Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Non Sport Card manufacturer Ephemera
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non Sport Card manufacturer Ephemera
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
Lately, I have been concentrating on documenting various aspects of non sports card collecting of the past 30 years.
For example, I was looking through some older stuff and rediscovered a Card Collector's Album manufactured by Impel with 2 types of empty 9 card sheets inside. The sheets have either the word "Impel" or the words "Impel POLYPRO" (with a trademark sign), pre-printed on the lower corners in solid Blue ink. The album is unremarkable except for the words " Impel Collector's Album emblazoned on the spine and the front. It is grey and blue.I didn't remember that Impel had its own album and storage pages.

Do you know of other card manufacturers' proprietary products, albums or sheets not dealing with a particular release?
Have you come across any promotional pamphlets, brochures, correspondence or any other type of ephemera(not cards or sell sheets) which advertises or promotes the manufacturer rather than one of its specific product or license.
I believe this kind of stuff needs to be documented for future generations of card collectors especially the kind emanating from the older, now defunct, manufacturers such as Impel; Skybox; Collect-A Card and Kitchen Sink to name a few and there is no better place than here to document what's still out there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

We remember those mini-folders that Pro Set released for SuperStars MusiCards and PGA Golf. Each could hold two cards, but a few years ago, I noticed a similar folder from Skybox that could also hold two cards. I saw a photo of it and it was said to be made of plastic. It didn't promote a set - just the company. Someone told me there was also a Skybox sticker that just promoted the company.

I'd have to look through my stuff to see if I have anything else like that. It seems to me that I saw something else recently like that from Impel.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Lately, I have been concentrating on documenting various aspects of non sports card collecting of the past 30 years.
For example, I was looking through some older stuff and rediscovered a Card Collector's Album manufactured by Impel with 2 types of empty 9 card sheets inside. The sheets have either the word "Impel" or the words "Impel POLYPRO" (with a trademark sign), pre-printed on the lower corners in solid Blue ink. The album is unremarkable except for the words " Impel Collector's Album emblazoned on the spine and the front. It is grey and blue.I didn't remember that Impel had its own album and storage pages.

Do you know of other card manufacturers' proprietary products, albums or sheets not dealing with a particular release?
Have you come across any promotional pamphlets, brochures, correspondence or any other type of ephemera(not cards or sell sheets) which advertises or promotes the manufacturer rather than one of its specific product or license.
I believe this kind of stuff needs to be documented for future generations of card collectors especially the kind emanating from the older, now defunct, manufacturers such as Impel; Skybox; Collect-A Card and Kitchen Sink to name a few and there is no better place than here to document what's still out there.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I've only got inkworks envelope and A4 sheet of paper

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I've got this DC binder. I have no idea what it was made for, but I keep my SUPERMAN MOVIE cards in it. Never did get that number 2 magnet card.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful DC album, Cardaddict!!! If everyone could post pictures of their item(s),this thread could become the repository of images for the future. I am very sorry, but I still don't know how to post pictures here.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
At one point I had a press kit from Inkworks advertising Men In Black. It was a folder with various information / flyers in it.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
I've got a really cool Inkworks Swiss-Army-type pocket knife.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I'm writing here with an Upper Deck pen.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Really can't think of too many items that would be available to the general collector.

I am sure trade shows and conventions had a variety of promotional items to hand out. Possibly stuff sent out direct to dealers.

Are you interested in those as well?

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
This is the only Inkworks non-card promo item I have, a box used to house the Artists Proof Bond coin:

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I do not think that I have anything in the advertising line that only is company not card related am still looking.
Cardaddict is that box from the USA or UK the gold seal is a design that I have not seen before on Inkworks materials, but they could of made different ones for different products

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Companies put blank filler cards in packs to stop people from feeling for the costume card.

I have a couple from Fleer that just advertise Fleer as opposed to a set.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I have a standard size promo card from Cult Stuff numbered JJ1. This was not done for a set but used really as a business card for the manager Jason Johnson.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of lesser-seen folders connected to Collector's Sportslook. in the January 1994 issue there was an exclusive Magic Johnson card inserted. It doesn't appear to be part of a sports set. It shows Magic in street clothes and celebrates his career. There is also another version of the card with his name and the Skybox logo in gold foil. It was slabbed and double sticker-sealed then sent to some dealers in a vinyl folder that says Collector's Sportslook on the front and Wizard Press on the back. It has an inside pocket for a COA and one for the card.

The other folder is 4 1/4 x 5 3/4 (closed) and it appears both are the same size. It says "Wizard Press Presents Wizard The Guide to Comics and Collector's Sportslook" in gold foil on the front (blank on the back). It also has an inside pocket on each side. I don't know what were in the pockets but think it could have been a COA and the gold foil variant of the Spawn hockey card that was also slabbed and sealed. I've seen a gold foil version of the Zealot soccer card though it wasn't in a case.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
piko -- I did not see your question until today, when reading Jess's post, sorry!
I bought the box in the USA at a card show from a dealer I knew for many years, so I assume it is from the USA.

He mentioned a clear cube Inkworks had made housing one of the coins, which I've never seen. I've always wanted one, though.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is what you mean because its a card, but I have Upper Deck's Kobe Bryant Santa card. That one was not part of any set, but was supposed to have been given out to UD employees and I would imagine big customers exclusively. Bryant was under UD contract and he was hired to show up at a Xmas meeting in a Santa suit. They cut up the suit and made oversized swatch cards. Of course they got out into the market shortly afterwards, at least that was the story. I have one with all red fur.

Haven't thought about it in awhile, couldn't find one on eBay just now. Can't remember the print run, but the price had fallen off what I paid for it last I saw a few years ago. Don't know what happened to it since his death as they all went up something.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Raven,
I thought you didn't collect promos cause that sure is one! Big Grin and I'm sure very valuable today. BUT that's not really what I had in mind. As some people have mentioned already, there are pens, folders,brochures etc.. What other non-card gadgets (products) are out there bearing the Topps, Inkworks etc..logos ?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yep, I usually get promos by accident, but that one I picked up for a little over $100 because Bryant was the newest superstar at the time. I never really thought of it as a promo because it wasn't attached to any product and was supposed to be more of a Xmas card to UD employees, or so the story went.

I wouldn't know what price guide might be listing it. Like I said, a few years back I saw it selling for much less than what I paid, so if it got valuable it's probably for the wrong reason. I can't think of anything else along the lines of what you want unfortunately.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Does the Titanic chest count?
It's not a card.
I'm not sure Inkworks had anything to do with the 007 set.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I have that Titanic Chest also, but it has the cards inside so I just regard it as the packaging. There were 10,000 made, and although I've seen the whole set listed fairly high in guides, I have also seen blowout sales. I think I picked up 2 of them for $40 about 15 years ago. It seems like there is no demand despite the presentation, which goes to the long term investment value of entertainment cards.