumb Up

I'm not sure you're still entitled to call yourself a newbie, though. New to Card Talk maybe. Smokin'