Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Promo Cards
 Login/Join

posted
So, thanks to Breygent and the Red Sonja and Vampirella sets, I have suddenly become hooked on promos.. and find myself trying to get promos for everything..

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on promos, if people collect them and how they manage them, I have started a seperate folder as it such a busy collection and it is easier to have one (now two) folders, I can just grab them quickly to see what was going on without going through multiple folders to find a set I am trying to finish off..

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drofdarb:
So, thanks to Breygent and the Red Sonja and Vampirella sets, I have suddenly become hooked on promos.. and find myself trying to get promos for everything..

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on promos, if people collect them and how they manage them, I have started a seperate folder as it such a busy collection and it is easier to have one (now two) folders, I can just grab them quickly to see what was going on without going through multiple folders to find a set I am trying to finish off..

I don't collect random promo cards, but I do pick up the ones that I need for master sets and I keep them with the set.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
There are some series that all I care about having are the promos.

Posts: 147 | Location: NC | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HAPPY JACK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drofdarb:

drofdarb, send me an email when you get a chance and I will tell you all about them!

Posts: 90 | Location: USA | Registered: July 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
drofdarb, Just as an FYI, there is a series of books devoted completely to promo cards and their values (among other things). They're called "Promo Card Encyclopedia". Todd Jordan has authored numerous volumes and Non-Sport Update has been involved with the last several of them. You can find details on this page.

Best of luck with your collection. You'll find lots of knowledgeable promo card collectors around here.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You can also listen to episode 44 of UK Card Cast's podcast. It's all about promo cards and features NSU's Bill Defranzo and Harris Toser.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
My personal thoughts on promos:

One of my favourite type of cards.

Originally I did collect promos - much like yourself randomly (and some went into official binders for master sets) and built up a collection of a few hundred. (Not a lot compared to some).

I eventually decided to 'turn over' my set, change direction, collect other sets etc so the promos were very useful trade material. They went faster than any other type of card including autographs!

In terms of how I originally managed my promo set I did very much what you have - I put them in their own binder with 9 pocket pages and I think I preferred to arrange them in either year of set release or more prefrably (for me) as the collection increasrd I put them in alphabetical order which worked find for me. It was easy to reference and look for a particular promo for show or trade. Though I did find it irritating to have to shift cards when a new one came into the collection.

It was very enjoyable and being a regular buyer of NSU (since im based in the UK) meant my promo collection grew a lot faster than it ordinarily would have without the magazine.

Good luck!! Promos are rather addictive Thumb Up

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Promos are rather addictive

indeed they are.. as is this hobby..

a promo card enclyopedia.. with over 8,000 promos.. oh dear..

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
You can also listen to episode 44 of UK Card Cast's podcast. It's all about promo cards and features NSU's Bill Defranzo and Harris Toser.

there's a podcast for trading cards.. awesome..

posted Hide Post
Ok, so my promo cards collecting is going well, I notice some promos are actually quite exepnsive as they are limited releases.

Is this a new trend?

What is the most epxensive/rare promo you guys know of?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of little boxes full of promos that I get from dealers, NSU and other random places. If it happens that I make a base set later on (I don't attempt masters) I will look to add any appropriate promos I have to my new little box of base cards. Wink

Once every few months I go through my couple of little boxes full of promo cards and toss out the ones for things I never bought and people I don't know. Confessions of a promo killer, I see them as advertisements only. Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I have a couple of little boxes full of promos that I get from dealers, NSU and other random places. If it happens that I make a base set later on (I don't attempt masters) I will look to add any appropriate promos I have to my new little box of base cards. Wink

Once every few months I go through my couple of little boxes full of promo cards and toss out the ones for things I never bought and people I don't know. Confessions of a promo killer, I see them as advertisements only. Big Grin

I like promos except for the extremely nebulous production runs. You can kind of take guesses at how many there are of base and regular insert cards (and certainly numbered inserts), but with promos, it's really difficult to know how many were made. For instance, people seem more than willing to pay large amounts for various Cryptozoic promos, but its really hard to say exactly how many are out there.

The 90's were a really great time for promos as I remember getting a stack of them each month from the various publications such as Diamond Previews, Capital City Advance Comics, Triton, Cards Illustrated, Star Wars Galaxy, Tuff Stuff Collect!, Wizard, Combo, Overstreet Comic Book Monthly, FAN, and a little mag called Non-Sport Update, which has been for some time now the last survivor of the whole bunch (barring "Previews" although they only issue promo cards once in a great while).

These days, it's like you have to know the people who run the companies to get most promos, and how do we know they don't have a suitcase full of each of them somewhere, even the "rare" ones?

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
"What is the most epxensive/rare promo you guys know of?"

There is a thread titled "which is the rarest promo card" which you will find in the general promo card talk section which may answer many of your questions. Welcome to promo card collecting
drofdarb!!!!

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
I store my promos by year and noted the other day that I virtually have no promos prior to 1992.
Does anyone know of promo cards earlier than this?

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Moderator?
Perhaps this thread belongs in the promo card talk section instead of here.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
Raven,...............Nevermore !!!!!!!!!!!!! Throwing away promos Frown Frown, when I can find a home for them ???? Frown Frown And btlfannz, I have a Robot Carnival promo card - dated 1990.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
I store my promos by year and noted the other day that I virtually have no promos prior to 1992.
Does anyone know of promo cards earlier than this?

1984 for Star Trek Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
And btlfannz, I have a Robot Carnival promo card - dated 1990.

I suspect that if you look closely at your Masters Of Japanation card Robot Carnival you will find that it is actually printed in 1994. The 1990 date is that of the artwork copywright.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post