Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Un-Slab
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Not sure if this has been discussed before but has anyone successfully un-slabbed a card before?

Looking at a couple of potential buys where some idiot spent more on the slab than what the card is worth. Not to mention the cards are less than 5 years old. For a standard, new collection graded cards really throw my OCD all out of whack!

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's quite easy. Simply use a dykes (wire cutter)to snip off a top corner of the slab. Insert a flat head screwdriver in between the opening and gently twist it around the edges of the slab breaking the seal. there's also plenty of youtube videos demonstrating this.

Good luck!

Posts: 30 | Location: NEW YORK | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
They un-slab graded cards all the time.

They send a card away thinking it's a 9 or higher and it comes back an 8 for deductions they overlooked. A graded 8 won't sell well, so they bust it out and go back to trying to sell it ungraded. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I did it last week, with an auto card that was probably worth no more than $ 10-15. I wanted to put it in my binder with the other autos from this particular set

I used gardening shears to break off a corner, and then proceeded to break the case piece by piece. I had plastic all over, but the card was not damaged

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
You might want to wear safety goggles or sunglasses when you do this. I've unslabbed a couple of cards and had little bits of plastic go flying each time.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Cool,

I have never really tried it, so I figured I would make sure it does not damage the card before I bid on it. :-)

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm less graceful than some of these fine suggestions. Once in awhile I'll end up having to buy a slabbed card to complete a vintage set ... and I always have a pair of pliers in the living room. At the top right corner I just 'bite' the slab corner off with the pliers and then jam a flat head screwdriver in the space left by the bite and 'rotate' the flathead. This separates the slab halves. Naturally, do this over a trash can because those little slab shards are a ***** to step on with bare feet.

Posts: 45 | Location: Nevada | Registered: April 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post