Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    SIMPSONS art de bart redeeption sketch
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIMPSONS art de bart redeeption sketch
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
There was a card sold on ebay for $800 on Aug. 31, 2013 (#193). This was in the description.....

"This card HAS the embossed SkyBox seal on it as well. It is reputed that of the 400 cards available, only 147 were actually claimed via redemption cards in the original packs, and only these 147 bear the skybox seal. The others were given away by SkyBox to friends and family. Cards WITH the seal are an amazing rarity."

Does the embossed seal make a difference on the price/value?

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The main indicator of the value isn't so much the stamp, but rather the art on them. Non-Bart cards seem to be scarcer, so they're worth more, as are those with more details, more than one character, or word balloons present in the drawing.

If these cards were easy to fake, the embossed seal might make a difference, but due to the raised gold foil around the illustration, they would be extremely difficult to counterfeit.

(On the other hand, copying the actual drawing wouldn't be so hard. Groening isn't exactly Art Adams, George Perez, Jim Lee, or Geof Darrow where detail is concerned).

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are some great cards that everyone has posted. Did not pull mine from a pack but met Matt Groening and he was kind Enough to not only Autograph my card but did a sketch also. Just would like to Share it with all of you.

Posts: 31 | Location: N.Y | Registered: May 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

The card is embossed.

Posts: 2 | Location: USA | Registered: March 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hello, all. Figured I'd register and add mine to the record books. I got mine out of a pack, probably, within the first week or so of the release of series 1. I really wanted to send mine in for a cool art card, but even at 13 years old I thought, you know, I'll bet a ton of people are going to send theirs in and this Lucky Day Card will be much harder to get down the road. Little did I realize at the time, just how hard the Lucky Day Card would be to come by, very glad I hung onto mine.

I've checked the internet a few times over the last ten years and there's not a lot of info available on these cards. I was going through my cards the other day and remembered that I had this one so it got me to wondering what the value might be on one of these, but they're so scarce and you barely see them for sale, I have no idea what a serious collector would even offer for one of these. Have any of these sold recently, or on record at all, in the last year or two? I know something is only worth what someone will pay for it, but I was hoping someone would have a ballpark figure...

Posts: 4 | Location: Twin Cities, MN | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think an uncut sheet sold recently. Those are unusual sheets in that they are just one card per sheet.

I remember there used to be a number bandied about regarding how many of them were redeemed, and it was somewhere around 150. It's likely Skybox trashed the cards that were sent in, so that would leave the 250 left from the packs, including yours. Some of those will remain in sealed boxes, and there's no doubt that some were effectively destroyed by people who didn't know what they had. While it's unlikely, it's possible that in those dark ages (the mid 90's) between the issue of the cards and the real advent of the internet for everyone, someone might have actually pulled one of these from the pack, and just tossed it, seeing that it was expired.

All that to say, I would wager there are less than 100 of them in collections, so it is an amazing collectible to be sure.

As for the sketches, Groening likely did draw all 400 of them promised, and as we've seen, some of those on the market lacked the usual Skybox embossing which means that the cards that weren't redeemed all made it to the aftermarket. If my conjecture is anywhere close to the mark, I would say the Lucky Day card is 4 times rarer than the actual sketch, but each sketch is a totally unique card unlike the Lucky Day card, which has to be taken into account.

With that in mind, I place the value of the Lucky Day card at 2.5 to 3 times the value of the sketch. The sketch value seems to be around $1000 (more or less, depending on the actual drawing on the card, but about double of what it was just 10 years ago) so I'd put the value of the Lucky Day at $2,500...which I would not be able to pay, and I'd say Simpsons are in my top 3 card interests along with Star Wars and Super-heroes, so that's an indication that it can be a little tough to find buyer's for such high end items, but I wouldn't take less than 2K for it, ever.

Welcome to the board, and congrats on your card and your wisdom to not send it in (where value is concerned, as again, on a card to card basis, I'd rather have the sketch, especially one of the more unusual ones, even though I'd be in a more exclusive club if I had the Lucky Day card)!

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yeah, I hear ya. As a kid, I was never concerned with the value of cards or what they might be worth in the future. I just felt like it was a good idea to hang onto it. But, I would absolutely love to have an Art de Bart card with a custom drawing on it. I am so bummed that I don't have one!

Posts: 4 | Location: Twin Cities, MN | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Welcome to the board, and congrats on your card and your wisdom to not send it in (where value is concerned, as again, on a card to card basis, I'd rather have the sketch, especially one of the more unusual ones, even though I'd be in a more exclusive club if I had the Lucky Day card)!

This story brings up one of those hobby quirks that my own common sense always has a hard time crasping, even though I understand the reasoning behind it.

The redemption card was not sent in, but it is now more valuable than the prize, even though it was a nice prize. Confused

Sure there are a lot fewer redemption cards left than the 400 sketch cards made and that's where the price comes in, but I personnally would really like one of those sketch cards, where as I don't give a fig about the unredeemed card no matter what its supposed to be worth.Big Grin

No way would I ever hold on to any winning ticket and let the prize go.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Another redemption card oddity are the ones found in Star Wars Galaxy 1 & 2. They were tough to find, especially in Series 1, and what they got you in return was an artist signed base card that had no certification of any kind, just an artist signature. As a result, the signed card, while known to the original owner to be absolutely authentic, held no such distinction to anyone else. As a result, those cards can be had for little to nothing in most cases, and are also pretty much indistinguishable from the same card signed by the artist at any time in the 20 years since.

The result: there is an endless, infinite supply of Star Wars Galaxy artist autograph cards while the unused redemption cards (particularly series 1), themselves fairly generic pink and blue cards with only text on front and a black reverse are far more collectible these days than the prize you'd have received for sending it in.

Ordinarily, I'd rather have the prize card, but since effectively, no one but the prize winner could even be sure that what Topps sent even was a prize card, I'd rather have the redemption card that I sent in still in my collection instead of the Joe Phillips base card autograph I got for it.

Flash forward about nearly 20 years, and all those unredeemed artist autographs finally were issue as in insert in a Star Wars Galaxy, but now with the new Galaxy 5 logo affixed, finally certifying them as "authentic" autograph cards, the way they should've been issued in the first place. Better late than never.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

This story brings up one of those hobby quirks that my own common sense always has a hard time crasping, even though I understand the reasoning behind it.

The redemption card was not sent in, but it is now more valuable than the prize, even though it was a nice prize. Confused

Sure there are a lot fewer redemption cards left than the 400 sketch cards made and that's where the price comes in, but I personnally would really like one of those sketch cards, where as I don't give a fig about the unredeemed card no matter what its supposed to be worth.Big Grin

No way would I ever hold on to any winning ticket and let the prize go.

I do think that 50 years from now, the actual sketch will be significantly more valuable than the Lucky Day card. The drawings are each one of a kind, it's just that Mr. Groening is happily still with us (and for many years to come, I'm sure) and he has always been a very willing sketch-er. Ultimately, though, how many of those sketches will be as easy to certify as authentic as the ones found on these Art D'Bart cards? Very few, I'm sure.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Joey Jo-Jo, here will be a good indicator of your card's current value in about one week's time:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-S...p2056016.m2518.l4276

This one (absolutely not mine, nor do I know the seller, so I think it's OK to post the link, but moderator, please remove with my apologies, if not) is graded by PSA and it has a 9, so it's a pretty sharp example.

posted Hide Post
I never collected these cards, but I do like Simpsons and I like the variety of sketches.

Another example is bone sketch cards. Even though they are limited to 100, all the sketches are the same. At least I don't think there is an oddball one. So I would put a higher value for a more common Simpson sketch card. The "more common" doesn't come to play considering how many different images there are.

David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I like having these, and indeed would not trade them for a Lucky Day card AND an Art d'Bart. Groening made them up, but these guys are better artists, and six of them (Wes Archer, David Silverman, Mike B. Anderson, Mark Kirkland, Jim Reardon, and Rich Moore) are the directors of a huge chunk of the episodes now considered to be the Simpsons' Golden Age. I might not feel the same if I didn't also have plenty of drawings Matt did for me in person, but I do. Big Grin

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Joey Jo-Jo, here will be a good indicator of your card's current value in about one week's time:

This one (absolutely not mine, nor do I know the seller, so I think it's OK to post the link, but moderator, please remove with my apologies, if not) is graded by PSA and it has a 9, so it's a pretty sharp example.

It's funny to actually see one on ebay because over the years, I randomly check just out of curiosity and whenever I check, I can never find one. Mine went into it's plastic case as soon as I got it, so I know mine is in good shape too. I'll be interested to see what the final price is.

That said, I really have no desire to sell it at this point, but I've always been curious what one might go for.

chesspieceface, those are all very cool!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joey-Joe-Joe-Shabadoo:
quote:

It's funny to actually see one on ebay because over the years, I randomly check just out of curiosity and whenever I check, I can never find one. Mine went into it's plastic case as soon as I got it, so I know mine is in good shape too. I'll be interested to see what the final price is.

That said, I really have no desire to sell it at this point, but I've always been curious what one might go for.

chesspieceface, those are all very cool!

That is why when "I look around" for the sake of just looking, I look at "closed" or "sold" auctions instead of only what's for sale now which is a smaller window and only shows items people decide to sell at that time. The sold search goes back up to 2 months I think.

David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, as of now, it's worth about #1,000, but that could change. There's still 4-5 days left.
Joey, you may want to consider getting yours graded. Not only will it make it more valuable, and completely authenticate it should you ever want to sell it, but also those holders PSA (or BGS) use protect the cards very well and are tamper proof.

I've seen about 10 sell over the years, and for under a thousand at least a few of the times, but those days may be gone for good.

posted Hide Post
Or just encapsulated. I had a few things that were extremely rare and some were "canceled" so if I had it graded, they wouldn't due to "damage", but I still wanted it protected.

Not sure if all companies do just encapsulation for just protection.

David

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As we can see, we know they can get at least a PSA 9 even with the handwritten (by a Skybox employee) numbers on the back of the card.
I don't think we'll ever see one with a person's name and address on the back, since hopefully, anyone who did that actually sent the card in.

I would say to any owners of this card (or similar modern rare and higher valued cards) that if you think the card would rate an "8" or higher, it's generally worth your while to get it graded.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The "Lucky Day" card in PSA 9 condition, as it turns out, is worth $2,827.

Yours looks to be pretty nice, Joey, so purely, on the "value" end, you made the right choice by not sending it in as I don't think any of the Art D'Bart sketches would go for that much. Perhaps the #1 card or a particularly ornate one with several characters, but most top out around $1,500 at most.

Based on what we've just seen, I would absolutely get it graded by PSA or BGS. There is no doubt the seller having done that with the one just sold received more for it as a result, and there's really no arguing condition or authenticity once the buyer gets it, peace of mind all around that makes the $30 or so to get it graded a bargain.

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm actually pretty shocked at the final price. I looked earlier when there was about a day left and the price had been hovering right around $1,000 for quite a while. I checked yesterday when there were a few hours left and it was around $2,200 and even that surprised me. Seeing the final price is quite amazing. I didn't think it would get anywhere near that high. I figured it would end around $1,500. Granted, this auction doesn't necessarily mean every Lucky Day card is going to go for that high, but it definitely shows that there's, apparently, quite a demand for it. I might just have to spring the $35 bucks and get mine graded. LOL!