https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/1527031796

October 03, 2021, 04:30 AM
mykdude
1984 Opee Chee Gremlins SCANDAL!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNzt9Sj0cRA

It's not broken....it's the future!

October 03, 2021, 08:34 AM
Raven
The scariest part about that one was the hairstyles. How'd you dig it up? Big Grin

Just goes to prove that there is nothing new about card collectors getting ripped off, but it was cheaper. A pack at .35 cents, $18.90 for 2 cartons/cases. Those were the days. And they keep saying distribution, when its either short printed cards or correlation that's the problem.

There's two complete TOPPS '84 Gremlins sets with stickers up for bids now, lots of partials. O-Pee-Chee was always harder to get.
October 03, 2021, 10:16 AM
mykdude
Someone had posted it on a facebook group.

I think cartons equal boxes. According to Allender the US set had 10 cards plus sticker at 36 packs.

Report says they got a total of 576 cards. I guess O-Pee-Chee had smaller pack or cards per pack numbers?

It does make you wonder if this is the chicken or the egg debate. Was collation just bad and this sort of report sparked an idea or was little Gizmo intentionally short printed?

Looking at the card it does seem like one that would be desirable to collectors. Cool

October 10, 2021, 10:56 AM
barobehere
Frick! No joke, I found a set of the Gremlins stickers for 1.50 at a flea market, a few weeks later a pack at a card show and bought a rack pack for cheap of a web site and now I find that Topps might have short printed some cards! What am I to do about finishing my set??!!!!

Just kidding, If I have waited 37 years to start this set, I can wait a bit more!
October 10, 2021, 07:21 PM
piko
What is new
Topps figured it out years ago
They are still doing it, as well as all other issuers.
October 10, 2021, 11:35 PM
catskilleagle
Yeah, it's great to watch a hard-hitting 80's consumer report about cards. The bonus was the local show video and theme music of limited sound quality. It seems like the 80's was the last decade that had distinctive clothing. 90's clothing looks pretty much like 2000's clothing. It's been thirty years since I've seen someone in orange plastic pants unless it was Halloween. It's makes me laugh when I see women in go-go outfits as a costume. That's what some were wearing to work in the early 70's.

In the 70's-early 80's, I just bought packs at the ice cream shop/comic book store and didn't even think about buying a box wholesale. It was before someone told me about taking out the middleman.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The scariest part about that one was the hairstyles. How'd you dig it up? Big Grin

Just goes to prove that there is nothing new about card collectors getting ripped off, but it was cheaper. A pack at .35 cents, $18.90 for 2 cartons/cases. Those were the days. And they keep saying distribution, when its either short printed cards or correlation that's the problem.

There's two complete TOPPS '84 Gremlins sets with stickers up for bids now, lots of partials. O-Pee-Chee was always harder to get.