Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medallion Card
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kennywood,

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I allways assumed it was the equivalant of Inkworks one in every three boxes sort of card.

Back in the days before autographs, it was the rarest card in the set.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, this was a card that was inserted something like one every three or four boxes of a card product. It usually was a different image than other cards in the set, with a printed medallion on the back. It was generally numbered out of something like 500 or 1000, so it was somewhat rare. I think these tended to be mostly in Comic Images products (Conan, Boris, stuff like that). I find they are generally not hard to locate on the auction site, for pretty reasonable prices.

Posts: 1459 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
As Will said, it was one of Comic Images insert card types. I don't think anyone else every used the term. There's a picture of a GI Joe Medallion Card on this page.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
BORIS Medallion Cards, fronts & backs. The 1st is from BORIS 4, the other two are from BORIS ALL-CHROMIUM:

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
What's more I have noted a trend in pricing these cards on Ebay. The closer the card number is to card #1 (or conversely the last card in the limited edition) the higher the price. A single digit card will always command a much higher price than a middle-order number.
Human nature for the demand of being the 'first' I suppose.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It looks like Comic Images first used the medallions in the late-1993 Sorayama 2 set. I found 41 series through 1995. Not all of them were numbered, and a few sets had both numbered and unnumbered versions as pack-pulls. When the distribution is known, ithe early sets were mostly 2:case (1:6 boxes) and the later sets were mostly 4:case (1:3 boxes).

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
those were the good old days
you could buy a box real cheap and make 3-5 base sets and get some chase cards

Posts: 91 | Location: ma | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the "old days" when collectors were complaining about too many base sets in a box thus resulting in sets worth under $5 and no place to store them.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember the "old days" (early 1995) when I bought 3 boxes of Prince Valiant cards by Comic Images, and pulled from them ALL of the chase cards, the medallion card, and 2 redemptions for the autos (only 500 autos made)

Maybe they didn't release many boxes ? Smile

Posts: 4720 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
I have many Medallion cards. All from Comic Images.
The quality of the images on the cards was always high def.
Ace

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post