Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    CALLING ON WEBJON -- NEED YOUR OPINON PLEASE! :)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CALLING ON WEBJON -- NEED YOUR OPINON PLEASE! :)
 Login/Join

posted
Got this as part of a high end trade. I know the scans are not that great, so I added some high res shots taken with my iPhone camera. I never knew how great the quality of that little iPhone camera was until now.

The person who made the trade with me purchased the card from eBay seller paxilany1 just a week or so ago. The same seller also sold a sealed Robert Downey Jr. Iron Man auto, as well as some other non sports autograph cards.

The front is a matte finish, and the back has more of a gloss to it. I don't have any other Iron Man autographs in my collection to compare this one to.

I definitely see some darker ink spots in the "g" in Bridges where he would have overlapped the marker, and there is a definite pressure point at the end of the signature, and in the lower part of the dot of the "I" in Bridges

All the little white marks on the scans are just from a crappy scanner, except the white mark below the "JE" in Jeff Bridges.

Opinions welcome, just trying to be cautious.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NonSportCardGuy26,

Posts: 109 | Location: Ormond Beach, FL | Registered: June 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Saw your PM on the other board and responded. . .

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:

Yes, but what was your opinion webjon?

Not having any signature to compare it to, I can't say whether the autograph looks genuine or not. The card seems fine, but it is a scan. The signature appears to have bled a little, but that doesn't have much meaning to me, as does the small dot at the end. Normal autographs can have that too.

The one thing I find curious is that someone would buy this fairly expensive card one week and than trade it away the next week. I mean why buy it at all? I could see it, if you had a ready buyer and it could be flipped for a cash profit.

But as a trade, how would you know you could include it in a trade and still make a profit? And you must make a profit, or else buying it makes no sense at all since you are willing to let the card go a mere seven days later.

That bothers me a lot more than just looking at the card. But I could be reading too much into it. Wink People do odd things.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I have the Robert Downey Jr. from that set, and I got in from the pack myself, so I don't have to worry about it, but check out my lousy old scan of it from the ancient flatbed scanner I used up until just a couple of years ago:

Looks a little fake, huh? Smile

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When it comes to Rittenhouse and authenticity I find touch is as reliable as sight. Genuine RA cards are glossier on the back than they are on the front - the front feeling more 'mat' - whereas a fake would tend to have an even texture.

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

I did a quick look to see if anything is obviously wrong. . . in this case nothing is obviously wrong to my eye.

That said to really research a card based on scan can take an hour or more -- especially if you don't find anything obviously wrong. . . Also, as Kris says -- there is no substitute for comparing to another card in person.

Unfortunately I've never researched this card before, but at a glance it seems ok to me.

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

I did a quick look to see if anything is obviously wrong. . . in this case nothing is obviously wrong to my eye.

That said to really research a card based on scan can take an hour or more -- especially if you don't find anything obviously wrong. . . Also, as Kris says -- there is no substitute for comparing to another card in person.

Unfortunately I've never researched this card before, but at a glance it seems ok to me.

That's what I thought you'd say and I would agree. The card looks good based on the scan, but the best way is always to physically compare it to another copy of the exact same card. If you can't get that, at least another autograph card belonging to the same set might help authentic the card, if not the signature.

Unfortunately with these rarer cards you seldom have the chance to get your hands on more than one.

As for autographs, you do want to find genuine examples for comparison, but they still should all be slightly different. The single mistake that people make is thinking that the autograph must always look exactly the same to be real, when in fact that is not the mark of a real signature, but of an autopen.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post