Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Which Manufacturers Are Still In Business
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Manufacturers Are Still In Business
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted
My original post (See below) related to Cards Inc. (UK) but I've realised since I've been away a few years could people fill me in on which manufacturers are still around and if any are (Sadly) no longer around producing sets? Thanks.

Original post : Cards Inc. UK

Think they're a UK based company. I've been compiling a list of sets I've collected over the years and remembered I had a few sets released by them. UK only retail packs. Think they did Harry Potter and Shrek movie tie-ins.

I found an old promo thread a representative from the company did but it's date waaay back to 2002! Their website seems to be outdated.

Trying to find more information on releases they've done but not sure if they're even still in business? Thanks for any help especially if you can direct me to any Card Inc release checklists. Thumb Up

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I think the only manufacturer's in business in the uk are...

Unstoppable Cards

Topps UK

Panini UK

All other manufacturer's from years gone by have ceased operations.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
Did Cards Inc just disappear from the trading card world, then?

I used to love watching them on the QVC UK shopping channel years ago. They had LOTR, Harry Potter and Buffy hours if I remember. I know I bought a lot from them.
I especially loved the LOTR actor signed lithographs. Cate Blanchett being my prize one of those. I remember them saying that Cate liked it so much she kept one for herself.

I vaguely remember Cards Inc separated into two companies with the other called The Collector Zone that sold movie props and merchandise. I think that part is still going, but not on the scale they used to be.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I thought NSU would have a complete list, but it looks like they are missing a number of manufacturers:

http://nonsportupdate.com/card-manufacturers

IE. Lots of small press guys.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
I especially loved the LOTR actor signed lithographs. Cate Blanchett being my prize one of those. I remember them saying that Cate liked it so much she kept one for herself.

Is this what you're referring to? Very nice.
Forgot all about The Collector Zone , don't think they're still around but got a lot from them back in the day. And a website called UK Trading Cards . Don't remember cards on QVC but sounds good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TC00,

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I thought NSU would have a complete list, but it looks like they are missing a number of manufacturers:

Thanks webjon I didn't know about this page. Thumb Up

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I think the only manufacturer's in business in the uk are...

Unstoppable Cards

Topps UK

Panini UK

All other manufacturer's from years gone by have ceased operations.

Thanks Wolfie. Shame those are the only ones still around. Do Panini still do cards or only stickers there days?

We have yet to see what could become of Topps if the US counterpart divides businesses if theres any truth to the rumours. Confused

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
Did Cards Inc just disappear from the trading card world, then?

They were bought by Corgi and then they disappeared...

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:

This list contains CULT-STUFF. This company no longer exists.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

This list contains CULT-STUFF. This company no longer exists.

Just a warning I checked out the NSU manufacturers checklist link (which is fine) but I clicked on the Cult Stuff website (CultStuff.com) and was lucky my anti-virus kicked in because it detected a Trojan virus threat Mad Twak Mad . Just wanted to let people know. Be safe.

Ps. I've contacted NSU via their website feedback form to let them know. Wouldn't want it to happen to any visitors to their site or Cult Stuff.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TC00,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:

I especially loved the LOTR actor signed lithographs. Cate Blanchett being my prize one of those. I remember them saying that Cate liked it so much she kept one for herself./QUOTE]

I did not know these existed. So is the autograph truly hand signed?

I always go crazy with the wording used on these art prints and lithographs. Sometimes the one original was signed and everything else is just a print, with the signature in the print. Then it gets a number for the copy.

If she really signed 1000 lithographs, I would look to try to find one. Can anybody confirm? This might be a UK item only.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
Don't remember cards on QVC but sounds good.

Darren Epstein used to be the seller on the show. Amongst the goodies I bought were Sean Bean FOTR autograph cards (not included in the USA release), and a pack of three oversize 3D promos for the Star Trek: Voyager Profiles set. Both were £25 at the time.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

If she really signed 1000 lithographs, I would look to try to find one. Can anybody confirm? This might be a UK item only.

I don't know but here's one on Ebay UK for £70 (GBP): Cate Blanchett Lithograph

Here's the back of the item listed, it says 'art print features hand-signed autograph'...'foil-stamped print reproduced from original digital master...limited #/1000 :

Here's an another example from a different listing (Ebay UK, £50 GBP), not very good condition but signature looks authentic. Her hand must have been cramping after 1,000 signatures.

posted Hide Post
Yeah that's the lithograph!! Smile
All were hand signed in the presence of Cards Inc. On QVC they would show photos of the actor's signing session.
I keep mine in an art portfoilio case/folder as they're A3 in size, but off the top of my head I had Cate, Miranda Otto, John Rhys Davies and Andy Serkis. I'm probably missing a couple. I'll have to check tomorrow. Smile
They really did a good job on those lithographs.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
Don't remember cards on QVC but sounds good.

Darren Epstein used to be the seller on the show. Amongst the goodies I bought were Sean Bean FOTR autograph cards (not included in the USA release), and a pack of three oversize 3D promos for the Star Trek: Voyager Profiles set. Both were £25 at the time.

They also used to sell the New Zealand stamp sets for LOTR and the Isle of Man issues.
They did sell cards too. I seem to remember a Two Towers German set which was identical to the normal set of cards but with German writing...which I think I have somewhere. They'd occasionally have promo sets and would even release Cards Inc exclusive promos, if my memory serves me correctly.

I also sourced my Sean Bean and Viggo Mortensen FOTR autos from Cards Inc. £30 each on pre-order back then.....absolute bargain!! Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
No cramping TC00, that's a very good autograph for Blanchett. The lady gets way sloppier than that on free autos. Remember me if anyone ever wants to cash out. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Is IKON still around? Think they're an Australian manufacturer created sets for Buffy and Star Wars among others.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cult Stuff disappeared in early 2017.

The last thing they released was a mini "adult" set that January.

They took pre-orders for Sherlock Holmes Hound of the Baskervilles in Jan/Feb 2017. It was supposed to come out that Feb, but nothing ever came about. And nothing from them since.

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cards Inc were originally Inkworks UK branch the Inkworks UK promo cards mostly had the information contacting Cards Inc UK I think it was based in Watford from my earlier experiences with them they were very hard to contact they were in buisness for a time after the Inkworks collapse but then sort of faded away
Piko

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Cult Stuff disappeared in early 2017.

The last thing they released was a mini "adult" set that January.

They took pre-orders for Sherlock Holmes Hound of the Baskervilles in Jan/Feb 2017. It was supposed to come out that Feb, but nothing ever came about. And nothing from them since.

Hope the pre-orders got refunds. Yeah I heard about that. They tried to do a spin off in a very different direction and I don't think it paid off to say the least.