Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Un-Slab

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/1357009486

December 14, 2016, 12:08 PM
mykdude
Un-Slab
Not sure if this has been discussed before but has anyone successfully un-slabbed a card before?

Looking at a couple of potential buys where some idiot spent more on the slab than what the card is worth. Not to mention the cards are less than 5 years old. For a standard, new collection graded cards really throw my OCD all out of whack!

December 14, 2016, 12:17 PM
GUCD231
It's quite easy. Simply use a dykes (wire cutter)to snip off a top corner of the slab. Insert a flat head screwdriver in between the opening and gently twist it around the edges of the slab breaking the seal. there's also plenty of youtube videos demonstrating this.

Good luck!

December 14, 2016, 01:11 PM
Raven
They un-slab graded cards all the time.

They send a card away thinking it's a 9 or higher and it comes back an 8 for deductions they overlooked. A graded 8 won't sell well, so they bust it out and go back to trying to sell it ungraded. Wink
December 14, 2016, 03:34 PM
David R
I did it last week, with an auto card that was probably worth no more than $ 10-15. I wanted to put it in my binder with the other autos from this particular set

I used gardening shears to break off a corner, and then proceeded to break the case piece by piece. I had plastic all over, but the card was not damaged
December 16, 2016, 09:16 PM
kbmum
You might want to wear safety goggles or sunglasses when you do this. I've unslabbed a couple of cards and had little bits of plastic go flying each time.
December 17, 2016, 07:47 AM
mykdude
Cool,

I have never really tried it, so I figured I would make sure it does not damage the card before I bid on it. :-)

December 24, 2016, 11:36 PM
Richard Parks
I'm less graceful than some of these fine suggestions. Once in awhile I'll end up having to buy a slabbed card to complete a vintage set ... and I always have a pair of pliers in the living room. At the top right corner I just 'bite' the slab corner off with the pliers and then jam a flat head screwdriver in the space left by the bite and 'rotate' the flathead. This separates the slab halves. Naturally, do this over a trash can because those little slab shards are a ***** to step on with bare feet.